Menorrhagia - Heavy Periods

Fil72

I have a friend who is suffering from this in the extreme. She is in her mid forties and has been suffering from this since her teens. It's causing her to be anaemic among other things. Estrogen dominance is one of the problems here (together with Mg deficiency) which I have supported her with (I am a Nutritional Therapist) but I desperately need some new angles on this as it doesn't seem to get better. She is a vegetarian since her early 20's. She has said she could perhaps eat some seafood but isn't keen. She is having the carrot salad every day. Advice please would be much appreciated.

Is she following the peat diet template? I'm not an expert or anything and am still trying to solve my own condition which includes heavy periods, but here are some thoughts I had.

Is she getting plenty of carbs through fruit and sugar? Also, how is protien intake? Potatoes have very high quality protien. Some ideas for vitamin containing foods are well cooked kale and pumpkin puree. Peat suggests eating well cooked vegetables to help digest them. Another thing to try is bag breathing or even breathing meditation, which can help with a lot of things. If the blood gasses are off, it could affect how the body sheds blood.

Something from the peat article "Bleeding, clotting, cancer":

"Things to reduce the stress-related coagulopathies: Sugar and niacin to minimize the liberation of fatty acids, progesterone and thyroid to protect against estrogen and to avoid hypoglycemia (which increases adrenaline and free fatty acids and accelerates clotting), magnesium and gelatin (or glycine), to protect against intracellular calcium overload and hypoxia, and vitamin E and salicylic acid for antiinflammatory effects, are major nutrients that protect the circulatory system against clotting, bleeding, edema, and tumefaction."

It would definitely be good to get more info: hormone levels, thyroid function, vitamin deficiencies, or even just temps and heart rate throughout the day could help uncover the problem. Very often heavy periods are an indication of something else that's wrong.

tara

In addition to Zelda's suggestions ...

There is at least one, maybe more, here who had success in reducing heavy bleeding.
Did you see this thread? https://raypeatforum.com/community/threads/heavy-bleeding.3683/

As well as ensuring adequate nutrition - good quality protein (eg at least 80g, maybe more) - if she is vegetarian but not vegan, then milk, cheese, eggs can be good, carbs, minerals, vitamins, calories etc, I would read up on progesterone (and estrogen) on Peat's web site and here, and consider trying supplemental progesterone (I think via gums has advantages over transdermal creams).

Eg start here and then read the others on his site: http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/progesterone-summaries.shtml

Haidut's estroban product is a balanced mix of fat-soluble vitamins that can be important for helping balance estrogen - if diet is not already rich in these, could consider adding something like this.

Peat said some people find just adding the daily raw carrot salad is enough to make a difference to balancing those hormones - helps remove bile-bound estrogen before it can all be reabsorbed.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals