Metabolic Rate and Lifespan

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
J, you have been bringing mucho information. Much appreciated. My brain feels like its gonna go boom! :crazy:

Ingenol

Charlie said:
J, you have been bringing mucho information. Much appreciated. My brain feels like its gonna go boom! :crazy:
Interesting. But what of the studies where mice are put on severe caloric restriction and also experience extended (albeit by most accounts, angry and miserable) lifespans?

It is my understanding that the restriction results do not seem to bear out in higher primates, but we can't very well assume some mice studies are valid and some aren't just because we agree or disagree with their conclusions. How do the caloric restriction (lower metabolism, "cult of torpor" in Danny Roddy's words) results synthesize with these?

OP
J

j.

Ingenol said:
Charlie said:
Interesting. But what of the studies where mice are put on severe caloric restriction and also experience extended (albeit by most accounts, angry and miserable) lifespans?

They also had high metabolic rates according to Peat.

kiran

j. said:
Ingenol said:
Charlie said:

They also had high metabolic rates according to Peat.

Calorie-restricted animals (on a diet of normal composition) have a lower degree of fat unsaturation in their mitochondria as they age, preserving the relatively more saturated fats of youth. -RP

IIRC Peat also said something like they burn through their PUFA relatively quickly.

There is some evidence suggesting that to benefit rats, CR must be started early, presumably before they have a high PUFA load.

jyb

Ingenol said:
Charlie said:

It is my understanding that the restriction results do not seem to bear out in higher primates, but we can't very well assume some mice studies are valid and some aren't just because we agree or disagree with their conclusions. How do the caloric restriction (lower metabolism, "cult of torpor" in Danny Roddy's words) results synthesize with these?

Correct, the recent study on some monkeys showed that the calorie restriction diet did not yield the same result as for rats. Commentators were disappointed since they seemed to be hoping that the study would on the contrary confirm the calorie restriction myth that is so, so engrained in today's perception of a healthy diet.