Metabolic Rate and Lifespan

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
J, you have been bringing mucho information. Much appreciated. My brain feels like its gonna go boom! :crazy:

Ingenol

Charlie said:
J, you have been bringing mucho information. Much appreciated. My brain feels like its gonna go boom! :crazy:
Interesting. But what of the studies where mice are put on severe caloric restriction and also experience extended (albeit by most accounts, angry and miserable) lifespans?

It is my understanding that the restriction results do not seem to bear out in higher primates, but we can't very well assume some mice studies are valid and some aren't just because we agree or disagree with their conclusions. How do the caloric restriction (lower metabolism, "cult of torpor" in Danny Roddy's words) results synthesize with these?

J

j.

Ingenol said:
Charlie said:
Interesting. But what of the studies where mice are put on severe caloric restriction and also experience extended (albeit by most accounts, angry and miserable) lifespans?

They also had high metabolic rates according to Peat.

kiran

j. said:
Ingenol said:
Charlie said:

They also had high metabolic rates according to Peat.

Calorie-restricted animals (on a diet of normal composition) have a lower degree of fat unsaturation in their mitochondria as they age, preserving the relatively more saturated fats of youth. -RP

IIRC Peat also said something like they burn through their PUFA relatively quickly.

There is some evidence suggesting that to benefit rats, CR must be started early, presumably before they have a high PUFA load.

jyb

Ingenol said:
Charlie said:

It is my understanding that the restriction results do not seem to bear out in higher primates, but we can't very well assume some mice studies are valid and some aren't just because we agree or disagree with their conclusions. How do the caloric restriction (lower metabolism, "cult of torpor" in Danny Roddy's words) results synthesize with these?

Correct, the recent study on some monkeys showed that the calorie restriction diet did not yield the same result as for rats. Commentators were disappointed since they seemed to be hoping that the study would on the contrary confirm the calorie restriction myth that is so, so engrained in today's perception of a healthy diet.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
M Thyroid/Metabolic Rate — Exercise, Music, Movement, Meditation, Mood... Thyroid and Hormones 7
metabolizm Metabolic Rate & Longevity Metabolism 2
Hgreen56 Does Gaba decrease metabolic rate? Diet 0
ecstatichamster Salt Restriction Lowers Metabolic Rate And Increases Fat Articles & Scientific Studies 2
yerrag Why Do We Accept Age As The Defining Factor For Metabolic Rate? Metabolism 3
BearWithMe Could The Caffeine Slow Down Metabolic Rate, When Calories Are Not Abundant? Ask For Help or Advice 1
P Resting Metabolic Rate And Respiratory Quotient In Human Longevity Articles & Scientific Studies 0
schultz Metabolic Rate, Pulse And Yucatan Articles & Scientific Studies 4
P Low Carb Diet , Glycogen Level, Performance,metabolic Rate Articles & Scientific Studies 2
B Confused About The Importance Of A High Metabolic Rate And Pulse Ask For Help or Advice 7
M Is It Impossible To Calculate Basal Metabolic Rate? Weight 1
ShirtTieFitness Temperature And Pulse Tracking Sheet To Monitor Metabolic Rate Blogs 1
Tenacity Does Heat Sensitivity Correlate With Metabolic Rate? Miscellaneous Health Discussions 2
Giraffe Resting Metabolic Rate And Respiratory Quotient In Human Longevity Scientific Studies 0
Ahanu Metabolic Stability Vs Metabolic Rate Metabolism 14
gilson dantas Metabolic Efficiency And Metabolic Rate - Doubt Metabolism 124
D Metabolic Clearance Rate Of Progesterone? Health 3
haidut Propensity For Risky Behavior Determined By Metabolic Rate Scientific Studies 10
mayweatherking The Danger Of Calcium In A Low Metabolic Rate... Is It True? How To Lower Prolactin Then? mayweatherking 4
F Increasing metabolic rate could cause emotional sensitivity? FredSonoma 6
R Advice for the long termers that actually has managed to increase their metabolic rate Metabolism 22
N "Keeping The Metabolic Rate Up Is The Main Thing, And There Are Lots Of Ways To Do It." Health 60
J Yoga Reduces Metabolic Rate. Harmful According To Peat? Meditation, Mindfullness, Religion, Spirituality 8
L Eating for metabolic rate rather than particular foods Diet, Recipes 6
charlie There are now many people who argue that low metabolic rate, Ray Peat Quotes 0
J Metabolic Rate of Seeds Ray Peat Quotes 0
G Metabolic Rate: How Much Will It Increase? Health 12
charlie Salt, Energy, Metabolic Rate, And Longevity Articles & Newsletters 0
G Coffee and Metabolic Rate Ray Peat Quotes 0
G Cholesterol is Protective (Statins, Thyroid, Metabolic Rate, Kmud Interview: Oct.10, 2010 - Sugar II [Clipped.I 0
G Sugar Increases Metabolic Rate Kmud Interview: Oct.10, 2010 - Sugar II [Clipped.I 0
G Fructose Benefits (Temperature, Metabolic Rate, Thyroid) Kmud Interview: Oct.10, 2010 - Sugar II [Clipped.I 0
G Drawbacks of Low Carb (Fasting, Metabolic Rate, Cortisol.. Kmud Interview: Oct.10, 2010 - Sugar II [Clipped.I 0
Doludolu Switching from low carb | keto | carnivore experimentation back to High-carb. Tips for safe metabolic return ? Diet 11
haidut Metabolic (energy) deficiency may be the cause of Parkinson Disease (PD) Scientific Studies 1
cupofcoffee Trenbolone Improves Cardiometabolic Risk Factors and Myocardial Tolerance to Ischemia-Reperfusion in Male Rats With Testosterone-Deficient Metabolic S Thyroid and Hormones 0
TheBeard Fetal androgen exposure is a determinant of adult male metabolic health Thyroid and Hormones 3
J Eating for metabolic heat Diet 1
D High salt intake caused metabolic acidosis Metabolism 83
Lokzo Are Spexin levels associated with metabolic syndrome? - PUBMED 2020 Scientific Studies 0
Mito Vitamin D Supplementation Ameliorates Metabolic Dysfunction in Patients with PCOS D 0
A Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is a metabolic disorder Metabolism 55
TopGun1911 Did I permanently alter my metabolic and hormonal function by going on keto for 3 months + fasting? Diet 25
haidut Glaucoma likely a metabolic disease, treatable by pyruvate and/or niacinamide Scientific Studies 2
A Metabolic Side Effects Of Fluoride (a Halogen) Improved With Tamarind Leaf Thyroid and Hormones 0
PaintedPony New Here And Would Welcome Metabolic Advice Metabolism 4
Mito The Metabolic, Neuroprotective Cardioprotective And Antitumor Effects Of The Klotho Protein Articles & Scientific Studies 9
A Hypothyroidism Is Naturally Induced Chemo Therapy. Every Metabolic Stressor Is A Carcinogenic Miscellaneous Health Discussions 23
B Crickets Fed Low Dose Aspirin Live 143% Longer, Have Longer Childhoods And Higher Metabolic Rates Scientific Studies 7
Recoen Metabolic Acidosis - Anion Vs Non Anion Gap Acidity vs. Alkalinity 4