Melatonin

J

j.

Ray Peat said:
Many health food stores are now selling melatonin, to induce sleep and "prevent cancer." They have taken some information out of context, and don't realize how dangerous melatonin is. It makes the brain sluggish, causes the sex organs to shrink, and damages immunity by shrinking the thymus gland.

USING SUNLIGHT TO SUSTAIN LIFE

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
How can everything be gotten so wrong? :crazy:

gretchen

Sleep is also important, all year round of course, but particularly in the winter when the days are short. T.S. Wiley has an interesting book about light and how it affects the endocrine system, Lights Out. She says it is important to go to sleep soon after sundown 3/4 of the year (fall through spring) to prevent an overload of artificial light which throws the endocrine system out of whack. She says if you go to sleep late and get up late in the winter prolactin spills over during the day.

I think Ray also says darkness (ie sleep) is important to balance the effects of daylight also and to prevent an overproduction of melatonin & prolactin.... not sure. In any case, no people shouldn't supplement melatonin; they should go to sleep earlier most of the year.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
gretchen, do you follow this and go to sleep soon after dark? If so, do you notice a difference?

gretchen

Charlie said:
gretchen, do you follow this and go to sleep soon after dark? If so, do you notice a difference?

I went to sleep every night at 8 last winter and did notice some difference. This year, I've been pushing the bedtime forward to 8:30 and I notice a difference. Last year I could get up at 6 without a problem; this year I'm having a lot of trouble.

T.S. Wiley seems to think getting tons of sleep in the winter is key; 9.5 hours is what she recommends. However, she says you should go to sleep soon after it gets dark out and get up at dawn and if you don't, then you can have metabolic/hormonal problems.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I cant imagine going to sleep right after dark, that would be hard. :(

gretchen

Charlie said:
I cant imagine going to sleep right after dark, that would be hard. :(

Wiley makes a case for it. Her insulin theories are kinda crap but the idea that we should get up and go to sleep with the sun makes sense to me.

Ray-Z

j. said:
Charlie said:
How can everything be gotten so wrong? :crazy:

It's our job to fix it. This forum is a great step.

:yeahthat

Paul Jaminet persuaded me that big doses of melatonin were a terrific way to fix my sleep problems. I used it for over a year before encountering Ray Peat's perspective on melatonin. Here's (part of) what I am going to do to Paul Jaminet when I meet him:

:nutkick

I'm joking, of course. I'm responsible for my own stupid actions. But PJ should return to astrophysics or whatever he did before he became an internet nutrition guru...

gretchen

j. said:
Ray Peat said:
Many health food stores are now selling melatonin, to induce sleep and "prevent cancer." They have taken some information out of context, and don't realize how dangerous melatonin is. It makes the brain sluggish, causes the sex organs to shrink, and damages immunity by shrinking the thymus gland.

USING SUNLIGHT TO SUSTAIN LIFE

I've once again been shopping for high protection chemical sunscreens. :? It's just so hard to believe the sun isn't ruining my skin every time I go outside. I really think it is.

OP
J

j.

gretchen said:
It's just so hard to believe the sun isn't ruining my skin every time I go outside. I really think it is.

I think the fats you consume determine whether the UV light damages your skin. If you have a lot of PUFA, it might be better to sunbathe when it isn't too hot.

gretchen

j. said:
gretchen said:
It's just so hard to believe the sun isn't ruining my skin every time I go outside. I really think it is.

I think the fats you consume determine whether the UV light damages your skin. If you have a lot of PUFA, it might be better to sunbathe when it isn't too hot.

At my age (42) it all seems to be snowballing; ie, hormonal loss, stress, accumulated sun damage etc. I've recently done a TCA peel and plan to do another, so I will have to use sunscreen. UV I'm pretty sure absorb through most clothes so you can still absorb it even if you cover your face........... The PUFA/stress/melatonin/aging connection isn't well understood in the anti-aging skincare world; a lot say avoid sunlight and use vitamin D, etc.

It's so confusing. :? Mercola says we should get the full spectrum of UVA & UVB from going outdoors in direct sunlight and that light through windows is unhealthy because it's all UVA which is the aging UV:
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... osure.aspx

PeatFeat

gretchen said:
I've once again been shopping for high protection chemical sunscreens. :? It's just so hard to believe the sun isn't ruining my skin every time I go outside. I really think it is.

If your skin is fair then you don't need as much sunlight to get vitamin D and other benefits than a darker skinned person would. Just don't overdo it and I'm sure your skin will be fine.

Lofihi

why is the Life Extension Foundation pushing melatonin and pufa...with all the research theyve done ...and they missed the.boat on this... I thought they were credible. I took melatonin since 16 years old ...how do I reverse the.damage... My dhea and testosrerone are low, my growth hormone is 170,and pregnenolone is tanked.at.25,,,i tried progesterone from whole foods and it doesnt do what kenogen orogesr-E does why.

montmorency

Intuitively I tend to "hibernate" in winter, and sleep less in summer.

But winter nights here can be so long, you couldn't physically sleep that long - even me.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals