Mercury thermometer broken

rayban

Like 6 months ago, It crashed into the floor and luckily there wasn't much spilled, I picked up as many of these dropplets in a box indicating there was a broken thermometer inside.
I had a hair test done 6 years ago with barely any mercury found, at 0,08 µg/g, now this summer I got on a new one and it was 0,80 µg/g.

The only other explaination for this increase would be that I eat a fish called "Thunus Alalunga", but not much, for a period I ate it like 2-3 times a week, however I only weight 112lbs for 5'9'' (male) so im assuming smaller amounts would show up more.

I don't know wtf to do with this mercury thing. It's still under normal range, but at the limit. If I keep accumulating, I will be above normal range. So I have to find the source of mercury. For now I have removed all fish except sardines.

In case it's thermometer, how do you get rid of it? it's in the air? there are remaining dropplets? I have cleaned with bleach, vacuumed, the whole thing, so if there are any, im assuming it's under the furniture. But 6 months ago, it may all have evaporated. And I Have ventilated for days since then. Should I run an air purifier? I have the Levoit Core 300.

How do I remove the mercury source?

As far as removing from the body, apparently you cannot remove it, only avoid accumulating more:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/AskDoctorSmeeee/comments/xlcgc1/comment/ipk7cu5/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

RealNeat

Like 6 months ago, It crashed into the floor and luckily there wasn't much spilled, I picked up as many of these dropplets in a box indicating there was a broken thermometer inside.
I had a hair test done 6 years ago with barely any mercury found, at 0,08 µg/g, now this summer I got on a new one and it was 0,80 µg/g.

The only other explaination for this increase would be that I eat a fish called "Thunus Alalunga", but not much, for a period I ate it like 2-3 times a week, however I only weight 112lbs for 5'9'' (male) so im assuming smaller amounts would show up more.

I don't know wtf to do with this mercury thing. It's still under normal range, but at the limit. If I keep accumulating, I will be above normal range. So I have to find the source of mercury. For now I have removed all fish except sardines.

In case it's thermometer, how do you get rid of it? it's in the air? there are remaining dropplets? I have cleaned with bleach, vacuumed, the whole thing, so if there are any, im assuming it's under the furniture. But 6 months ago, it may all have evaporated. And I Have ventilated for days since then. Should I run an air purifier? I have the Levoit Core 300.

How do I remove the mercury source?

As far as removing from the body, apparently you cannot remove it, only avoid accumulating more:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/AskDoctorSmeeee/comments/xlcgc1/comment/ipk7cu5/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

You can absolutely remove it. There are mineral agonists and antagonists. There is EDTA which should be approached with much caution. Also if you eat a mineral rich diet you will slowly get rid of the mercury and replace it would what should be there. More calcium, magnesium, sodium and potassium with clean seafood and consciously grown greens and fruit for the other minerals.

I'm not endorsing this protocol but showing one of many ways to go about something like this: Mercury Detoxification Protocol

Also what else changed in your environment? Maybe do @haidut idealabs hair and nail and see if the two together give a more accurate reading.

Last edited:
P

Peatness

From the last article

The mechanism of mercury toxicity in the adult brain may be related to proteins involved in mercury excretion, including glutathione, glutathione transferase, metallothionine and ApoE. Mercury depletes glutathione and ascorbate (vitamin C), and inhibits thiamine (B1) and pyridoxine (B6).

Last edited by a moderator:

Eberhardt

Highly unlikely to be the thermometer - evaporation rate is superslow at roomtemp. And as long as it doesnt evaporate the surface tension is strong enough to keep it together when it breaks so youbdont get microdrops only pebbles. I remember playing with them as a kid lol. (Not really smart)

OP
R

rayban

Highly unlikely to be the thermometer - evaporation rate is superslow at roomtemp. And as long as it doesnt evaporate the surface tension is strong enough to keep it together when it breaks so youbdont get microdrops only pebbles. I remember playing with them as a kid lol. (Not really smart)
Asuming there remained some tiny drops that i didnt pick and they slowly evaporate, where is this mercury at? it is small enough to float? or it falls down with gravity? also after 6 months im assuming entire new cycles of air came and went so all the air is new, however if there remains some in the floor that slowly leaks it should be fixed. I already stopped eating all fish except sardines and small squid which according to a study they have the lowest mercury found in mediterranean sea. A lot of other seafood have mercury, including shell fish which is insane. How im supposed to enjoy paella now when these bastards are contaminating the sea.

You can absolutely remove it. There are mineral agonists and antagonists. There is EDTA which should be approached with much caution. Also if you eat a mineral rich diet you will slowly get rid of the mercury and replace it would what should be there. More calcium, magnesium, sodium and potassium with clean seafood and consciously grown greens and fruit for the other minerals.

I'm not endorsing this protocol but showing one of many ways to go about something like this: Mercury Detoxification Protocol

Also what else changed in your environment? Maybe do @haidut idealabs hair and nail and see if the two together give a more accurate reading.

But i've seen people end up worse after chelating protocols and my level is not insane enough to act like that imo, wouldn't be better to just stop any sources of mercury? And like I said above shell seafood also have the damn mercury. New study just came out on the mediterranean sea fish btw:

Just 22% of fish, seafood species in western Mediterranean have safe mercury levels​

Fred

My high school physics teacher brought an open 8oz beaker into the classroom so we could see how heavy it is (I guess that's why, ha ha). Anyway, I spilled a tiny bit of it and watched as little mercury "ball bearings" formed on the floor. I'm almost certain I touched one of them with my bare skin. Anyway, that was a loooong time ago, and I'm still fine, so I wouldn't worry about such a tiny amount.

RealNeat

Yes with chelation you have to do it very thoroughly and very carefully. Many are too reckless and jump right in with no research.

With minor exposure your body should be able to take care of it with a good diet, like I mentioned in the same post.

The contamination of seafood and other whole foods is concerning but not as much as isolated supplements and powders. Food comes with a host of other compounds that are protective.

You could be more cautious of mercury sources going forward for a while to prevent any buildup.

Common items are CFL bulbs which introduce mercury into too many home's needlessly (when broken), plus the damage from such bulbs also comes from their high EMF and poor light spectrum.