Melatonin Supplementation

Vegancrossfit

I was reading on topical melatonin for hair regrowth, which is based on the fact that hair has a melatonin receptor and a few studies that may or may not prove that some regrowth can be achieved thanks to rubbing that around.

Now I’ve done a DUTCH test and melatonin was low. Granted it was last month and I was sleeping like ***t (heat wave), had terrible sleep the night I decided to run the testing, soooo picture my *suprised pikachu face*. Still - I was shedding quite a bit around that time period. Diffuse nw1.5.

Has anyone got experience with melatonin? I’m eyeing some of those modified release with b6 on amazon.

OP
V

Vegancrossfit

Disclaimer: I ain’t vegan I don’t do CrossFit okay

Unrelated? I see a LOT of very bad hair on inner city people. Disrupted sleep and circadian rhythms?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I’ve used melatonin orally and topically but not on my scalp or for hair growth and haven’t noticed a change in my hair from it. I started melatonin because I was at my wits end from circadian rhythm issues due to night shift work. I don’t think Peat is a huge fan but my situation was pretty desperate. I hope you get some helpful replies.

cjm

I was reading on topical melatonin for hair regrowth, which is based on the fact that hair has a melatonin receptor and a few studies that may or may not prove that some regrowth can be achieved thanks to rubbing that around.

Now I’ve done a DUTCH test and melatonin was low. Granted it was last month and I was sleeping like ***t (heat wave), had terrible sleep the night I decided to run the testing, soooo picture my *suprised pikachu face*. Still - I was shedding quite a bit around that time period. Diffuse nw1.5.

Has anyone got experience with melatonin? I’m eyeing some of those modified release with b6 on amazon.

Jeff Bowles did extensive research on melatonin related to luteinizing hormone and Alzheimer's disease. (He mentions Ray by name on his website.) He experienced hair re-growth (thickening, no change in hair line) during a personal experiment. Hang on to your butt because his dose was enormous:

"with high dose melatonin, get prepared to sleep (like I did) 14 hours a day for 4 months or so--but the sleep feels really good. Then, if you are like me, you will get back to sleeping 7 hours a day while still maintaining a high dose of melatonin. I know about this because about 10 years ago I performed the same experiment on myself, taking up to 500 mg of melatonin every night for a year. One nice side effect: it made my thinning hair grow back thick." (p 74, Extreme Dose! Melatonin)

If you went this route and didn't re-grow your hair, at least you could be confident you wouldn't have Alzheimer's.

Yucca

Oral absorption for melatonin is very low, about 2-3% only.
So 500mg orally is not so high, as you get only maybe 10-15mg really usable for your body/gut...I take 200mg in suppository (home made) each day, this way absorption is much higher, almost 100%. It doesn't make you drowsy at all, if you take it at daytime. In fact, at very high doses, it's quite energetic.
I take it mainly for anti aging purposes, for about 2 months only, no noticeable effect on hair for me (yet), but way deeper sleep, and digestion.

I read also Jeff Bowles, and John Lieurance. They explain it all.

Ben.

If you went this route and didn't re-grow your hair, at least you could be confident you wouldn't have Alzheimer's.

A review under his book on amazon doesn't make this "appealing" either, on the other hand, finasteride has a similar sideeffect:

"Quite interesting until he gets to the point where "sex drive is totally obliterated by extreme doses of melatonin".
Who wants to live forever but without enjoying sex? Not me! "

Yucca

...totally false for me. And my doses are way higher, as the suppository route gives you almost 100% absorption, instead of 2-3% orally.

You're not even tired at all, if you take melatonin at daytime, and expose yourself to natural sunlight.

Last edited:

Ben.

...totally false for me. And my doses are way higher, as the suppository route gives you almost 100% absorption, instead of 2-3% orally.

You're not even tired at all, if you take melatonin at daytime, and expose yourself to natural sunlight.

Good to hear ^^

Its the same with vitamin d and everything else. Helps one person, hurts another. One doesn't know until one has tried it. Altough if i were to notice manhood issues i'd stop instantly.
There are claims EMF and blue light disrupt melatonin production in the body and lead to a sort of vicious cycle impairing sleep we need for restoring our daily damage.

I tried to lookup studies and the findings are ... not realy conclusive. In some it messes melatonin up, in others it does nothing and in a few melatonin was even raised. In a modern world like this, hormone replacement might make sense, but im always cautious about it. Which is a odd "fear" to have considering our hormones are disrupted by daily modernism anyway.

Hermes

Oral absorption for melatonin is very low, about 2-3% only.
So 500mg orally is not so high, as you get only maybe 10-15mg really usable for your body/gut...I take 200mg in suppository (home made) each day, this way absorption is much higher, almost 100%. It doesn't make you drowsy at all, if you take it at daytime. In fact, at very high doses, it's quite energetic.
I take it mainly for anti aging purposes, for about 2 months only, no noticeable effect on hair for me (yet), but way deeper sleep, and digestion.

I read also Jeff Bowles, and John Lieurance. They explain it all.
How do you make it into a suppository form? Fill the powder simply in a gelatine capsule?

Yucca

No, just buy suppository molds, use pure organic coco oil, mix with the powder in a wax heater (less than $20 on amazon) put the liquid in the molds with a pipette, and keep all in the fridge.

...you get one month worth of Mitozen suppositories for less than $3 instead of $180. That's simple.

Hermes

No, just buy suppository molds, use pure organic coco oil, mix with the powder in a wax heater (less than $20 on amazon) put the liquid in the molds with a pipette, and keep all in the fridge.

...you get one month worth of Mitozen suppositories for less than $3 instead of $180. That's simple.
Thank you for the instruction. That will be helpful. Currently, I supplement with 100 mg orally, and I do feel pretty sleepy throughout the day. The suppository method is intriguing, and there may actually be fewer side effects, as you suggest.

Hermes

Have you noticed any particular good effects from supplementing melatonin? Like better hair or long-term memory?

Yucca

Deeper sleep, better recovery, and vivid dreams. Seems also to help bowel movement and accelerated fatloss in the middle section (but I think it’s more from the niacin I take with). But I take high doses only for about 2 months, and suppositories for less than a month. Nothing to note with memory (but preg helped me before) and hair.

ursidae

If I take a high dose I get headaches from melatonin. My sleep is not the best, I'm easily awoken by noise.

Jon2547

Melatonin use has been on the rise since the late 90s, when cell towers started going up.

Mauritio

Very interesting review on the pro-testosterone and anti-estrogen effect of melatonin on the testicles.

I'll try to dissolve melatonin and then apply it topically to the genitals ,to minimize systemic absorption and effects and maximize local androgenic effects.

(Melatonin Regulates the Synthesis of Steroid Hormones on Male Reproduction: A Review)

On solubility:

"Melatonin is sparingly soluble in aqueous buffers. For maximum solubility in aqueous buffers, melatonin should first be dissolved in ethanol and then diluted with the aqueous buffer of choice. Melatonin has a solubility of approximately0. 5 mg/ml in a 1:1 solution of DMSO:PBS (pH 7.2) using this method."

"Soluble in water (0.1 mg/ml), ethanol (8 mg/ml), benzene, chloroform, methanol, DMSO (50 mM), toluene, and dilute aqueous acid, and very slightly soluble in petroleum ether."

Last edited:

highriderrr

Very interesting review on the pro-testosterone and anti-estrogen effect of melatonin on the testicles.

I'll try to dissolve melatonin and then apply it topically to the genitals ,to minimize systemic absorption and effects and maximize local androgenic effects.

(Melatonin Regulates the Synthesis of Steroid Hormones on Male Reproduction: A Review)

On solubility:

"Melatonin is sparingly soluble in aqueous buffers. For maximum solubility in aqueous buffers, melatonin should first be dissolved in ethanol and then diluted with the aqueous buffer of choice. Melatonin has a solubility of approximately0. 5 mg/ml in a 1:1 solution of DMSO:PBS (pH 7.2) using this method."

"Soluble in water (0.1 mg/ml), ethanol (8 mg/ml), benzene, chloroform, methanol, DMSO (50 mM), toluene, and dilute aqueous acid, and very slightly soluble in petroleum ether.
Did you have any updates?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals