Melatonin and the Optics of the Human Body

David PS

I have read some very good things about melatonin and some not so good things. It is hard to reconcile the different points of view for this ubiquitous hormone.
homepageImage_en_US.jpg

The hypothesis of this paper helps. Melatonin is not just the hormone of sleep.
Melatonin and the Optics of the Human Body
Melatonin is fundamental to the lighting, display, and architectural industries as the primary biomarker used in circadian theory. Billions of dollars are being spent on research, product development, and marketing based on the impact of visible light on melatonin produced by the pineal gland. It has now been shown that the mitochondria produce melatonin in many cells in quantities which are orders of magnitude higher than that produced in the pineal gland. This subcellular melatonin does not necessarily fluctuate with our circadian clock or release into the circulation system, but instead has been proposed to be consumed locally in response to the free radical density within each cell, in particular in response to Near Infrared (NIR) exposure.

The main point of this review hypothesizes that the subcellular melatonin is being produced in response to the NIR photons which make up the majority of natural sunlight. Given the number of cells and quantity of subcellular melatonin identified to date, it is reasonable to propose that the body produces and maintains a melatonin reservoir that is separate and apart from the circulatory melatonin generated by the pineal gland. To understand how sunlight may support or stimulate this antioxidant reservoir, it becomes necessary to quantify the free radical density in various parts of the human body. To do this, it is necessary to move away from two-dimensional empirical approaches and develop three-dimensional bio-optical models based on the underlying biological processes at play. Three-dimensional Mechanistic Bio-optical Models (MBM) of the skin, eye, and brain based on non-sequential optical ray tracing and Electron Spin Resonance (ESR) data clearly indicate that the NIR portion of natural sunlight provides the primary stimulus during the day to the majority of the cells in the human body, impacting over 60% of the cells in an adult body and 100% of the cells in the fetus and young children.

It is also shown that optically, the human body, under the assumption of natural sunlight, has developed optical mechanisms to gather and localize NIR photons in the most sensitive areas of the human body:blood vessels, retina, brain, skin, and even the fetus. That assumption is no longer valid in modern societies where the majority of our time is spent exposed to visible only lighting and displays, which emit zero NIR photons. Based on an optical and biological review of the literature and the MBM results, it is proposed that the NIR portion of natural sunlight stimulates an excess of antioxidants in each of our healthy cells and that the cumulative effect of this antioxidant reservoir is to enhance the body’s ability to rapidly and locally deal with changing conditions throughout the day. In this approach the role of circulatory melatonin produced by the pineal gland is to provide an efficient method of delivering supplemental melatonin during periods of low cellular activity and solar stimulus to damaged or aging cells in both diurnal and nocturnal animals. While circulatory melatonin may be the “Hormone of Darkness”, subcellular melatonin may be the “Hormone of Daylight”.
1669834690883.png
1669834795041.png
1669834961376.png

I don’t know, I have heard a lot of bad too taking melatonin….

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thank you @David PS! I sleep phenomenally after a day outdoors in natural light. I do believe in modern times we are deprived of natural light, inundated with artificial light and that has negative consequences on our natural melatonin secretion. Blue blockers help some but not like being outdoors and avoiding screens ect.

PeskyPeater

I use a led panel with 670nm to get the extra NIR as my LED lights in my room dont have any NIR and [daylight LED with NIR ] are expensive to install everywhere.

[edit]

Last edited:

PeskyPeater

It is good to shine NIR on your skin after sundown to support the metabolism of melatonin and its natural anti-oxidant function as an electron donor better than vitamin C and E.
But is not good taken as a suppliment as it can have pro-oxidant effects.

Antioxidant and Pro-Oxidant Activities of Melatonin in the Presence of Copper and Polyphenols In Vitro and In Vivo

-edit- and I suspect adding exogenous metalonin may spare serotonin or tryptophan, as those are its precursors. Bad stuff may happen

Last edited:
OP
David PS

David PS

I don’t know, I have heard a lot of bad too taking melatonin….

Agreed.
The-dose-makes-the-poison-934483.jpg

The overdose makes the poison. Here, the article is not suggesting taking any oral melatonin.

OP
David PS

David PS

Thank you @David PS! I sleep phenomenally after a day outdoors in natural light. I do believe in modern times we are deprived of natural light, inundated with artificial light and that has negative consequences on our natural melatonin secretion. Blue blockers help some but not like being outdoors and avoiding screens ect.
Agreed with being outdoors in the natural light. The rub here is that the walk that I took this morning is the same walk that I take in the summer time. However, I live in an area that experiences the 4 seasons and my exposure to natural light is much less than it is in the summer time when I am wearing a t-shirt and shorts. Therefore, I have decided that it is prudent to use lights to increase my NIR exposure to a level mimicing what I would get during the summer months.

OP
David PS

David PS

I use a led panel with 670nm to get the extra NIR as my LED lights in my room dont have any NIR and [daylight LED with NIR ] are expensive to install everywhere.

[edit]
This is exactly what I am doing. I do not see any difference but then again I do not see x-rays either. I do not trust the science, I try to follow the data.

OP
David PS

David PS

It is good to shine NIR on your skin after sundown to support the metabolism of melatonin and its natural anti-oxidant function as an electron donor better than vitamin C and E.
But is not good taken as a suppliment as it can have pro-oxidant effects.

Antioxidant and Pro-Oxidant Activities of Melatonin in the Presence of Copper and Polyphenols In Vitro and In Vivo

-edit- and I suspect adding exogenous metalonin may spare serotonin or tryptophan, as those are its precursors. Bad stuff may happen
It seems that NIR produces a very localized increase in celluar melatonin. I shine NIR light on areas of concern. I typically use NIR light in the morning when I would normally get it from a morning walk. The cloths that I wear to keep warm during my morning walks greatly reduce the amount the amount of NIR that I get from being outside.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Agreed with being outdoors in the natural light. The rub here is that the walk that I took this morning is the same walk that I take in the summer time. However, I live in an area that experiences the 4 seasons and my exposure to natural light is much less than it is in the summer time when I am wearing a t-shirt and shorts. Therefore, I have decided that it is prudent to use lights to increase my NIR exposure to a level mimicing what I would get during the summer months.
Sounds like a good plan. I’m going to start back on my LGS light panel tonight. :)

GTW

Paracelsus principles of toxicology would be summarized:
Dose, host, timing and combinations make a poison or a cure.

OP
David PS

David PS

Will using a panel of NIR lights cause harm?
1670422372118.png

OP
David PS

David PS

OP
David PS

David PS

Ocular Input for Human Melatonin Regulation: Relevance to Breast Cancer
Abstract The impact of breast cancer on women across the world has been extensive and severe. As prevalence of breast cancer is greatest in industrialized regions, exposure to light at night has been proposed as a potential risk factor. This theory is supported by the epidemiological observations of decreased breast cancer in blind women and increased breast cancer in women who do shift-work. In addition, human, animal and in vitro studies which have investigated the melatonin-cancer dynamic indicate an apparent relationship between light, melatonin and cancer, albeit complex. Recent developments in understanding melatonin regulation by light in humans are examined, with particular attention to factors that contribute to the sensitivity of the light-induced melatonin suppression response. Specifically, the role of spectral characteristics of light is addressed, and recent relevant action spectrum studies in humans and other mammalian species are discussed. Across five action spectra for circadian and other non-visual responses, a peak sensitivity between 446–484 nm was identified. Under highly controlled exposure circumstances, less than 1 lux of monochromatic light elicited a significant suppression of nocturnal melatonin. In view of the possible link between light exposure, melatonin suppression and cancer risk, it is important to continue to identify the basic related ocular physiology. Visual performance, rather than circadian function, has been the primary focus of architectural lighting systems. It is now necessary to reevaluate lighting strategies, with consideration of circadian influences, in an effort to maximize physiological homeostasis and health.

“Rheumatoid arthritis and asthma are two inflammatory conditions that are notoriously worse during the night. Melatonin has been reported to be higher in patients with severe asthma and rheumatoid arthritis, and to promote the secretion of a variety of other pro-inflammatory substances.” -Ray Peat

“The use of bright light (which suppresses melatonin) to treat depression probably helps to inhibit the production of aldosterone, which is strongly associated with depression.” -Ray Peat

Speaking of optics….

“Degeneration of the retina is the main cause of blindness in old people. Retinal injury is caused by ordinary light, when the eyes are sensitized by melatonin, prolactin, and polyunsaturated fats. Bright light isn't harmful to the retina, even when it is continuous, if the retina isn't sensitized.” -Ray Peat

“Melatonin and prolactin are induced by stress, and darkness is a stress because it impairs mitochondrial energy production.” -Ray Peat

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals