Memory Foam Mattress, Memory Foam Pillow - Are These Good?

Logan-

I have a memory foam mattress and a memory foam pillow. They are both supposedly high quality ones; but I suspect these are negatively affecting my sleep. I sleep in a dark, silent and cool environment, and care about my circadian rhythm in general.

I have researched about these and other kinds of mattress and pillows on the internet, but I couldn't find consistent data of any kind. I read articles and reviews, but couldn't form an idea.

Science Won't Help You Pick a Better Mattress

I've found these in regards to memory foam:

https://news.softpedia.com/news/Can-Your-Mattress-Kill-You-76887.shtml
Memory Foam Mattresses: Are They Safe? - Sleep Junkie

What kind of mattress and pillow do you use? What do you think about memory foam products?

Dr. C

Buteyko guys are saying the the hardest matress is the best as this may slow down your breathing frequency which will rise your CO2

OP
L

Logan-

When would humans ever had access to such a thing?! New technology doesn't mean it will be better. You want the spine to realign. Sleeping on harder surface does this better. At least that's what I have found. I sleep on a 3 inch futon. There is no pressure point alleviation but gives feedback.

I currently sleep on a 1 inch cotton shiatsu mat probably like a futon. SUPER comfortable and even great feedback like you said. If someone wants a mattress the independent spring/coils firm is awesome and also gives excellent support like the floor.

Just came across this thread and I thought I would share. I currently sleep on a Japanese Futon. It is all natural and is basically a compressed pile of sheeted cotton. It is essentially like sleeping on a carpeted wooden floor, or dirt.
I believe that sleeping on a harder surface is completely natural, and is likely much healthier than sleeping on a soft mattress. I believe Soft mattresses spread the pressure over larger areas that are not designed to have pressure and may keep the body out of alignment, and inhibit sleep detoxification.
However, I think being comfortable trumps all when it comes sleep quality. And I believe that sleeping in a hard surface is much more comfortable when your soft tissue cells are properly energized, and you are "loose." If you are inflamed or "tight" from low cellular energy, then sleeping on a harder surface may be difficult to adapt to.

My n=1; Most of my life I had a tendency to crawl out of bed in the middle of the night and sleep on the floor. I also always ate tons of food and would also "sleep eat," eating lots of food in the middle of the night without really remembering doing it. I ruined an ex girlfriends birthday by eating half her cake the night before her party :/
When I got into paleo, low carb and eventually fasting and ketoginic dieting, for the first time in my life I bought a plush mattress because my floor no longer felt comfortable, and even my futon (6" thick foam) felt uncomfortable. For a few years doing low carb soft beds felt best, but I would always toss and turn, because I could never seem to stay in 1 position for more than a couple hours. Towards the end of my low carb, I honestly considered buying a $3000 mattress because I was convinced that the mattress was the problem.
As I have worked on my metabolism I again found myself crawling out of bed onto the floor. When I broke up with my girl, I decided it was dumb to have a monster bed that I was sleeping next to most nights. I bought the thinnest, and most basic Japanese futon I could find, and the base is a solid Japanese platform bed. It's very stiff, and has zero give. I am now uncomfortable in "real" beds and always end up crawling out when I have to use them.

I never really put things together until I started reading Dr Peats articles on how energy deprived cells become "stiff." This stiffness seems to translate into what we refer to as flexibility. Working as a phisical therapist, and sports trainer, I have has a chance to test this on equipment designed to measure range of motion in particular joints. And without fail on the days I feel energized and low stress, my range of motion is always larger, sometimes much larger. I've also noticed my posture is directly related to my energy levels.

It's no wonder all the yogi's are on high carb vegan diets. I don't know if that's optimal, but it definitely makes you loose!

I do a 3inch foam futon on the floor, I prefer a harder sleeping surface but I have had to get used to it and sometimes feels a bit hard. But I like it!

I sleep on the floor. A wool pad is nice and if it is on a hard floor, then some yoga mats under the wool pad works. When I sleep on a hard floor, the effect is much different than with a wool thin mattress directly on the floor. I need more padding for the hard floor versus when I am on the floor with carpeting. However, in either case, I feel infinitely better than when sleeping on a bed. It feels more "grounding" and less like my body is floating in a marshmallow with nothing supporting it. To me, this feels better, but I can see why this might not feel nice to others.

I always slept on some minor padding just to have a barrier between the floor's cold surface and that of the skin.

Last edited:
I have a memory foam mattress and a memory foam pillow. They are both supposedly high quality ones; but I suspect these are negatively affecting my sleep. I sleep in a dark, silent and cool environment, and care about my circadian rhythm in general.

I have researched about these and other kinds of mattress and pillows on the internet, but I couldn't find consistent data of any kind. I read articles and reviews, but couldn't form an idea.

Can Your Mattress Kill You?

What kind of mattress and pillow do you use? What do you think about memory foam products?
The off-gassing from the Temperpedic mattress toppers and almost every other mattress on the market is sickening! I use to have really bad achy legs and trouble sleeping through the night, for a dozen or more years. I never knew why I was having those issues because I felt fine during the day, until I stumbling upon off-gassing articles. Our bodies absorb all those off-gassing poisons through our skin and breathing it through our lungs, from furniture, bedding, mattresses, car upholstery, clothing and such and the havoc they wreak causes a host of problems from migraines to fibromyalgia to even cancer. Since we spend 1/3 of our life in bed, and some people more, i felt it worth the cost of a chemical free bed. To my surprise and all my aches and pains went away as well as my longtime sleep issues, and many histamine issues as well!

Missenger

Since we spend 1/3 of our life in bed, and some people more, i felt it worth the cost of a chemical free bed. To my surprise and all my aches and pains went away as well as my longtime sleep issues, and many histamine issues as well!
Did you just pick something plastic without fire-retardant or is it natural material?

Missenger

I guess it's either latex or spring mattresses for people since beds will just compress without either. Latex sure is pricey though. Washing sheets without bleach or soap detergent and warm-hot water (ie vinegar or soda) helps a lot, the residue isn't healthy. Inclined bed therapy is also good.

I guess it's either latex or spring mattresses for people since beds will just compress without either. Latex sure is pricey though. Washing sheets without bleach or soap detergent and warm-hot water (ie vinegar or soda) helps a lot, the residue isn't healthy. Inclined bed therapy is also good.
Oh yeah I like the results from sleeping on an incline! It has been great for my sinuses, hence no more puffy eyes in the morning, and has been good for digestion too!

Santosh

The off-gassing from the Temperpedic mattress toppers and almost every other mattress on the market is sickening! I use to have really bad achy legs and trouble sleeping through the night, for a dozen or more years. I never knew why I was having those issues because I felt fine during the day, until I stumbling upon off-gassing articles. Our bodies absorb all those off-gassing poisons through our skin and breathing it through our lungs, from furniture, bedding, mattresses, car upholstery, clothing and such and the havoc they wreak causes a host of problems from migraines to fibromyalgia to even cancer. Since we spend 1/3 of our life in bed, and some people more, i felt it worth the cost of a chemical free bed. To my surprise and all my aches and pains went away as well as my longtime sleep issues, and many histamine issues as well!

Interesting ! Do you have an all-cotton bed now ? Did you have to replace all your furnitures to notice a change or just the bed ?

Interesting ! Do you have an all-cotton bed now ? Did you have to replace all your furnitures to notice a change or just the bed ?
I did replace my bed with organic, and I washed my leather sofa with a vinegar and water solution and let it off-gass for several years before I sat on it again. I get a little paranoid sitting on my furniture too long, so if I am going to be there for and hour or more I put down a big cotton towel or blanket. It is better to buy clothes from consignment stores too, as they have been washed and off-gassed somewhere else. I got rid of the clothes that I “live in” and sleep in, and replaced them with 100% cotton. I kept the more expensive clothing, that I only wear out for a couple of few hours. They have off-gassed over the years too. I quit taking my clothes to the cleaners and do it myself as well.

Santosh

I did replace my bed with organic, and I washed my leather sofa with a vinegar and water solution and let it off-gass for several years before I sat on it again. I get a little paranoid sitting on my furniture too long, so if I am going to be there for and hour or more I put down a big cotton towel or blanket. It is better to buy clothes from consignment stores too, as they have been washed and off-gassed somewhere else. I got rid of the clothes that I “live in” and sleep in, and replaced them with 100% cotton. I kept the more expensive clothing, that I only wear out for a couple of few hours. They have off-gassed over the years too. I quit taking my clothes to the cleaners and do it myself as well.

Thank you

sunny

What mattress did you end up with?

Can Your Mattress Kill You?

I use to have my room as dark as possible, with blackout shades, but finally took Ray Peat’s advice to have a nightlight on, and I sleep much better for it. I go to sleep earlier than I use to and leave my blinds open so I wake up with the sun now, and sometimes earlier to see the sun come up. This way feels more organic. I don’t get startled awake anymore with an alarm clock. Natural silk pillowcases have been nice too, cool and not abrasive.

Did you just pick something plastic without fire-retardant or is it natural material?
Plushbeds is built in a box with layers of organic materials, I think seven layers, and you can unzip the mattress and adjust the layers, so you never have to live with a dip in your mattress.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals