Mercury Vapor Lamps For Vitamin D

EndAllDisease

Dr. Peat has mentioned in an interiew that he uses a mercury vapor lamp to obtain his vitamin D.

Mercury vapor bulbs are an interesting technology because they give off UVA and UVB light. They are often used to provide UV to reptiles living in aquariums and can be found in pet stores or even on amazon.

mercury_vapor_lamp.jpg

When it comes to supplements you never truly know what you're getting so using light for this is the purest of ways... if only there was a way to know the exact dose you're getting.

I want to add one to my light setup but the worry of course is getting too much UV and causing damage.
Does anyone have experience using this type of lamp?

I'd like to know an approximate dose per wattage for these things that's good that won't overdo it.

shepherdgirl

If you lived on the equator and got sunshine year-round, you also would not know your exact dose. I guess you could test your D level? Not sure if the proper D levels would protect from UVB damage or not.

Dave Clark

I have mentioned it before, but if you just want the UVB rays for producing vitamin D, the Sperti vitamin D lamp is available on-line (I got mine at Promolife). It isn't cheap, about $400 bucks, but it has been FDA tested/approved to raise vitamin D levels, which can be seen on Promolife's site. Good to know there are other options. Never knew mercury vapor lights produced UV rays. With the Sperti lamp, a session is 5 minutes, no more is recommended by the manufacturer per day. With the mercury vapor lamps, do we know, or can we find out if that length of time would be sufficient?

Kray

I have mentioned it before, but if you just want the UVB rays for producing vitamin D, the Sperti vitamin D lamp is available on-line (I got mine at Promolife). It isn't cheap, about $400 bucks, but it has been FDA tested/approved to raise vitamin D levels, which can be seen on Promolife's site. Good to know there are other options. Never knew mercury vapor lights produced UV rays. With the Sperti lamp, a session is 5 minutes, no more is recommended by the manufacturer per day. With the mercury vapor lamps, do we know, or can we find out if that length of time would be sufficient?
Do you still use your Sperti? The D thing is confusing. I have been told that like the sun, you shouldn't absorb more vitamin D from the lamp than your body will allow, meaning, your D receptors turn "off" at peak and your body won't absorb any more than it needs. If true, this is pretty cool compared to the unknown of supplements.

Doc Sandoz

Do you still use your Sperti? The D thing is confusing. I have been told that like the sun, you shouldn't absorb more vitamin D from the lamp than your body will allow, meaning, your D receptors turn "off" at peak and your body won't absorb any more than it needs. If true, this is pretty cool compared to the unknown of supplements.
Have bad reax to supp Vit D, so I bought a Sperti last winter. Used it every other day five minutes until the sun got high enough in the sky to provide good rays and I'd go out everyday for half and hour or more with the idea of building up Vit D. Now it's winter again I'm back on the Sperti. Not sure about what the body "will allow" at any given time, but I think of the Sperti during winter as topping off the stored supply so as not to run low before Spring arrives.

Kray

Have bad reax to supp Vit D, so I bought a Sperti last winter. Used it every other day five minutes until the sun got high enough in the sky to provide good rays and I'd go out everyday for half and hour or more with the idea of building up Vit D. Now it's winter again I'm back on the Sperti. Not sure about what the body "will allow" at any given time, but I think of the Sperti during winter as topping off the stored supply so as not to run low before Spring arrives.
Currious- what was your bad reaction to Vit D?

I have moved to a northern climate from a southern one- now flipped the number of months I have sun, so I think I will get good use of the lamp. Really like the idea of getting the rays that promote production in our body. Not even sure if/what topical Vitamin D can do. I guess the fact that D is PRODUCED by rays is a lot different than ingesting or absorbing preformed vitamin D. Is there any way we can know how it can be converted? And yet, many people have supplemented for many years, and their levels do increase upon testing before/after supplemental D.

Thanks for your input.

Doc Sandoz

Currious- what was your bad reaction to Vit D?

I have moved to a northern climate from a southern one- now flipped the number of months I have sun, so I think I will get good use of the lamp. Really like the idea of getting the rays that promote production in our body. Not even sure if/what topical Vitamin D can do. I guess the fact that D is PRODUCED by rays is a lot different than ingesting or absorbing preformed vitamin D. Is there any way we can know how it can be converted? And yet, many people have supplemented for many years, and their levels do increase upon testing before/after supplemental D.

Thanks for your input.
The bad reaction is to supplemental orally-consumed or topical Vitamin D, not to D made by my own body via UVB rays. The oral stuff makes me feel on edge, anxious, restless, jumpy, uncomfortable for hours after I take it. But then I have the same reaction more or less to a lot of oral supplements/drugs. The only ones I seem to tolerate at all are water soluble vitamins like C and B, and thankfully aspirin of which I take between 1/3 gram and 2 grams daily, depending on how inflamed (stiffness, low grade pain) I feel.

Kray

The bad reaction is to supplemental orally-consumed or topical Vitamin D, not to D made by my own body via UVB rays. The oral stuff makes me feel on edge, anxious, restless, jumpy, uncomfortable for hours after I take it. But then I have the same reaction more or less to a lot of oral supplements/drugs. The only ones I seem to tolerate at all are water soluble vitamins like C and B, and thankfully aspirin of which I take between 1/3 gram and 2 grams daily, depending on how inflamed (stiffness, low grade pain) I feel.
?Thanks, appreciate your feedback!

K

Kayaker

Oral vitamin D is harmful, which is why it's promoted by the mainstream.

Do mercury vapor bulbs screw into an incandescent fixture? I somehow can't find this information online.

I don't have a high opinion of the Sperti. It's very expensive, who cares if it's "FDA approved" since you can tell if you get a tan or sunburn from a given bulb or not, and fluorescent tubes produce a lot of EMF and it's not a good idea getting in front of it for even 5 minutes per day. An ordinary mercury vapor would do what a $400+ dollar gimmick would do.