Melatonin Elevates Brain Serotonin

T

TheBeard

It's similar for me, although I haven't noticed the positive effects on brain function you described. I'm taking around 300-500 mcg. What about you?

Anywhere between 5mg and 25mg, it's bulk powder so I eyeball it.
But the effects were the same when I was taking 500mcg pills, so I might as well get the antioxydant benefits of high doses for the same side effects

T

TheBeard

It's similar for me, although I haven't noticed the positive effects on brain function you described. I'm taking around 300-500 mcg. What about you?

So do you keep taking it, or is it not worth it?

Mossy

I was searching online for Peat's in-depth perspective on melatonin, where he compares it to the same effect that winter has on the body, and I ironically stumbled upon a KMUD interview of him saying that melatonin "probably has a fairly direct anti-serotonin effect...".

There must be more to the story, but thought it worth posting:

View: https://youtu.be/Rp4ZLLfBSxA?t=2060

Ian Lenny

I was searching online for Peat's in-depth perspective on melatonin, where he compares it to the same effect that winter has on the body, and I ironically stumbled upon a KMUD interview of him saying that melatonin "probably has a fairly direct anti-serotonin effect...".

There must be more to the story, but thought it worth posting:

View: https://youtu.be/Rp4ZLLfBSxA?t=2060

@haidut this seems to be in opposition to much of what's been posted about Ray's views on Melatonin in this forum. I'm wondering if you might be able to explain some of Ray's reasoning in this short clip in a a way the rectifies these seeming contradictions so we can figure out how melatonin fits into our "bioenergetic" view of physiology.

joaquin

I gotta get off the melatonin. Any recommendations on how? Other than just not taking it?

steel_reserve

I'm more interested in knocking my sleep inertia down. I can fall asleep pretty well but I've always had huge sleep overhang problems.

What's the light and melatonin connection to that? Is melatonin connected to the deep sleep episodes or the REM episodes? The REM episodes have a pseudo-consciousness facet and a paralysis part. When you wake up, is it the melatonin from the paralysis part of the REM that lapses into wakefulness?

Lots of people use wake up lights that go on 30 mins before you wake up. Are these any good?

If this is right about red light knocking melatonin down, when's the right time to use it? I bought a red light and I'll be using it in the evening, but now I'm thinking I could attach it to a timer and use it for a wake up light.
Methylene blue or pepsid are the only drugs I've found that kill my morning grog.

Explorer

I think Melatonin is the mixed type supplement as despite not being Peaty fully it has some mechanisms that can be protective and regenerative

joaquin

I didn't take it last night to sleep. We'll see how it goes over the next few days.

moa

have you tried 50mg B5 for sleep ? it raises acetylcholine, very important for deep sleep. without causing low histamine symptoms or serotonin.

Candeias

Yesterday I took 300mcg of melatonin, along with Magnoil and methylcobalamin, depression seems to have returned today, could it be that small amount of melatonin?
I don't remember feeling this way with methylcobalamin but Magnoil may exacerbate the "down" effects of melatonin perhaps

Santosh

Yesterday I took 300mcg of melatonin, along with Magnoil and methylcobalamin, depression seems to have returned today, could it be that small amount of melatonin?
I don't remember feeling this way with methylcobalamin but Magnoil may exacerbate the "down" effects of melatonin perhaps

Yep it's definitely the melatonin.

Methyl B12 can have too much of an excitatory effect, but definitely not a depressing one.
Better off taking straight B12, any methyl B vitamin can cause issue by acting too directly without the need for liver conversion into the active form.

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
Yes, it does. The human studies I have seen found that insomnia is the primary side effect from extended red light therapy. I would not do it at night after 7pm if it is just red light. Ray said pure red light gives him headaches when used at night, so he uses incandescent instead. I agree that if it is late night and you want to sleep, it's better to use incandescent. I don't get insomnia from regular bulbs but I do get it from the red bulbs.
Haidut,
Do you have a link for those studies?

macheddy

so frustrating to be constantly told the wonders of high dose melatonin supp and then having nighmares, interrupted sleep, and wierd nervous system issues as you keep trying to "optimize sleep"

Mauritio

If it was serotonergic it wouldnt help with IBS.

"...a significant improvement was observed in IBS score and GI symptoms, including the severity and the frequency of abdominal pain, the severity of abdominal bloating, satisfaction with bowel habits, disease's impact on patient's life, and stool consistency;..."

- The effect of melatonin on irritable bowel syndrome patients with and without sleep disorders: a randomized double-blinded placebo-controlled trial study - PubMed

It might be because it changes the microbriome and has something like an endotoxin-antaogonist effect.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals