Menstruation Following Amenorrhea - Please Chime In Ladies!

lindsay

A strange thing has happened - I seem to be starting a period after two years without one and three years post oophorectomy. I had two very mild periods in 2014 and then never again (I'm 33 now), so I don't know if this will last, but it would explain my erratic mood lately. We shall see.

Anyhow, I am posting this as a victory cheer and also as a "What the heck! I wasn't missing it!" cry..... Also, looking to hear from others who've gone through this and their symptoms/experiences. My blood sugar is all sorts of haywire since I started and I'm very shaky - don't understand why. I'm eating regularly, but it's like I am all over the place and I am NEVER like that. Since taking thyroid, my blood sugar has been quite stable. But not lately.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance - it's a happy, sad and confusing day and I just hope this continues month after month..... I had given up hope. Now I need to go get those blood tests done soon.....

Hi-fiving lindsay, yaaaaay!!!

I don't have any experience with missing a period, so I can't really comment...but I can celebrate with you!!!:carrot HOORAY!!!

StrongMom

Congrats Lindsay! I am suffering from amenorrhea as well. What worked for you?

OP
lindsay

lindsay

Hi-fiving lindsay, yaaaaay!!!

I don't have any experience with missing a period, so I can't really comment...but I can celebrate with you!!!:carrot HOORAY!!!
Congratulations lindsay! :discodance:bravo:dance:partydance:carrot2

Thank you both so much for your support!! It is greatly appreciated :) I feel like a little school girl today :rollingred:carrot2:dancingsmileyman:nomnompopcorn And like a hungry school girl! Yikes!!:deercorn

OP
lindsay

lindsay

Congrats Lindsay! I am suffering from amenorrhea as well. What worked for you?

Thank you :) If you want the long story, I would have to say, please PM me. If you want the short answer - Progesterone and Thyroid and de-stressing. Truth be told, I am a bit speechless because I was beginning to think I would never be a woman again (and by that I mean menstruating). Progesterone and Thyroid are my staples, along with high fat dairy, high quality eggs, OJ, oranges - and a LOT of espresso, cream and sugar. These are my dietary staples, along with a little meat and a little gelatin (and candy). And veggies. I eat one veggie every day for bowel reasons- usually cooked beets w/sour cream or raw carrot. I don't actually think a low fat diet is good for health. Low fat dairy never did me well, but cheese and eggs and cream? I adore them - they are tasty and nourishing. And I eat sugar to taste - no grains now and no starch (well, occasional starch). I supplement vitamins K2, pregnenolone, Progesterone, thyroid and Ox Bile - I don't have a gallbladder, so I need to supplement more of the fat solubles (hence the Ox Bile). But really, it has been and will be a long trying road. I'm seriously amazed I am bleeding - and I NEED bloodwork. The last time I got bloodwork, I was post-menopausal at age 31. Now I am probably Peri-or-semi or something in the middle. I haven't been very in tune to my health, which I think helped. It was causing me a lot of stress. So I walked from focusing on health for a bit. And just tried to live. Finding activities that took me away from my health were really helpful. But really, I have no idea. I have made huge efforts to actually listen to my body and follow my instincts. There are days when all I want to do is stay inside and feel sad. And I force myself to go out and ride my bike, feel the wind, get some sun, and think. The most therapeutic think for me. But it's taken me three years and I still have a long way to go. Such is LIFE.

Koveras

Thank you :) If you want the long story, I would have to say, please PM me. If you want the short answer - Progesterone and Thyroid and de-stressing. Truth be told, I am a bit speechless because I was beginning to think I would never be a woman again (and by that I mean menstruating). Progesterone and Thyroid are my staples, along with high fat dairy, high quality eggs, OJ, oranges - and a LOT of espresso, cream and sugar. These are my dietary staples, along with a little meat and a little gelatin (and candy). And veggies. I eat one veggie every day for bowel reasons- usually cooked beets w/sour cream or raw carrot. I don't actually think a low fat diet is good for health. Low fat dairy never did me well, but cheese and eggs and cream? I adore them - they are tasty and nourishing. And I eat sugar to taste - no grains now and no starch (well, occasional starch). I supplement vitamins K2, pregnenolone, Progesterone, thyroid and Ox Bile - I don't have a gallbladder, so I need to supplement more of the fat solubles (hence the Ox Bile). But really, it has been and will be a long trying road. I'm seriously amazed I am bleeding - and I NEED bloodwork. The last time I got bloodwork, I was post-menopausal at age 31. Now I am probably Peri-or-semi or something in the middle. I haven't been very in tune to my health, which I think helped. It was causing me a lot of stress. So I walked from focusing on health for a bit. And just tried to live. Finding activities that took me away from my health were really helpful. But really, I have no idea. I have made huge efforts to actually listen to my body and follow my instincts. There are days when all I want to do is stay inside and feel sad. And I force myself to go out and ride my bike, feel the wind, get some sun, and think. The most therapeutic think for me. But it's taken me three years and I still have a long way to go. Such is LIFE.

What was the progesterone product, dose, and frequency?

I know Peat generally recommends the latter two weeks of a cycle, but if you weren't cycling, was it continuous?

Thank you and glad to hear of your success :)

OP
lindsay

lindsay

What was the progesterone product, dose, and frequency?

I know Peat generally recommends the latter two weeks of a cycle, but if you weren't cycling, was it continuous?

Thank you and glad to hear of your success :)

Hi Koveras. I have been a happy customer of Kenogen for a long time :) I order Progest-e regularly and used to use it orally, but began applying it topically and vaginally (In a gelatin capsule at night). I mix it with essential oils (usually orange for it's anti-estrogenic nature) and lotion and apply it to my chest and abdomen - usually once per day. And a few days per week vaginally. And I try to apply it once per day in the evening to my wrists and let it sink in. So the dose varies, but I would say I go through about two to three bottles per month. I was using more previously, but found that I didn't need so much when I started taking pregnenolone (50 to 100 mg per day). Also, I've made a conscious effort to eat more protein - dairy and eggs are my primary sources, along with a little bit of gelatin and meat. I supplement vitamin K2 as well, because I just can't stomach liver. I think I need more vitamin A as well, but I get a decent amount in high fat dairy, which is why I've opted for that instead of low fat dairy.

I've also been taking thyroid regularly for the past two years. Cynoplus until it ran out, and then Thiroyd brand, and now TyroMax. I'm glad to have moved to topical use of most supplements - it's been helpful. And yes - I used progesterone continually. If I didn't, my old moody estrogen dominant symptoms would come back and I would not be fun to be around. That took about two weeks to a month to happen. Progesterone has definitely helped me personally - I was in a really bad place before and using it was an immediate game changer.

Hi Koveras. I have been a happy customer of Kenogen for a long time :) I order Progest-e regularly and used to use it orally, but began applying it topically and vaginally (In a gelatin capsule at night). I mix it with essential oils (usually orange for it's anti-estrogenic nature) and lotion and apply it to my chest and abdomen - usually once per day. And a few days per week vaginally. And I try to apply it once per day in the evening to my wrists and let it sink in. So the dose varies, but I would say I go through about two to three bottles per month. I was using more previously, but found that I didn't need so much when I started taking pregnenolone (50 to 100 mg per day). Also, I've made a conscious effort to eat more protein - dairy and eggs are my primary sources, along with a little bit of gelatin and meat. I supplement vitamin K2 as well, because I just can't stomach liver. I think I need more vitamin A as well, but I get a decent amount in high fat dairy, which is why I've opted for that instead of low fat dairy.

I've also been taking thyroid regularly for the past two years. Cynoplus until it ran out, and then Thiroyd brand, and now TyroMax. I'm glad to have moved to topical use of most supplements - it's been helpful. And yes - I used progesterone continually. If I didn't, my old moody estrogen dominant symptoms would come back and I would not be fun to be around. That took about two weeks to a month to happen. Progesterone has definitely helped me personally - I was in a really bad place before and using it was an immediate game changer.

:carrot2 :carrot2:claporange:claporange
CONGRATULATIONS LINDSAY!!!!!!!

And thank you for sharing your success story! :smuggrin:

HDD

, I am posting this as a victory cheer and also as a "What the heck! I wasn't missing it!" cry..... '

Lol! Even though menstruating is a pain, it is so awesome that you are! This is so encouraging to all of us. Seeing these results after 2 years shows how healing can take some time but is so worth the perseverance. Thank you for sharing,

L

lollipop

Soooooo agree with your assessment of progesterone @lindsay!!! BTW...BRAVO. \(^o^)/ :clap::yellohello:claporange:carrot2

InChristAlone

Wow Congratss!!! I wanted to chime in about your question in regards to blood sugar. I had lactational amenorrhea for 22 months, and was pretty stable albeit very stressed and should have been using progest-e as I had lots of hot flashes! When I did get my cycle back all hell broke loose and I was having anxiety attacks and insomnia. I think ovulation uses up a ton of energy, and thus eating more frequently really helps. Hormones will probably be all over the place for a while, it took a long time for me and I still get night sweats day 1 of my cycle. How many calories do you typically eat?

OP
lindsay

lindsay

Wow Congratss!!! I wanted to chime in about your question in regards to blood sugar. I had lactational amenorrhea for 22 months, and was pretty stable albeit very stressed and should have been using progest-e as I had lots of hot flashes! When I did get my cycle back all hell broke loose and I was having anxiety attacks and insomnia. I think ovulation uses up a ton of energy, and thus eating more frequently really helps. Hormones will probably be all over the place for a while, it took a long time for me and I still get night sweats day 1 of my cycle. How many calories do you typically eat?

Hi Janelle,

Thank you so much for your input :) I probably would have done better if I had really de-stressed more in the first year after my surgery, but I didn't really understand all that was going on in my body. The past year and a half, I have really tried to reduce stress as much as possible, which was tough because my work schedule got heavier. But I was feeling all right for the most part. The thing I'm having a difficult time with (blood sugar aside - which is better when I eat protein regularly, I've learned) is I feel really depressed. It comes and goes. Yesterday we got asked to go to a family thing last minute and I just couldn't deal with being around people - the thought nearly gave me a panic attack. I am a photographer and wedding season is starting this week, so I need to make sure I listen to my body and don't dive into things I can't handle. But I have to be able to keep my emotions in check for work, so this is what makes it tricky for me. I think the cold weather is really bothering me too. Spring came, I felt great, and then winter came back and it's been cold and depressing.

Anyhow, I don't really keep track of everything I eat calorie wise, but probably somewhere around 2,000 - 2,300, depending on the day. I'm not a huge eater and tend to prefer fattening foods as opposed to sugar, but always eat my oranges and drink my OJ and sugar in my coffee. Basically, I eat sugar to craving. Except I could eat jelly beans all the time - LOL :)

Thanks again for your input! It's good to know it's not in my head and that I can do this. I'm going to continue my progest-e though - I think if I stop that I will go crazy - LOL! It definitely stopped my hot flashes - I started getting those a few months after my surgery and progest-e and thyroid stopped them.

InChristAlone

So I just realized I didn't really know what surgery you had, did you have both ovaries removed? So there is no chance of ovulation correct? So your cycles are anovulatory? That might mean more estrogen is being produced without the progesterone to offset, so yes progest-e will be very helpful!

OP
lindsay

lindsay

So I just realized I didn't really know what surgery you had, did you have both ovaries removed? So there is no chance of ovulation correct? So your cycles are anovulatory? That might mean more estrogen is being produced without the progesterone to offset, so yes progest-e will be very helpful!

I just had my left ovary removed. I had a large growth which caused a very painful (and multiple) torsions. That was a little over three years ago. I discovered RP shortly thereafter and his work has been truly life-changing for me.

Last edited:

tara

Congratulations. :)

Except I could eat jelly beans all the time - LOL :)
Yay for jelly beans (and jelly snakes, and jelly crocodiles and dinosaurs and jelly fruit and ... ).

Kray

Thanks for sharing your experience! And a reminder that "health"-- balance-- takes patience and knowing yourself better than handing it over to doctors.

I have daughters who have always been irregular and had infrequent cycles. Still the general trend today. Any insights that might point me to some helps? I'm looking at PCOS (sharing on another thread about that). For you, thyroid and progesterone, right? I know my oldest daughters won't consider thyroid, it's even hard to get them to try some progesterone. Considering all that, might you think Kenogen or other progest topical might be a good place to start? They have been Peating along with me for some years now and seem ok on metabolism, except my oldest 2 do seem to get more cold than the others on a given day.

Thanks!

OP
lindsay

lindsay

Thanks for sharing your experience! And a reminder that "health"-- balance-- takes patience and knowing yourself better than handing it over to doctors.

I have daughters who have always been irregular and had infrequent cycles. Still the general trend today. Any insights that might point me to some helps? I'm looking at PCOS (sharing on another thread about that). For you, thyroid and progesterone, right? I know my oldest daughters won't consider thyroid, it's even hard to get them to try some progesterone. Considering all that, might you think Kenogen or other progest topical might be a good place to start? They have been Peating along with me for some years now and seem ok on metabolism, except my oldest 2 do seem to get more cold than the others on a given day.

Thanks!

I will have more to report if I continue cycling - if somewhat on schedule, I should have another period in a week and a half. We will see how it goes! But in the past, menstruation has been somewhat irregular, very light and I suffered ovarian cysts when I was in high school - usually due to eating problems (dieting) and I always played intense sports. Whenever I was put on birth control, however, I had very negative reactions to it. So I stopped shortly into my Freshman year of college.

I am not sure how you might help your daughters without them being willing participants, but I've been taking thyroid and progesterone together now for over two years. Personally, I hate how I feel when not taking thyroid and progesterone, so you'd be hard pressed to get me to stop taking them (and I would probably try to convince any female with menstruation issues to at least try progesterone). Thyroid I would only really suggest if you know there is pituitary and endocrine disrupt - for me, being told I was post menopausal at age 30 was enough of a reason to give both a try. Have your daughters had bloodwork to assess their situations? Each person is different and might benefit from different therapies, but I think it's really hard to solve things in modern times without some supplements - unless you are able to live somewhere with a clean environment and very little stress. I currently apply progesterone topically mixed with essential oils (lavender and orange usually) and some lotion (I use a coconut oil based lotion - my skin gets terribly dry without it). I apply to my breasts and abdomen and every evening to my wrists (with only essential oils to help it spread). I also use TyroMax topically, Swanson's pregnenolone to help me manage stress, and supplement vitamins A, K2 and D topically and K2 internally. I figure I get enough vitamin E in the progesterone solutions (I've used Kenogen in the past and now have Health Natura on hand because it was on sale). I like both.

I might be a bit crazy, but I am obsessed with staying regular. It keeps me sane - LOL. I think there is something truly important about keeping the bowels clean - really helps with hormonal balance, IMO. I regularly consume carrots, oranges, orange juice and sometimes beets, because I find they all help. And I always have Cascara on hand. I think it's really the whole diet and holistic approach, along with supplements that have helped me. And I still have a ways to go. I had to quit intense exercise and start incorporating yoga into my life to really allow me to calm down - I was just so stressed. I still need to work on stress, as I get stressed by my work very easily. But I'm so grateful for finding Ray Peat's work. It helped me overcome years of eating disorders, bad diets, over exercising and anxiety. Things I thought I would never get past.

So I hope your daughters will find that balance! I'm sure there is more to it too - I've heard things about mineral balance being important for menstruation, which is why I'm determined to eat liver. Also, I'm sure you know this, but avoiding PUFA is huge!! The only good thing my doctor ever did right was to recommend that I take vitamin E to help me with Fibrocystic breasts - I've been taking it for years, which is the only reason I think I don't have more PUFA issues. I seriously avoid PUFA like the plague now.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals