• Due to excessive bot signups along with nefarious actors we are limiting forum registration. Keep checking back for the register link to appear. Please do not send emails or have someone post to the forum asking for a signup link. Until the current climate changes we do not see a change of this policy. To join the forum you must have a compelling reason. Letting us know what skills/knowledge you will bring to the community along with the intent of your stay here will help in getting you approved.

Melatonin: Noooooooooooooooooo!

narouz

Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2012
Messages
4,429
“Many health food stores are now selling melatonin, to induce sleep and “prevent cancer.” They have taken some information out of context, and don’t realize how dangerous melatonin is. It makes the brain sluggish, causes the sex organs to shrink, and damages immunity by shrinking the thymus gland. It is the hormone of darkness and winter, and is produced in the pineal gland by any stress which increases adrenalin. Adequate sun light suppresses the formation of melatonin.” -Ray Peat, PhD

http://www.functionalps.com/blog/2011/09/30/light-is-right/
 

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
Joined
Jan 4, 2012
Messages
12,295
Location
USA
Wow! :yipes

Glad I never took any of that stuff.
 

narouz

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 22, 2012
Messages
4,429
Charlie said:
Wow! :yipes
Glad I never took any of that stuff.

Yes, and furthermore, here's what happens to very naughty boys and girls:

The popular supplements melatonin, tryptophan, fish oils, St. John's wort, and the various omega -3 oils, all increase the risk of retinal light damage and macular degeneration. Serotonin uptake inhibiting antidepressants are suspected to be able to cause it.

Processes similar to those that damage the over-sensitized retina can occur in other cells, as a result of stress. The substances that sensitize the retina to light-damage, can also increase the incidence of new or metastatic cancers.
--Dr. Ray Peat
in Aging Eyes, Infant Eyes, and Excitable Tissues
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/aging-eyes.shtml
 

bradley

Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
219
In an interview (can't remember which), Peat said that 1mg or under is not toxic. I take .25mg occasionally to help with sleep. If i take more than 1mg i get pretty bad side effect though.
 

nwo2012

Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2012
Messages
1,107
I have to stick my hand up and say that I have used it in the past. Probably around 200 x 3mg tabs in total. Can thank Mercola for that recommendation. Was using it after nightshifts to help get to sleep. Hopefully no damage done (none that I have noticed so far). Funnily enough, once the RP 'diet' was utilized, and with a tiny crumb of Cynoplus (about 1/10th=3mcgT3/12mcgT4), I am out like a light!
 

bradley

Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
219
nwo2012 said:
I have to stick my hand up and say that I have used it in the past. Probably around 200 x 3mg tabs in total. Can thank Mercola for that recommendation. Was using it after nightshifts to help get to sleep. Hopefully no damage done (none that I have noticed so far). Funnily enough, once the RP 'diet' was utilized, and with a tiny crumb of Cynoplus (about 1/10th=3mcgT3/12mcgT4), I am out like a light!

do you take the cynoplus at night?
 

nwo2012

Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2012
Messages
1,107
bradley said:
nwo2012 said:
I have to stick my hand up and say that I have used it in the past. Probably around 200 x 3mg tabs in total. Can thank Mercola for that recommendation. Was using it after nightshifts to help get to sleep. Hopefully no damage done (none that I have noticed so far). Funnily enough, once the RP 'diet' was utilized, and with a tiny crumb of Cynoplus (about 1/10th=3mcgT3/12mcgT4), I am out like a light!

do you take the cynoplus at night?

Sorry for late reply. Yes probably 1/10th of one right before bed sublingualy. Helps me get to sleep and stay asleep for 5 hours (record for me, before RP way of life it was 3 at a time).
 

milk_lover

Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2015
Messages
1,826
Ray Peat said:
Adequate sun light suppresses the formation of melatonin.
@haidut this is probably another benefit of sunlight. Also I remember Peat saying/writing that sunlight decreases prolactin. I found a study on reddit that claims increased melatonin signaling is a risk factor for type 2 diabetes (http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/pdf/S1550-4131(16)30160-7.pdf), so sunlight could reduce the risks of type 2 diabetes.
 

burtlancast

Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2013
Messages
3,033
Adequate sun light suppresses the formation of melatonin.” -Ray Peat, PhD

And prevents sleep onset.

People with delayed sleep phase syndrome have their melatonin chronically suppressed at evening from artificial light (more specifically the blue part of the spectrum).

Wearing amber teinted glasses prevents blue light from supressing melatonin secretion, which can then induce sleep at the correct time.

Two sides of each coin, let's not forget.
 
Joined
May 21, 2015
Messages
679
Location
Finland
I have always loved to go to sleep with the lights on. I fall asleep faster that way.
In the summer i love to stay up till the sun rises and go to sleep with the curtains opened.
 

nomoreketones

Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2016
Messages
874
I think melatonin also increases prolactin substantially, no?

***t. I need to get off this stuff.

 

Similar threads

Top