MelaNon - Liquid Apigenin/Naringenin Mix

haidut

Forum Supporter
Ray has written about several natural compounds that may be helpful for supporting optimal skin health in areas that have moles, spots, blemishes, etc. The natural compounds naringenin and apigenin are the ones most extensively researched for that purpose, but caffeine is also a very beneficial one and already used as part of the SolBan supplement. In addition to supporting skin health, caffeine also helps increase the absorption of both naringenin and apigenin, and that is another reason for its presence in MelaNon.
The topical doses used in most studies correspond to about 2mg for a human and that applies for both naringenin and apigenin.

Note: This product contains raw material(s) meant for external use only, in cosmetic or other formulations designed for such external use.

MelaNon is dietary supplement for skin health. It contains the citrus flavonoid naringenin as well as the flavone apigenin most commonly found in chamomile. MelaNon also contains caffeine for improved estrogen control and skin health. All of the ingredients have been extensively studies for health purposes, but most of the research on naringenin / apigenin focuses on their anti-neoplastic effects, and especially their effects on skin formations such as moles of various types. This product, while consisting entirely of food-grade ingredients, is sanctioned for external use only.

Servings per container: about 30
Serving size: 8 drops
Each serving (8 drops) contains the following ingredients:

Apigenin - 3mg
Naringenin - 3mg

Other ingredients: add product to shopping cart to see info
References:
http://www.functionalps.com/blog/2013/1 ... aringenin/
"...Orange juice contains naringenin which is effective against melanoma, and guavas contain apigenin, also effective. A diet consisting of milk, orange juice, guavas, cheese, and some eggs, liver, and oysters, with aspirin would be protective against the spread of the tumor.”

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/th ... trix.shtml
"...Substances that inhibit inflammation are likely to also inhibit excessive collagen synthesis, serotonin secretion, and the formation of estrogen. Besides aspirin, some effective substances are apigenin and naringenin, found in oranges and guavas. These flavonoids also inhibit the formation of nitric oxide and prostaglandins, which are important for inflammation and carcinogenesis (Liang, et al., 1999). Increased CO2, which has a variety of anti-inflammatory effects, can decrease collagen formation and tissue collagen content significantly (Ryu, et al., 2010)."

Photoprotective and Antigenotoxic Effects of the Flavonoids Apigenin, Naringenin and Pinocembrin. - PubMed - NCBI

Naringenin:
Citrus flavanone naringenin enhances melanogenesis through the activation of Wnt/β-catenin signalling in mouse melanoma cells. - PubMed - NCBI
Hydrolysates of citrus plants stimulate melanogenesis protecting against UV-induced dermal damage. - PubMed - NCBI
Enhancement of transglutaminase activity and polyamine depletion in B16-F10 melanoma cells by flavonoids naringenin and hesperitin correlate to red... - PubMed - NCBI
In vitro cytotoxic activity of extracts and isolated constituents of Salvia leriifolia Benth. against a panel of human cancer cell lines. - PubMed - NCBI
Stimulation of melanogenesis by the citrus flavonoid naringenin in mouse B16 melanoma cells. - PubMed - NCBI
Update on uses and properties of citrus flavonoids: new findings in anticancer, cardiovascular, and anti-inflammatory activity. - PubMed - NCBI
Naringenin Inhibits UVB Irradiation-Induced Inflammation and Oxidative Stress in the Skin of Hairless Mice. - PubMed - NCBI
Chemopreventive and therapeutic potential of "naringenin," a flavanone present in citrus fruits. - PubMed - NCBI
Induction of apoptosis and antiproliferative activity of naringenin in human epidermoid carcinoma cell through ROS generation and cell cycle arrest. - PubMed - NCBI
Myricetin and naringenin inhibit human squamous cell carcinoma proliferation and migration in vitro. - PubMed - NCBI
Tumor growth attenuating effects of naringenin. - PubMed - NCBI
Inhibitory effect of GB-2a (I3-naringenin-II8-eriodictyol) on melanogenesis. - PubMed - NCBI
Preparation and Characterization of Naringenin-Loaded Elastic Liposomes for Topical Application. - PubMed - NCBI
The inhibitory effect of naringenin on atopic dermatitis induced by DNFB in NC/Nga mice. - PubMed - NCBI
Protective effects of fermented Citrus unshiu peel extract against ultraviolet-A-induced photoageing in human dermal fibrobolasts. - PubMed - NCBI
Naringenin protects HaCaT human keratinocytes against UVB-induced apoptosis and enhances the removal of cyclobutane pyrimidine dimers from the genome. - PubMed - NCBI
Inhibition of mammalian collagenase, matrix metalloproteinase-1, by naturally-occurring flavonoids. - PubMed - NCBI
Correlation of in vitro chemopreventive efficacy data from the human epidermal cell assay with animal efficacy data and clinical trial plasma levels. - PubMed - NCBI

Apigenin:
Apigenin: a promising molecule for cancer prevention. - PubMed - NCBI
Inhibitory effect of apigenin, a plant flavonoid, on epidermal ornithine decarboxylase and skin tumor promotion in mice. - PubMed - NCBI
Efficacy of PLGA-loaded apigenin nanoparticles in Benzo[a]pyrene and ultraviolet-B induced skin cancer of mice: mitochondria mediated apoptotic sig... - PubMed - NCBI
Inhibition of ultraviolet light induced skin carcinogenesis in SKH-1 mice by apigenin, a plant flavonoid. - PubMed - NCBI
Chemopreventive apigenin controls UVB-induced cutaneous proliferation and angiogenesis through HuR and thrombospondin-1. - PubMed - NCBI
Apigenin, a bioactive flavonoid from Lycopodium clavatum, stimulates nucleotide excision repair genes to protect skin keratinocytes from ultraviole... - PubMed - NCBI
Topical apigenin alleviates cutaneous inflammation in murine models. - PubMed - NCBI
Apigenin reactivates Nrf2 anti-oxidative stress signaling in mouse skin epidermal JB6 P + cells through epigenetics modifications. - PubMed - NCBI
Induction of melanogenesis by 4'-O-methylated flavonoids in B16F10 melanoma cells. - PubMed - NCBI
Src kinase is a direct target of apigenin against UVB-induced skin inflammation. - PubMed - NCBI
Production and characterization of antioxidant apigenin nanocrystals as a novel UV skin protective formulation. - PubMed - NCBI
Topical apigenin improves epidermal permeability barrier homoeostasis in normal murine skin by divergent mechanisms. - PubMed - NCBI
The chemopreventive flavonoid apigenin induces G2/M arrest in keratinocytes. - PubMed - NCBI
Increase in wild-type p53 stability and transactivational activity by the chemopreventive agent apigenin in keratinocytes. - PubMed - NCBI
Inhibition of TPA-induced cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) expression by apigenin through downregulation of Akt signal transduction in human keratinocytes. - PubMed - NCBI
Apigenin inhibition of involucrin gene expression is associated with a specific reduction in phosphorylation of protein kinase Cdelta Tyr311. - PubMed - NCBI
Apigenin prevents UVB-induced cyclooxygenase 2 expression: coupled mRNA stabilization and translational inhibition. - PubMed - NCBI
Enhancement of UVB-induced apoptosis by apigenin in human keratinocytes and organotypic keratinocyte cultures. - PubMed - NCBI
Dietary apigenin attenuates the development of atopic dermatitis-like skin lesions in NC/Nga mice. - PubMed - NCBI
Activation of p38 MAPK pathway contributes to the melanogenic property of apigenin in B16 cells. - PubMed - NCBI
Treatment of dermatophytosis by a new antifungal agent 'apigenin'. - PubMed - NCBI
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26278529
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26150153
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24077511
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8899846
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8956339

Caffeine:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC129466/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25591953
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21505179
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3353410/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18179623
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17388926
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12570332
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12392153

Last edited:

hmac

Thanks for this Haidut!

Presumably this would be one to use directly on a mole rather than the 'tease the mole' technique with DHEA that Peat has spoken about?

A friend has psoriasis - might it be useful in combination with estroban?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
hmac said:
post 108811 Thanks for this Haidut!

Presumably this would be one to use directly on a mole rather than the 'tease the mole' technique with DHEA that Peat has spoken about?

A friend has psoriasis - might it be useful in combination with estroban?

Yes, this is intended for use directly on the mole as described in the individual studies. Since both naringenin and apigenin were found to be inhibitors of estrogen, nitric oxide (NO), 5-lipoxygenase (LOX) and COX and so on this supplement should synergize greatly with both EstroBan and SolBan.
Just my 2c.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan W

Glad this is out, Haidut, I'll try some and report back.

Along the lines of hmac's question, do you think it'd be beneficial to also surround the mole with Pansterone (or any other DHEA)?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Dan Wich said:
post 108829 Glad this is out, Haidut, I'll try some and report back.

Along the lines of hmac's question, do you think it'd be beneficial to also surround the mole with Pansterone (or any other DHEA)?

Probably yes, but I think mixing it with EstroBan and rubbing it directly on the mole may be more effective. Vitamin A and K are really good at controlling mole growth when applied directly. The Pansterone I would actually use orally as it has systemic effects as well. I had a mole fall off from 5mg oral DHEA taken for a week, while topically it was not very effective.

GAF

Ordered.

It is so fun and exciting to experiment with all the great ideas on this forum. Is there a Mad Scientist smilie?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
GAF said:
post 108832 Ordered.

It is so fun and exciting to experiment with all the great ideas on this forum. Is there a Mad Scientist smilie?

I guess the closest would be the "uber geek" even though it does not quite convey the same idea.

NathanK

Ha, I've been on the fence about naringenin for a while and wasn't 100% if Ray thought it was estrogenic or not (I was thinking that Ray said it was one of the compounds in grapefruit that he didn't like). Bulk supplements on Amazon sells them in caps. I remember reading that body builders took it to increase caffeine absorption. Ironically you say it's the other way around! I didn't know it was good for skin health either. Thanks again. I look forward to reading the studies.

Could this be good for small subcutaneous cysts?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
NathanK said:
post 108835 Ha, I've been on the fence about naringenin for a while and wasn't 100% if Ray thought it was estrogenic or not. Bulk supplements on Amazon sells them in caps. I remember reading that body builders took it to increase caffeine absorption. Ironically you say it's the other way around! I didn't know it was good for skin health either. Thanks again. I look forward to reading the studies.

Caffeine absorption is basically 100% no matter if you do oral or topical. Not sure if even DMSO can improve that absorption...
It's naringenin that can use some enhancement, especially in a topical form.

NathanK

haidut said:
post 108836
NathanK said:
post 108835 Ha, I've been on the fence about naringenin for a while and wasn't 100% if Ray thought it was estrogenic or not. Bulk supplements on Amazon sells them in caps. I remember reading that body builders took it to increase caffeine absorption. Ironically you say it's the other way around! I didn't know it was good for skin health either. Thanks again. I look forward to reading the studies.

Caffeine absorption is basically 100% no matter if you do oral or topical. Not sure if even DMSO can improve that absorption...
Whoops, looks like I edited my comment too slow. Could this be good for small subcutaneous cysts you think?

Nicholas

thank you, Haidut. do you think this product would have any benefit to broken capillaries or spider vein type issues? I've heard talk of the flavanoids having some benefit to these skin-related aging signs primarily via Linus Pauling. I'm interested in ordering for the already stated uses, too.

Peata

I've started using this product today. I'm taking before and after pictures and I'm using it on a variety of places. One is a scar where I scraped the skin off my knee when I fell on ice last winter. Another is a surgery scar. Also a red spot.

Finally, I want to try it all over my face to see if it helps with any discoloration or has a brightening effect. I used one drop and patted it all over.

Haidut, do you think it's fine to use it over such a large area and 2) is once or twice per day best?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
NathanK said:
post 108837
haidut said:
post 108836
NathanK said:

Whoops, looks like I edited my comment too slow. Could this be good for small subcutaneous cysts you think?

Caffeine has been shown to work on cysts, so maybe.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Nicholas said:
post 108839 thank you, Haidut. do you think this product would have any benefit to broken capillaries or spider vein type issues? I've heard talk of the flavanoids having some benefit to these skin-related aging signs primarily via Linus Pauling. I'm interested in ordering for the already stated uses, too.

All of the compounds in the product are anti-angiogenic, so quite possible. Spider veins are usually from too much estrogen so a systemic anti-estrogen like oral vitamin E or aspirin would probably be better. But the topical application probably won't hurt either.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
solaire_of_astora said:
post 108857 Would this product work for skin tags as well?

Not that I am aware of, but it is possible. Skin tags, just like spider veins, are sing of high estrogen. So, lowering estrogen systemically with oral vitamin E, aspirin, progesterone, caffeine, etc may be better for that purpose.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Peata said:
post 109582 I've started using this product today. I'm taking before and after pictures and I'm using it on a variety of places. One is a scar where I scraped the skin off my knee when I fell on ice last winter. Another is a surgery scar. Also a red spot.

Finally, I want to try it all over my face to see if it helps with any discoloration or has a brightening effect. I used one drop and patted it all over.

Haidut, do you think it's fine to use it over such a large area and 2) is once or twice per day best?

I think it is fine to use over large area but you may need higher dose. The studies showed that applying a human equivalent dose of 2mg to an area of 1/4 square inch was effective for moles. I don't know how much would be necessary for larger areas but it could be more than 2mg spread all over it.

Nicholas

haidut said:
post 109788
Nicholas said:
post 108839 thank you, Haidut. do you think this product would have any benefit to broken capillaries or spider vein type issues? I've heard talk of the flavanoids having some benefit to these skin-related aging signs primarily via Linus Pauling. I'm interested in ordering for the already stated uses, too.

All of the compounds in the product are anti-angiogenic, so quite possible. Spider veins are usually from too much estrogen so a systemic anti-estrogen like oral vitamin E or aspirin would probably be better. But the topical application probably won't hurt either.

cool, there are many pathways for estrogen to be elevated...if that's, as you say, even the cause. for example, i have found that they are diminishing by taking vitamin C recently.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Nicholas said:
post 109804
haidut said:
post 109788
Nicholas said:

cool, there are many pathways for estrogen to be elevated...if that's, as you say, even the cause. for example, i have found that they are diminishing by taking vitamin C recently.

Spider veins in particular are most likely caused by estrone (E1) and are related to poor liver function and detoxification of estrone. One example that there is no such thing as benign estrogen and the attempt to steer estrogen towards "benign" metabolites by taking things like I3C is at best misguided.

Nicholas

haidut said:
post 109811
Nicholas said:
post 109804
haidut said:
post 109788
Nicholas said:

Spider veins in particular are most likely caused by estrone (E1) and are related to poor liver function and detoxification of estrone. One example that there is no such thing as benign estrogen and the attempt to steer estrogen towards "benign" metabolites by taking things like I3C is at best misguided.

ok....i don't know what 13C is...
the point i was making is that, if estrogen detoxification is the cause, there are many pathways by which one can heal the problem. the answer to lowering estrogen is not always Vitamin E/Aspirin/caffeine/etc or you have a blanket liver issue. i could post a number of studies here showing how vitamin C interacts with the liver, but i also don't think vitamin C is the answer for everyone. In my case, it makes sense though....because i'm a smoker, and have therefore possibly been vitamin C deficient. for some reason it is diminishing the capillary issue. will use your product as well and let you know.