Mercury Off The Charts

Locutus

I took a heavy metals test (urine test after taking some substance which is supposed to pull metals out of tissue). It said mercury should be less than 3 and mine was 23. It was described to me as off the charts high. I don't have amalgam fillings and I never ate a ton of fish so I am not sure of where it came from. I even willfully avoided all vaccines for years now. This is likely a massive source of my difficulties? What do?

meatbag

I took a heavy metals test (urine test after taking some substance which is supposed to pull metals out of tissue). It said mercury should be less than 3 and mine was 23. It was described to me as off the charts high. I don't have amalgam fillings and I never ate a ton of fish so I am not sure of where it came from. I even willfully avoided all vaccines for years now. This is likely a massive source of my difficulties? What do?

which substances did they have you take?

lampofred

I think selenium, orange juice, and coffee would help to remove it.

meatbag

DMSA - doctor's data test

My view from what I've read is that it's in the bone (says this on the website you linked to) so it shouldn't be a big problem. I agree that fruit, dairy, and coffee should help - I think there are some posts about this on the forum that I read awhile back

redsun

Shouldnt you be able to go to a doctor with this test so you can get some kind of prescription mercury chelator?

OP
Locutus

Locutus

Shouldnt you be able to go to a doctor with this test so you can get some kind of prescription mercury chelator?
I will be starting a heavy metal detox protocol via a naturopath.

Spud

What the Doc said is misleading. A result under 5 is considered normal for a urine mercury test when no chelator is used. When DMSA is administered for the challenge test, the mercury levels naturally rise as mercury is pulled from the body's tissues by the DMSA. No mercury in your body is good but people don't tent to become symptomatic until urine levels are around 100 (without DMSA).

OP
Locutus

Locutus

What the Doc said is misleading. A result under 5 is considered normal for a urine mercury test when no chelator is used. When DMSA is administered for the challenge test, the mercury levels naturally rise as mercury is pulled from the body's tissues by the DMSA. No mercury in your body is good but people don't tent to become symptomatic until urine levels are around 100 (without DMSA).
Appreciate this. I was freaking out about it.

Spud

In terms of detoxing the mercury, there are two main protocols that are the usual "go to" for people who don't want the somewhat dangerous approach that doctors use in administering single large doses of chelators. These are the Shade protocol and Cutler protocol.

The Shade protocol uses intestinal binders to remove mercury stored in the gut, first, as this opens up the body's own detox pathways that utilize glutathione and biliary excretion. After a time when the mercury burden is lowered in the gut, mercury from other tissues moves to the gut, due to the concentration gradient created. The protocol then uses a bunch of other products to help the body increase the glutathione pathway to remove mercury over time all while still using the binders to stop re absorption of mercury from the bile in the gut. Pro of this approach is that its a more natural approach using the body's detox pathways and it utilities the liver over the kidneys for excretion. Cons is that its not cheap in any way.

The Cutler protocol, on the other hand, uses chemical chelators to remove mercury. Different chelators are taken at precise time intervals, and in low doses, to chelate and remove the mercury. The pros of this method are that the chelators are inexpensive. Cons are that the synthetic chelators remove minerals as well as the mercury and it uses the kidneys for elimination, which do not have the regenerative capacity of the liver.

No method is without its risk, so your own research needs to be done. Removing mercury should also not be taken likely as redistribution is quite possible.

Not a common method, but this article (https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/24734306.2017.1392076) uses both selenium and NAC to dramatically lower mercury levels in a patient and cause resolution of symptoms rather quickly. NAC seems to be a no no around these parts but short term, the benefits may greatly outweigh the risks.
Combining this methods with an intestinal binder and an NRF2 activator would seem like a good option.

burtlancast

What symptoms do you suffer from ?

OP
Locutus

Locutus

What symptoms do you suffer from ?
Symptoms.

Here we go!

Acne - cystic - mostly of the body
Decreased sexual vitality
Insomnia
Inability to lose weight
Hairloss
Brain fog - poor memory - have trouble speaking/finding words
Losing resilience to stress
weird one - weak voice ...

I almost feel guilty noting these symptoms because I am so used to them that a part of me thinks they are just normal and one should not complain about them.
Any one relate?

OP
Locutus

Locutus

In terms of detoxing the mercury, there are two main protocols that are the usual "go to" for people who don't want the somewhat dangerous approach that doctors use in administering single large doses of chelators. These are the Shade protocol and Cutler protocol.

The Shade protocol uses intestinal binders to remove mercury stored in the gut, first, as this opens up the body's own detox pathways that utilize glutathione and biliary excretion. After a time when the mercury burden is lowered in the gut, mercury from other tissues moves to the gut, due to the concentration gradient created. The protocol then uses a bunch of other products to help the body increase the glutathione pathway to remove mercury over time all while still using the binders to stop re absorption of mercury from the bile in the gut. Pro of this approach is that its a more natural approach using the body's detox pathways and it utilities the liver over the kidneys for excretion. Cons is that its not cheap in any way.

The Cutler protocol, on the other hand, uses chemical chelators to remove mercury. Different chelators are taken at precise time intervals, and in low doses, to chelate and remove the mercury. The pros of this method are that the chelators are inexpensive. Cons are that the synthetic chelators remove minerals as well as the mercury and it uses the kidneys for elimination, which do not have the regenerative capacity of the liver.

No method is without its risk, so your own research needs to be done. Removing mercury should also not be taken likely as redistribution is quite possible.

Not a common method, but this article (https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/24734306.2017.1392076) uses both selenium and NAC to dramatically lower mercury levels in a patient and cause resolution of symptoms rather quickly. NAC seems to be a no no around these parts but short term, the benefits may greatly outweigh the risks.
Combining this methods with an intestinal binder and an NRF2 activator would seem like a good option.
My functional medicine doctor sells a heavy metal detox product.
Once I get all the details I will share the protocol here in detail.

Spud

My functional medicine doctor sells a heavy metal detox product.
Once I get all the details I will share the protocol here in detail.

Share the details before you go making any purchases.

As far a symptoms go, they can be explained by mercury but they can also be explained by a whole host of their things. Kind of how “flu like symptoms” seems to be a side effect of almost everything.

burtlancast

Symptoms.

Here we go!

Acne - cystic - mostly of the body
Decreased sexual vitality
Insomnia
Inability to lose weight
Hairloss
Brain fog - poor memory - have trouble speaking/finding words
Losing resilience to stress
weird one - weak voice ...

I almost feel guilty noting these symptoms because I am so used to them that a part of me thinks they are just normal and one should not complain about them.
Any one relate?

Yep, that's mercury poisoning symptoms.

You can slowly (years) evacuate it through DMPS chelation protocols (don't use DMSA or other "natural" mercury detox). Read the book by Francoise Cambayrac ( it's french: try to google translate it)

Supplement selenium that will inactivate the mercury by binding to it.

The problem is to find the source of mercury contamination: it might be airborne. You might need to borrow a mercury detector and investigate your surroundings.

Max23

Living near a crematorium could cause problems. They don´t remove amalgam fillings before cremation and air filters are poor I guess. As I understand they haven´t begun to regulate it.

OP
Locutus

Locutus

Share the details before you go making any purchases.

As far a symptoms go, they can be explained by mercury but they can also be explained by a whole host of their things. Kind of how “flu like symptoms” seems to be a side effect of almost everything.

Protocol:

7 days on and 7 days off. 2x per day. upon arising and before sleep.

Glutathione liposomal (Can take with heavy metal support), Dose 1-4 Pumps (its in liquid form)
Heavy Metal Clear (Take on an empty stomach) Dose: 2-3

Dietary Fiber 1g / 4%*
Sodium 120mg / 5%
Potassium 130mg / 3%
Modified Citrus Pectin (As PectaSol-C®) 1.5g / †
Organic Chlorella-Broken Cell Wall (Chlorella regularis) (Whole Plant) 1g / †
N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine 900mg / †
Modified Alginate Complex (As Algimate®) 750mg / †
Garlic (Allium Sativum) (Bulb) 400mg / †
L-Glutathione (Reduced) 200mg / †
Alpha Lipoic Acid 200mg / †

We have NAC and ALA which should cross the BBB (Blood Brain Barrier)

I want to add selenium. What think? How much? How often?

BTW I also have high lead but not crazy high like the mercury. Lead and mercury have a synergistic effect upon each other. Not in a good way!

The functional doctor said that he has seen this 1000's (might be exaggerating there) of times and this protocol works. He often makes reference to "fancy chelation protocols" as if to mock them as overly embellished and unnecessary. This is my sense anyway.

Personally, I'm actually relieved I don't have to dose every 3 hours day and night.

Last edited:

Spud

Taking ALA once or twice in a large dose like that is a no no in the Cutler community, as it can cause redistribution to the brain if not dosed correctly. Oral Glutathione may be okay, but its better to take things that allow your body to make its own glutathione within the cells. Your body needs glutathione within the cell and also needs glutathione s-transferase to attach toxins to the glutathione, in order to detox properly. Having some intake, whether from food or supplements, of NAC, glycine, glutamine and selenium will help with increase cellular glutathione. A selenium dose of 200mcg is standard for daily intake however in the study I linked above, 500mcg was used. Short term this should hopefully not lead to selenosis. You need NRF2 activators to increase glutathione s-transferase. In this product the garlic and ALA should help with that but broccoli sprouts are one of the best things for that purpose. Citrus Pectin is sold as a product to remove lead from the body, however, the studies on citrus pectin are not the best and none of the maths, in the main study on children in Asia, adds up. Alginate is used as an intestinal binder and so is chlorella to an extent. Some chlorella may make it into the blood stream and be beneficial there. Chlorella is frowned upon in these parts due to its iron content however.

You mention the BBB. While this is the mercury store you want gone the most, this is the one you should attack last.

Detoxing lead is a whole other issue. The go to for lead chelation is EDTA, however you need to remove mercury before you can use this, as the complex that EDTA forms with mercury has been shown to be more toxic than mercury alone. Lead tends to hang out in your bones, as opposed to mercury in the soft tissues, and slowly leaches out over time so whatever you take to remove lead has to be taken over a life time.

If you do chose to go down this route, getting your liver and gut in decent working order would be something to do first. If you have bile flow issues or a sluggish gut, any mercury that you stir up will likely get reabsorbed and you'll find yourself in a worse position than when you began. I wouldn't use any of these products until you clean your gut and liver, with the exception of selenium.

mostlylurking

In 2006, I tested over 100 for mercury from an EDTA IV chelation challenge test without the DMSA pill beforehand. In other words it was not testing for mercury but my mercury was through the roof. I was chelated for it using DMSA and standard chelation IV with EDTA. I survived. The mercury was from mercury amalgam fillings. I have also tested alarmingly high for lead poisoning and have had many standard chelation IV treatments with EDTA (1993-1995 and again 2000 and again 2014). I survived that too. My last treatment was in 2014, for lead again; the test results were off the chart and the highest the chelation doctor had ever seen. I did not do well during this treatment. I toughed it out through half the series and quit because I came down with rheumatoid arthritis and was too sick to travel.

The point I want to make is that I have been seriously hypothyroid all my adult life and was inadequately treated. I have heard Ray Peat say that if you are hypothyroid you are unable to detox heavy metals and so you are more likely to have a build up of them in your body. After I got my thyroid medication optimized a few months after that last chelation treatment (in 2015), my symptoms that I thought were from heavy metal poisoning went away, including the rheumatoid arthritis symptoms.

Was I able to detox the lead on my own because my thyroid function became borderline on the high side? I don't know. I do know that I feel so much better and I am so much healthier now than before adhering to Ray Peat's advice. I know that I have no need to complete that last series of chelation treatments.

Chelation by IV is pretty serious stuff. You stir up the heavy metal from where it was parked and it can migrate to your brain. I think it would be helpful for you to get with a good endocrinologist and address any possible hypothyroidism first. Before going, read all of Ray Peat's articles on hypothyroidism and test yourself using a thermometer and a pulse reader for at least a week.