Melatonin in Cherries

Green Dot

Is that something one should look out for knowing the damaging effects of melatonin?

Cherries are one of Ray Peat's favorite fruits.

"Some of Peat's favored fruits: Orange, cherimoya, longan, lychee, grapes, pawpaw, sapote, plums, prunes, tangerines, dates, cherries, well ripened watermelons, and apple sauce." -Danny Roddy

OP
Green Dot

Green Dot

Cherries are one of Ray Peat's favorite fruits.

"Some of Peat's favored fruits: Orange, cherimoya, longan, lychee, grapes, pawpaw, sapote, plums, prunes, tangerines, dates, cherries, well ripened watermelons, and apple sauce." -Danny Roddy
Oh ok, that's reassuring. I assume melatonin problems only occur in very large amounts?

Oh ok, that's reassuring. I assume melatonin problems only occur in very large amounts?
You know I am not familiar with melatonin. I imagine just looking at the beautiful color that cherries have that whatever melatonin is in them must be wiorth eating them. I want some now!

L

Lord Cola

In my experience, it's not noticeable in small amounts, but if you eat enough cherries to sate your sugar appetite for one meal, for example, you might feel a little down.

Michael Mohn

Melatonin is only in tard/sour cherries, not in normal sweet cherries. Drinking tard cherry juice at bedtime can help falling asleep. A little bit of melatonin is not harmful according to Peat.

Well
Melatonin is only in tard/sour cherries, not in normal sweet cherries. Drinking tard cherry juice at bedtime can help falling asleep. A little bit of melatonin is not harmful according to Peat.
That is interesting! Are tart cherries unripe cherries?

StephanF

Forum Supporter
Just to add: Yesterday afternoon I felt tired and couldn’t stop yawning. I drank lots of water since lack of water usually makes me tired. I wondered what made me so tired but then I realized that I ate some pasta with ground turkey.: tryptophan!!

No, aren’t unripe. When I have trouble getting to sleep I eat a glass of those - ?
I love the taste. Not really sweet though but aromatic
I use to by the tart cherry juice for sleep, but I could not drink it without adding sugar and it gave me headaches.

Prota

Me: What do you think about sour (tart) cherries?
Ray: I think any cherries are safe and nutritious, though it’s good to investigate whether toxic pesticides have been used on them.

rei

I believe Ray is wrong about melatonin. God put melatonin in almost every food ever examined. The content in cherries is low.
While serotonin drives an active adaptation state, melationin seems to be driving passive adaptation. In this sense RP's reasoning of it being derivative of serotonin and thus bad is not completely founded. It can be good for someone in a stressed state, but if your system is functioning normally it pretty certainly degrades your performance.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals