Menopause And Dr John Lee

L

Louisa

Morning everyone,

I used to belong to another forum here in the UK. I left last night, deleted my account - why? Because I informed the others about a book on the menopause by Dr John Lee. They all got very aggressive and said stuff like 'oh we don't talk about him on here' and 'you don't believe he's right do you? !"

All I was saying is that I'd found an interesting book and that I am waiting for it to arrive so I can read it. I can't judge him until I've read the book etc, can I ? I can't say if I think he is right until I've read it can I ? !!!

Thanks for letting me 'sound off' about this guys.

M

marikay

I found Ray Peat through Dr. Lee's book. Lee said somewhere (maybe not in the book but somewhere) that he first came to regard progesterone as a beneficial hormone after attending a lecture by Ray Peat way back in 1969. That led me to look up Ray and that's how I found ProgestE which, as you can see from my other posts, I believe to be a miracle substance:)

And I found John Lee through a recommendation from a gynecologist (a friend of a friend of a friend and someone I never met) who said to tell me, and I quote, "you didn't hear it from me."

So that tells us how much the mainstream medical society is afraid to tell anyone the truth.

I am interested to hear what you think of the book. Please let us know.

L

lollipop

I found Ray Peat through Dr. Lee's book. Lee said somewhere (maybe not in the book but somewhere) that he first came to regard progesterone as a beneficial hormone after attending a lecture by Ray Peat way back in 1969. That led me to look up Ray and that's how I found ProgestE which, as you can see from my other posts, I believe to be a miracle substance:)

And I found John Lee through a recommendation from a gynecologist (a friend of a friend of a friend and someone I never met) who said to tell me, and I quote, "you didn't hear it from me."

So that tells us how much the mainstream medical society is afraid to tell anyone the truth.

I am interested to hear what you think of the book. Please let us know.
I agree with @marikay progesterone has really made a difference for me.

Just wow: "you didn't hear it from me". Soooo much I want to comment on this but refraining...recently had my nightly dose of progest-e - lol.

M

marikay

I agree with @marikay progesterone has really made a difference for me.

Just wow: "you didn't hear it from me". Soooo much I want to comment on this but refraining...recently had my nightly dose of progest-e - lol.

ProgestE for the win. (I recently purchased some Simply Progesterone from Health Natura. It works nearly as well.) Cheers.

OP
L

Louisa

I started progesterone cream 6 weeks ago so fingers crossed it will soon kick in. (things take their time to work on me !) Yes, as soon as I get the book I will let you all know what I think etc.

I must say that I am distinctly getting the impression that people are afraid of the truth. If Dr Lee is right then good on him for speaking out and I am hoping my suspicions are correct with what I've heard about him so far. Can't wait to get the book.
I also read on his website about the dangers of fluoride too - wow !

Thanks everyone for replying and not getting aggresive. :)

M

marikay

I started progesterone cream 6 weeks ago so fingers crossed it will soon kick in. (things take their time to work on me !) Yes, as soon as I get the book I will let you all know what I think etc.

I must say that I am distinctly getting the impression that people are afraid of the truth. If Dr Lee is right then good on him for speaking out and I am hoping my suspicions are correct with what I've heard about him so far. Can't wait to get the book.
I also read on his website about the dangers of fluoride too - wow !

Thanks everyone for replying and not getting aggresive. :)

It sounds like you are on the right track. But I want to make sure I am clear that the progesterone creams applied topically did not do anything for me (and they were expensive). That's why I kept looking till I found ProgestE which I take orally by rubbing into my gums and cheeks. Cheers.

L

lollipop

It sounds like you are on the right track. But I want to make sure I am clear that the progesterone creams applied topically did not do anything for me (and they were expensive). That's why I kept looking till I found ProgestE which I take orally by rubbing into my gums and cheeks. Cheers.
I agree and would add that I did not really see huge results from Progest-e until I began high dosing it. Then I noticed in 20min. Immediately I felt like myself again. Three days later my period came again (had stopped) and still going strong and regular. Two things gave me the confidence to high dose:

The old member Peatarian thread about Progesterone where she consistently argues for high dose. AND this website (have to ignore the "affiliate and marketing push for their product - but good research and good info on the site:

Progesterone FAQ

M

marikay

I agree and would add that I did not really see huge results from Progest-e until I began high dosing it. Then I noticed in 20min. Immediately I felt like myself again. Three days later my period came again (had stopped) and still going strong and regular. Two things gave me the confidence to high dose:

The old member Peatarian thread about Progesterone where she consistently argues for high dose. AND this website (have to ignore the "affiliate and marketing push for their product - but good research and good info on the site:

Progesterone FAQ

come to think of it, my first use of ProgestE was a pretty high dose. i had been suffering from a frozen shoulder and so took the advice to use three drops every ten minutes. i did this several times. then i got scared and stopped taking it till i went to bed that night and took three more drops. the next morning the frozen shoulder (which i had suffered with for over a year) was completely gone. it has never come back.

nowadays i just use three drops twice a day and take a week or two off every once in a while. but it's a good reminder that sometimes a big dose, especially if it is to help a chronic condition, is worth a try. cheers.

OP
L

Louisa

The book should arrive the second week of September, according to Ebay. I had a hysterectomy in 1991 due to cervical cancer. My ovaries were left in as they were/are ok. I don't know if I should of started some hormone stuff back then but I was told at the time I didn't need it due to still having my ovaries. I was 32 in 1991, I am now 57.

M

marikay

The book should arrive the second week of September, according to Ebay. I had a hysterectomy in 1991 due to cervical cancer. My ovaries were left in as they were/are ok. I don't know if I should of started some hormone stuff back then but I was told at the time I didn't need it due to still having my ovaries. I was 32 in 1991, I am now 57.

Ray says using progesterone will induce your ovaries (and maybe other glands?) to make progesterone of its own. I can't think of a downside for a woman in menopause to take progesterone. But I'd make sure it's something like ProgestE and not a chemically tweaked estrogen (e.g. progestin which is a pharmaceutic). Please let us know how it all goes.

OP
L

Louisa

I certainly hope what Ray says regarding the use of progesterone to encourage my ovaries to make their own progesterone will prove to be correct marikay. I am using a natural progesterone cream ( I have 4 tubs of Serenity Cream). I shall research ProgestE when I have used these tubs of cream first.

M

marikay

I certainly hope what Ray says regarding the use of progesterone to encourage my ovaries to make their own progesterone will prove to be correct marikay. I am using a natural progesterone cream ( I have 4 tubs of Serenity Cream). I shall research ProgestE when I have used these tubs of cream first.

Here's a quote from Ray regarding making your own progesterone.

“Since progesterone tends to promote its own synthesis, it shouldn’t be necessary to keep using it, unless the ovaries have been removed, or the thyroid or cholesterol level is very low, or aging has damaged their ability to convert cholesterol to progesterone. While an excess of carotene can inhibit progesterone synthesis, a carrot salad (grated carrots, vinegar, coconut oil, and salt) can often help to normalize progesterone, apparently by protecting against intestinal absorption of bacterial endotoxin, and by helping to reduce the reabsorption of estrogen which has been excreted in the bile.

OP
L

Louisa

Here's a quote from Ray regarding making your own progesterone.

“Since progesterone tends to promote its own synthesis, it shouldn’t be necessary to keep using it, unless the ovaries have been removed, or the thyroid or cholesterol level is very low, or aging has damaged their ability to convert cholesterol to progesterone. While an excess of carotene can inhibit progesterone synthesis, a carrot salad (grated carrots, vinegar, coconut oil, and salt) can often help to normalize progesterone, apparently by protecting against intestinal absorption of bacterial endotoxin, and by helping to reduce the reabsorption of estrogen which has been excreted in the bile.

I have Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid, take Levothyroxine) of which my levels are now ok. I am always eating carrots and recently start using coconut oil and coconut milk I also now use wheat free flour and am gluten free as I am intolerant of dairy, wheat etc.

OP
L

Louisa

Ray says using progesterone will induce your ovaries (and maybe other glands?) to make progesterone of its own. I can't think of a downside for a woman in menopause to take progesterone. But I'd make sure it's something like ProgestE and not a chemically tweaked estrogen (e.g. progestin which is a pharmaceutic). Please let us know how it all goes.

Well I received the book a few days ago and I am shocked to read what is contained in the pages of this book. The dangers of estrogen are clearly apparent in the pages, the facts that Dr Lee reveals concerning the use of estrogen replacement are frightening. I felt truly fearful of what I was reading, but on a positive note I now know I am doing the right thing in avoiding estrogen and just using my progesterone cream. The information in the introduction I found startling but all I can say is thank God I found this book.

Page 52, the chart showing falling levels of estrogen and page 53 where Dr John Lee writes-
“Western women tend to have a 10-15 year period prior to menopause when they are estrogen dominant and suffering from estrogen dominance symptoms, and some doctors are giving them more estrogen. Something is terribly wrong here!”

Those few words contained in that sentence scare me “and some doctors are giving them more estrogen!”

I have just skipped forward as I found a chapter on chemicals in the home – wow! An awful lot of stuff has now gone in the bin, I am checking labels on everything, even medication which seems to be ok, well as ok as it can be as I can't stop taking my thyroid meds. I also learnt in this book that the menopause and thyroid problems are connected, maybe the progesterone cream will have a 'knock on effect?', it will be interesting to see my thyroid blood results next time I need to have my thyroid levels checked.

I will come back with more of my thoughts as I progress through this amazing book. I have had to put it down for a few days as it really has shaken me up.

ps, It also makes me wonder what else is going on in the medical world that we don't know about - frightening.

M

marikay

glad to see you have the book @Louisa it was eye opening for me as well. how is the progesterone cream working? i ask because i started with a cream as well but it didn't work for me.

also please take a look here on the forum on the topic of taking T4 only. you might want to consider adding in some T3 which most of us around here take along with the T4.

can't wait to read of your results.

cheers.

OP
L

Louisa

glad to see you have the book @Louisa it was eye opening for me as well. how is the progesterone cream working? i ask because i started with a cream as well but it didn't work for me.

also please take a look here on the forum on the topic of taking T4 only. you might want to consider adding in some T3 which most of us around here take along with the T4.

can't wait to read of your results.

cheers.

Well I don't think I'm due a blood test just yet, maybe in a cpl of months as not long ago had one done.

The progesterone cream- I am using it twice a day an eighth of a teaspoon and I was stopping for a week as recommended. I have been advised not to have a break of a week as I have been without progesterone for soooo long. Had a hysterectomy in 1991 and wasn't given anything so my body needs to 'catch up' so to speak. The little hairs (2 ) I used to get on my chin have stopped appearing. I used to have to pluck them out with tweezers. So I shall take my time and carry on with the cream, monitoring effects as I go but I do now feel 'different' if you know what I mean - can't quite put my finger on it so something is working.

I have been checked for any deficiency of T3 and I am fine, I don't need it.

Well I don't think I'm due a blood test just yet, maybe in a cpl of months as not long ago had one done.

The progesterone cream- I am using it twice a day an eighth of a teaspoon and I was stopping for a week as recommended. I have been advised not to have a break of a week as I have been without progesterone for soooo long. Had a hysterectomy in 1991 and wasn't given anything so my body needs to 'catch up' so to speak. The little hairs (2 ) I used to get on my chin have stopped appearing. I used to have to pluck them out with tweezers. So I shall take my time and carry on with the cream, monitoring effects as I go but I do now feel 'different' if you know what I mean - can't quite put my finger on it so something is working.

I have been checked for any deficiency of T3 and I am fine, I don't need it.

T3 may be useful anyway. I pay more attention to temperatures and feelings than I do to the testing. T4 and T3 can be indispensable.

OP
L

Louisa

T3 may be useful anyway. I pay more attention to temperatures and feelings than I do to the testing. T4 and T3 can be indispensable.

Well I can ask the endo but it's getting hold of T3, it's on prescription in the uk

many of us get our T3 from other sources, even in the UK. I would also take T4. It's important to take both.