Melatonin Reduces Estrogens Through Multiple Pathways

T

TheBeard

At the receptor
JBC : Journal of Biological Chemistry

Melatonin reduces LH, 17 beta-estradiol and induces differential regulation of sex steroid receptors in reproductive tissues during rat ovulation

By reducing aromatase
Inhibitory effects of pharmacological doses of melatonin on aromatase activity and expression in rat glioma cells

After a two days trial of taking 10mg/night melatonin, I woke up with a sharp pain in my left knee, the same exact pain I used to have when taking Exemestane.
My emotions were also a bit blunted, and I was short tempered just like on Exemestane.

Granted there are more explanations at play with Melatonin that could be explaining the phenomenons, but I found it surprising nonetheless.

baccheion

Why stop at 10? What about 300 mg rather than 300 mcg? 500-800 mg. See: Jeff Bowles (also saw progesterone go up on labs after megadose amounts).

Balance with vitamin D3 (or other cortisol enhancer or cortisol-like supplement) in the AM. And DHEA. And pregnenolone.

Pointless

There's a lot of really amazing research on melatonin... For nocturnal creatures like rats. As a human, you're basically putting your body into a low metabolic state, which is why Peat recommends against melatonin. It's better to use red light and thyroid to improve sleep and hormone function.

meatbag

There's a lot of really amazing research on melatonin... For nocturnal creatures like rats. As a human, you're basically putting your body into a low metabolic state, which is why Peat recommends against melatonin. It's better to use red light and thyroid to improve sleep and hormone function.
I think he might have said 1mg could be helpful sometimes, I'll try to find the quote. We need to restart those transcriptions haha :/

OP
T

TheBeard

I haven't noticed anything detrimental in the metabolic department.
My temps are just as high, my extremities are always warm, I wake up very refreshed, a lot more than usual.
My mind is sharper, my mood maybe a bit crankier

OP
T

TheBeard

Why stop at 10? What about 300 mg rather than 300 mcg? 500-800 mg. See: Jeff Bowles (also saw progesterone go up on labs after megadose amounts).

Balance with vitamin D3 (or other cortisol enhancer or cortisol-like supplement) in the AM. And DHEA. And pregnenolone.

How much are you taking?

baccheion

It slows metabolism during sleep. Isn't metabolism/thyroid always suppressed during sleep (via the same means)? Are you implying iodine/iodide be taken before bed? Cortisol in the AM unrolls the melatonin sludge. I assume vitamin D3 has a similar effect.

How much are you taking?
Will soon start the amount listed.

milkboi

It slows metabolism during sleep. Isn't metabolism/thyroid always suppressed during sleep (via the same means)? Are you implying iodine/iodide be taken before bed? Cortisol in the AM unrolls the melatonin sludge. I assume vitamin D3 has a similar effect.

Will soon start the amount listed.

So does Cortisol directly lead to melatonin degradation, or is it just opposite in effects?

This relationship would explain why taking Cypro with Melatonin makes me feel extra groggy the next day: No cortisol to wake you up in the morning plus extra melatonin floating around.

baccheion

So does Cortisol directly lead to melatonin degradation, or is it just opposite in effects?

This relationship would explain why taking Cypro with Melatonin makes me feel extra groggy the next day: No cortisol to wake you up in the morning plus extra melatonin floating around.
Try taking vitamin D in the AM, then share your experience.

Cortisol blocks melatonin release. Melatonin opposes/lowers cortisol. Unsure if cortisol outright clears melatonin. Either way, grogginess eventually goes away if taking melatonin by itself.

Grapelander

Peat noted the physiological amount of melatonin is less than 1 mg. It is in the picograms per milliliter of blood.
Perhaps try 0.5 mg or eat some tart cherries:
Naturally-occurring melatonin has been reported in foods including tart cherries to about 0.17–13.46 ng/g,bananas and grapes, rice and cereals, herbs, plums, olive oil, wine and beer. When birds ingest melatonin-rich plant feed, such as rice, the melatonin binds to melatonin receptors in their brains. When humans consume foods rich in melatonin, such as banana, pineapple, and orange, the blood levels of melatonin increase significantly.

milkboi

Peat noted the physiological amount of melatonin is less than 1 mg. It is in the picograms per milliliter of blood.
Naturally-occurring melatonin has been reported in foods including tart cherries to about 0.17–13.46 ng/g,bananas and grapes, rice and cereals, herbs, plums, olive oil, wine and beer. When birds ingest melatonin-rich plant feed, such as rice, the melatonin binds to melatonin receptors in their brains. When humans consume foods rich in melatonin, such as banana, pineapple, and orange, the blood levels of melatonin increase significantly.

Yup, that’s what I take: 300-500 mcg, and it’s very effective for inducing sleep

Last edited:
OP
T

TheBeard

There's a difference between serum levels and the amount needed to achieve said serum levels.

Anyways the discussion wasn't about how much one "needs", it is about the pharmacodynamics at play that could explain the estrogen reduction

baccheion

Best approach if not trying to megadose is to keep serum at level of a 25 year old (unless younger). Some, like myself, clear melatonin faster. Can adjust dose based on labs.

OP
T

TheBeard

Best approach if not trying to megadose is to keep serum at level of a 25 year old (unless younger). Some, like myself, clear melatonin faster. Can adjust dose based on labs.

See above

Hgreen56

no clue what ray thinks about melatonin but there are studys thats shows some positive and negative results from taking melatonin.

- The researcher's study has made some of the mechanism clearer. Melatonin reduced the secretion of somatostatin, the hormone that inhibits the production of growth hormone.
Dash of melatonin boosts post-training growth hormone

-less positive: The concentration of estradiol in the blood also declined in the men whose sperm quality had deteriorated
Melatonin reduces estradiol level

- melatonin is also an antioxidant and can protect genetic material from damage
- The researchers noticed that, in the mitochrondria of the mice that had not had melatonin, the production of endogenous antioxidants declined increasingly as the animals aged.
The researchers also found more oxidised fats in the membranes of the mitochondria in the older mice. Melatonin inhibited this increase. The concentration of the free radical NO also increased as the mice aged – and once again melatonin inhibited this increase.
-"Melatonin showed marked beneficial effects against brain mitochondrial dysfunction with age", the Spaniards conclude in their article. "These effects, and the fact that melatonin virtually lacks toxicity even at large doses, supports its clinical use in preventing the impairments of aging."
Melatonin keeps brain cells young

-melatonin makes men more masculine, and protects women against cancer
Sleep better - do strength training

Aegon24

I think that's why I react very badly to vitamin D. It is because vitamin D increases the synthesis of melatonin.
The only advantage is that I sleep very early at night,but my metabolism is slowed down.

In fact, anything that decreases lipid peroxidation will eliminate estrogen.

OP
T

TheBeard

Supplemental vitamin D always made me feel way off.

I don't see why I would supplement with either D or K when I can:

Eat raw cheese
Drink raw milk
Get at least 30 min sun exposure at some point during the day even though I live in a northern region

Aegon24

Supplemental vitamin D always made me feel way off.

I don't see why I would supplement with either D or K when I can:

Eat raw cheese
Drink raw milk
Get at least 30 min sun exposure at some point during the day even though I live in a northern region

The vitamin D was also good for me.
At that time my cortisol/adrenaline was extremely high after taking mucuna pruriens.

The vitamin D was making me euphoric.
My problem now is that I have abused postology.
I have low cortisol/adrenaline and high serotonin/melatonin.

Vitamin K and magnesium are bull****. It won't help with the side effects of vitamin D.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom