OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Amazing substance. It would be interesting to see some experience reports. Have you personally used this substance Haidut?

Yep, I like it the most from all serotonin antagonists I have tried. When used on its own it is better than ritanserin and in combination with lisuride is a great anti-stress and pro-metabolic tool. Also, for me it is really good a alleviating IBS symptoms when I eat very spicy food or a lot of starch.

Tarmander

Yep, I like it the most from all serotonin antagonists I have tried. When used on its own it is better than ritanserin and in combination with lisuride is a great anti-stress and pro-metabolic tool. Also, for me it is really good a alleviating IBS symptoms when I eat very spicy food or a lot of starch.
This seems pretty similar to quinine. Have you done much experimenting with Quinine, does it feel similar?

DaveFoster

Hmm; I'm interested in making a purchase.

Why do you use it in combination with lisuride? Is there not sufficient overlap that a higher dose of metergoline could not achieve on its own?

Also, do you know metergoline's effect with regard to blood pressure? I'd assume lower doses decrease blood pressure, while higher doses would result in an increase.

Lastly, have you used metergoline/lisuride with caffeine, and do you find they have additive effects or rather mostly overlap in their effects? I guess what I'm asking is: do you think that the ergot derivatives/dopamine agonists possess positive effects beyond those of caffeine alone?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Hmm; I'm interested in making a purchase.

Why do you use it in combination with lisuride? Is there not sufficient overlap that a higher dose of metergoline could not achieve on its own?

Also, do you know metergoline's effect with regard to blood pressure? I'd assume lower doses decrease blood pressure, while higher doses would result in an increase.

Lastly, have you used metergoline/lisuride with caffeine, and do you find they have additive effects or rather mostly overlap in their effects? I guess what I'm asking is: do you think that the ergot derivatives/dopamine agonists possess positive effects beyond those of caffeine alone?

I don't always use it with lisuride. When I do use it with lisuride it is because of the synergistic effects as described in the original post. For drugs like bromocriptine, metergoline blocks their potential fibrotic side effects.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
This seems pretty similar to quinine. Have you done much experimenting with Quinine, does it feel similar?

Why is it similar to quinine? I don't see any similarity in structure...

Tarmander

Why is it similar to quinine? I don't see any similarity in structure...

Structure would be different. I could have sworn that I read Metergoline was a TPH inhibitor...but I can't find where I read that now.

DaveFoster

I don't always use it with lisuride. When I do use it with lisuride it is because of the synergistic effects as described in the original post. For drugs like bromocriptine, metergoline blocks their potential fibrotic side effects.
Thanks for elaborating.

About the blood pressure; the reason I asked was this:

Cardiovascular effects of lisuride continuous intravenous infusion in fluctuating Parkinson's disease. - PubMed - NCBI

"The cardiovascular effects of a continuous intravenous infusion of lisuride plus oral domperidone were studied in 16 fluctuating parkinsonian patients as compared to their usual oral therapy with levodopa plus carbidopa. The study was performed using a 24-h ambulatory recording and an automatic noninvasive device for blood pressure monitoring. During lisuride infusion, a significant increase of systolic blood pressure was observed; however, in three patients, a decrease of systolic-diastolic blood pressure occurred; furthermore, a mild increase of atrial arrhythmias and, in two patients, a short run of atrial fibrillation were noted. Asymptomatic orthostatic hypotension, observed in seven patients during levodopa therapy, disappeared during lisuride infusion. Paradoxical hypertensive effects and disappearance of orthostatic hypotension observed in our patients seem related to the concurrent administration of domperidone."

On second look, I realize that they credit it to domperidone, the D2 antagonist used in this study, which would raise serotonin, so pay me no mind.

Quality

Longtime lurker here, this thread got me to register. Depending on how reviews go I might order this in the future :)

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Structure would be different. I could have sworn that I read Metergoline was a TPH inhibitor...but I can't find where I read that now.

Dopamine and dopamine agonists are TPH inhibitors. So, if metergoline is indeed a D2 agonist then it should reduce serotonin synthesis. In fact, one of the studies posted in the references section says metergoline lowers serotonin synthesis, so maybe that's the one you are remembering.

Quality

Haidut what payment options does your website have?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Haidut what payment options does your website have?

Well, credit cards would be the only real option right now. We used to have PayPal, which allowed us to get echeck and money transfers but we don't have PayPal any more.

DennisX

Metergoline is a 5HT3 and 5HT4 antagonist which helps with IBS-C and IBS-D ?

Katty

Would there be any problems taking metergoline and acetazolamide at the same time?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Metergoline is a 5HT3 and 5HT4 antagonist which helps with IBS-C and IBS-D ?

I don't know that it is a 5-HT3 antagonist. It is considered non-specific serotonin antagonist, which means that in sufficiently high doses it should antagonize ALL serotonin "receptors". But in the realistic doses of 2mg - 4mg daily it is certainly a 5-HT1, 5-HT2, 5-HT6 and 5-HT7 antagonist and that alone has some very beneficial effects on IBS. The 5-HT3 antagonists are useful mostly for diarrhea and nausea, not so much IBS.

Dan W

Here's the fully-titlified references, I think the forum gave up partway through:

Miscellaneous

Neurological/Brain

Mood/Cognition/Behavior/Addiction

CVD/Circulation/Hypertension/Calcification

Fibrosis/Cancer

Metabolism/Diabetes/Cortisol/Insulin/Obesity

Digestion/GI

Immune/Antirival/Antibacterial/Antiparasitic

StrongMom

Considering serotonin's apparent role in autism I would assume metergoline would help. Bottom line it doesn't seem dangerous so its worth a try.

I would think so. However, autism, I think, is more than a serotonin issue. Just take a look at @scarlettsmum's posts; she made observable progress with other serotonin antagonists. However, inflexibility and rigidity remain as big issues. This is the case in my own experience with my sons, too. I don't know what it is causing that but it suggests to me that there are other things in play as well.

@5magicbeans

Quality

I would think so. However, autism, I think, is more than a serotonin issue. Just take a look at @scarlettsmum's posts; she made observable progress with other serotonin antagonists. However, inflexibility and rigidity remain as big issues. This is the case in my own experience with my sons, too. I don't know what it is causing that but it suggests to me that there are other things in play as well.

@5magicbeans
Serotonin and opioid excess is linked to many forms of autism, including austim spectrum disorders and aspergers syndrome there is no doubt about that.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Could this be useful for autism? Any research/thoughts?

Anything that blocks the 5-HT2 receptor is potentially useful. Search the forum for cyproheptadine autism.