Menopause Is Associated With Accelerated Lung Function Decline

http://www.atsjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1164/rccm.201605-0968OC

Going through the menopause impacts the lungs the same way as smoking 20 cigarettes a day for a decade, scientists claim.
Experts say the change accelerates the decline in the lungs' ability to expand and expel air.
This could make middle-aged women who have come to the end of their menstrual cycle suffer from a shortness of breath and fatigue.

Norwegian researchers looked at the forced vital capacity (FVC) - a measure of lung size - in 1,438 women aged between 25 and 48.
They also assessed the forced expiratory volume in one second (FEV1) - how much air can be exhaled in one second.
All of the participants had not yet began the menopause and were followed over the next 20 years.
They found both measures of the lungs' ability to function reduced in women going through the menopause, more so than what was expected.

Regina

http://www.atsjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1164/rccm.201605-0968OC

Going through the menopause impacts the lungs the same way as smoking 20 cigarettes a day for a decade, scientists claim.
Experts say the change accelerates the decline in the lungs' ability to expand and expel air.
This could make middle-aged women who have come to the end of their menstrual cycle suffer from a shortness of breath and fatigue.

Norwegian researchers looked at the forced vital capacity (FVC) - a measure of lung size - in 1,438 women aged between 25 and 48.
They also assessed the forced expiratory volume in one second (FEV1) - how much air can be exhaled in one second.
All of the participants had not yet began the menopause and were followed over the next 20 years.
They found both measures of the lungs' ability to function reduced in women going through the menopause, more so than what was expected.
I could hear myself wheezing a little bit on the mat tonight on the exhale during the pins. Okay, so I have an excuse.
How do I "upgrade" "biohack" and "bulletproof" my menopausal lungs? :smug

Such_Saturation

I could hear myself wheezing a little bit on the mat tonight on the exhale during the pins. Okay, so I have an excuse.
How do I "upgrade" "biohack" and "bulletproof" my menopausal lungs? :smug

I don't know... maybe an air ionizer. There are some Ray Peat quotes about the lungs. Also a Bulletproof sticker on your chest (they come with the coffee when you order it).

Regina

I don't know... maybe an air ionizer. There are some Ray Peat quotes about the lungs. Also a Bulletproof sticker on your chest (they come with the coffee when you order it).
But I have so much hair on my chest.
Good reminder about the air. I'm having construction in my house and now the heating system is on 24/7. Quite a horrible environment.

Such_Saturation

But I have so much hair on my chest.
Good reminder about the air. I'm having construction in my house and now the heating system is on 24/7. Quite a horrible environment.

The ions are supposed to "destroy serotonin". I'd be interested in knowing his favorite humidity level, though.

Such_Saturation

Oh, very interesting.
It's so dry in my house all winter, you could crack a picture frame.

Well I'd sooner invest in a humidifier than a ionizer myself.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
F Estrogen And Menopause Female Issues 17
haidut PUFA Inhibit Progesterone Production And Thus Drive/cause Menopause Scientific Studies 7
Xisca Menopause, Progest-e And PMS-like? Female Issues 40
Lianda Big Belly After Menopause Source Of Estrogen Dominance Female Issues 4
L Collagen May Inhibit Weight Gain In Menopause Gelatin 1
L Menopause And Dr John Lee Female Issues 27
S Diabetes II Linked To Estrogen Exposure And Onset Of Menopause Female Issues 0
J Apparent Contradictory Effects Of Oestrogen, Progesterone In Menopause Ask For Help or Advice 3
haidut Low-dose Glycine As A Treatment For Menopause, Osteoporosis, Obesity Scientific Studies 25
R Newbie - Menopause Issues Female Issues 26
K Warmth After Menopause Health 0
S Surgical menopause HRT no libido Female Issues 5
S post menopause ,got breast tenderness again Female Issues 7
L Beyond Menopause Supplements 4
E Menopause and nausea Meet & Greet 1
Lianda Menopause or Thyroid Hot Flashes Female Issues 7
charlie Menopause And Its Causes Articles & Newsletters 6
Mito Serotonin is elevated in COVID- 19-associated diarrhoea Miscellaneous Health Discussions 33
T Each Hormone Deficiency Is Associated With A Distinct Kind Of Fatigue. I Had Them All Thyroid and Hormones 28
E Coffee Associated With Improved Survival In Metastatic Colorectal Cancer Patients Scientific Studies 0
Amazigh Famotidine Use Is Associated With Improved Clinical Outcomes In Hospitalized COVID-19 Patients Scientific Studies 2
K Tons Of Health Risks Associated With Going Bald Young Hair & Nails 74
haidut DHT Is Negatively Associated With Death From Prostate Cancer Scientific Studies 4
Tristan Loscha Severe And Persistent Thyroid Dysfunction Associated With Tetracycline-Antibiotic Treatment In Youth Pharmaceutical Drugs 45
R Lifetime Alcohol Intake Associated With Lower Cerebral Amyloid-beta Deposition Scientific Studies 11
Hans Glucose Oxidation Prevents Obesity-associated Insulin Resistance And Inflammation Scientific Studies 15
L Nicotinamide Mononucleotide Ameliorates The Depression-like Behaviors And Is Associated With Attenua B3/Niacinamide 0
Porridge Anti-Peat Depletion Of Microbiome May Be Associated With Increased Allergies, Autoimmune, GI Diseases, Obesity Debate - Anti-Peat 1
jzeno Dog Ownership Associated With Longer Life, Especially Among Heart Attack And Stroke Survivors Scientific Studies 19
Tristan Loscha Study:Normal To High NaCl Intake Is Associated WithPsoriasis, CNS-Disorders,IL17 Sodium 7
Jamesu Could Increased Emotionality Associated With DecreasedSerotonin?n Male Issues 0
Lokzo Movie Genre Preferences + Associated Neurotransmitters/Hormones Miscellaneous Health Discussions 12
B Higher Testosterone Levels Are Associated With Unfaithful Behavior In Men Ask For Help or Advice 41
Mito Animal And Plant Protein Usual Intakes Are Not Associated With Mortality In US Adults Articles & Scientific Studies 1
DaveFoster Cardiac Arrests Are Not Associated With Trans Fat Consumption Scientific Studies 0
Lokzo Fasting Serum Bile Acids Concentration Is Associated With Insulin Resistance Independently Of Diabet Scientific Studies 0
Lokzo Diets High In Resistant Starch Associated With CVD Risk Scientific Studies 0
L Antibiotics Eliminate Senescent Cells Associated With Ageing Scientific Studies 2
Lokzo Choline Associated Hypersexuality In A 79-year-old Man Scientific Studies 20
L Circulating Estrone (E1) Levels Are Associated With Diabetes Scientific Studies 0
Lokzo High Protein Intake Is Associated With Low Plasma NAD+ Levels In A Healthy Human Cohort Scientific Studies 0
H High Protein Intake Associated With Low Plasma NAD+ (Human Study) Scientific Studies 2
E Chicken And Eggs Intake Associated With Anti-androgenic Phthalate Intake Scientific Studies 21
Hans Excess Iron Is Associated With Diabetes, Obesity And Metabolic Syndrome Minerals 35
Dan Wich Coffee Intake Associated With Lowered Mortality Even For Genetic "Slow Metabolizers" Scientific Studies 3
Mito Induction Of NO Metabolism In Enterocytes Alleviates Colitis And Inflammation-Associated Colon Cance Articles & Scientific Studies 0
C Serum N1-Methylnicotinamide Is Associated With Obesity And Diabetes In Chinese Scientific Studies 1
VendettaRed911 Familial Longevity Is Associated With Decreased Thyroid Function Thyroid and Hormones 24
vulture Cortisol: A Hormone Associated With Prostate Cancer Scientific Studies 2
DaveFoster Starches Not Associated With Weight Gain Starches, Fiber, Legumes 3