Megadosing minerals

Zachs

Has anyone experimented with taking large doses of minerals? I just decided to buy a couple bottles of ionic minerals, magnesium, selenium, zinc, boron, fulvic acid, trace minerals. I already get a huge amout of calcium, sodium and potassium from dairy, salt and fruit so i figured i would go with ones i have always been lacking.

I have always thought that i am mineral deficient (probably a little vitamin deficient too) and lately i have been reading more about how common mineral deficiancy is in people and in plants and soil. I figure we are probably getting less than half of what people were getting pre industrial revolution and certainly the land is lacking in many essential trace elements.

Anyway, this is only my second day supplementing and i have already felt a very pronounced increase in wellbeing and a sort of vibrating energy (between my temples and throughout my body). Its similar to what i first felt when switching to a fruit based diet. Im pretty immune to placebo effect since i have been researching and experimenting with diet/health stuff for a decade.

Anyway, id like to hear from anyone who has tried something like this or just positive experiences from any one mineral. I am going to continue to go slow with this and will share again in awhile.

Steffi

In desperation I decided to take a full teaspoon of salt NaCl. As expected I felt a little sick for half an hour - saltwater is a good emetic. But I felt a tremendous energy rush a little while after and have since noticed on several occasions that lots of salt do make me feel better. Being hypo and following the "salt is bad"dogma I must have been deficient for years.

Similar experience I have had with Espomsalt MgSO4. Half a teaspoon can produce a very noticeable bump in mental energy and physical well-feeling.

north

i recently got really god effect from zinc and i rarely get effects from any supplement...
Could you elaborate some more on the minerals you take, and how much?

OP
Zachs

Zachs

Steffi, one of the most positive changes i have made for health was adding salt back into my diet. My sodium intake is probably well above RDI, maybe 2-3x or more. I use a pretty pure sea salt as oppossed to canning salt because i find the flakes taste much better in things such as orange juice.

North, yea taking daily zinc and getting good results is what promted me to try this. If i lived by an ocean i would be all about seafood but i live in the north and i dont trust seafood that is shipped.

Right now i am experimenting with ionic minerals since they are liquid and dont contain any fillers. I take 1-2x RDI of salenium, mangesium and zinc. 3mg boron, a squirt of fulvic acid before meals and a dropper of trace minerals. All on top of the food i already eat and 5+g seasalt. I might supplement a bit of calcium to bump up my c/ph ratio since right now its sitting at close to 1:1.

Today i woke up noticably leaner, we will see if thats a trend or just a fluke. Im still experiencing a vibrational energy after doses.

aguilaroja

Zachs said:
Has anyone experimented with taking large doses of minerals? I just decided to buy a couple bottles of ionic minerals, magnesium, selenium, zinc, boron, fulvic acid, trace minerals. I already get a huge amout of calcium, sodium and potassium from dairy, salt a nd fruit so i figured i would go with ones i have always been lacking.

Please be careful. The window of safety for minerals is generally narrower than that for vitamins. "Mega" dosing is usually used to mean huge amounts, rather than,say, twice the "recommended" daily intake. For instance, Vitamin C has an RDA in the 90 mg range, but there are people taking 10,000 mg, for instance, for certain indications. It would be extremely unwise to take, say, 100 times the RDA for selenium or zinc routinely.

OP
Zachs

Zachs

Right, i might take 3x4 rda at most. Its not really megadosing like one would with some vitamins but its certainly a lot more than i have been getting.

Steffi

north: What form of zinc have you used? And what did you notice? Anyone else with recommendation of zinc supplement / which zincsalt to use and easy to get in bulk/free of other stuff?

I'm trying to increase my zinc, but haven't used supplements and don't like them.

I always wonder if I get a good amount of zinc from cans that are zinc-covered on the inside. Once open, they corrode at the level of the liquid and form a grey substance that can rub off. Those cans contain tropical fruits like pineapple, I haven't seen zinc covered cans filled in North America.

Brian

Zach, are you still supplementing these minerals? Any notable updates?

Aspekt

Steffi said:
In desperation I decided to take a full teaspoon of salt NaCl. As expected I felt a little sick for half an hour - saltwater is a good emetic. But I felt a tremendous energy rush a little while after and have since noticed on several occasions that lots of salt do make me feel better. Being hypo and following the "salt is bad"dogma I must have been deficient for years.

Similar experience I have had with Espomsalt MgSO4. Half a teaspoon can produce a very noticeable bump in mental energy and physical well-feeling.

I think with regards to salt being emetic, it's dependent on the concentration to the volume of food/liquid in the stomach. If you have a meal or a cup or two of liquid in there it shouldn't produce nausea.

On topic: I imagine Peat would say very large doses of zinc are not wise, given what caution he's advised on low doses and the potential for oxidation and irritating the gut lining, I think the safest and most effective thing would be topical magnesium, say 2 epsom salt baths in a day in addition to heavy oil use. I've put the equivalent of 3000mg magnesium chloride on my skin with oil at once and had no issues, not entirely sure how much of that would be absorbed though. It does bypass the issues that can happen by taking too much orally.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
^epsom salt spray works well too.

gretchen

I ate 3 cans of oysters a week the last month. I feel more energetic. But I'm wondering if it's having an effect on my skin. It's actually not beyond the upper limit (I don't think) per day; I think it's 40 mg per day and 3 cans is 200 something.

In any case, it can't hurt in the short term. I eat sugar regularly, so think it is good to get more minerals. I just read though that calcium supps have only like 100 mg in them. I take that too but notice no effects.

dd99

Zachs said:
Has anyone experimented with taking large doses of minerals? I just decided to buy a couple bottles of ionic minerals, magnesium, selenium, zinc, boron, fulvic acid, trace minerals. I already get a huge amout of calcium, sodium and potassium from dairy, salt and fruit so i figured i would go with ones i have always been lacking.

I have always thought that i am mineral deficient (probably a little vitamin deficient too) and lately i have been reading more about how common mineral deficiancy is in people and in plants and soil. I figure we are probably getting less than half of what people were getting pre industrial revolution and certainly the land is lacking in many essential trace elements.

Anyway, this is only my second day supplementing and i have already felt a very pronounced increase in wellbeing and a sort of vibrating energy (between my temples and throughout my body). Its similar to what i first felt when switching to a fruit based diet. Im pretty immune to placebo effect since i have been researching and experimenting with diet/health stuff for a decade.
Zachs, are you still using ionic minerals and fulvic acid?

OP
Zachs

Zachs

No, aside from the fact that they taste horrible, I didn't feel like the minerals worked half as good as some powder versions. The fukvic acid did nothing noticeable so I stopped.

OP
Zachs

Zachs

dd99 said:
Zachs said:

Zachs, are you still using ionic minerals and fulvic acid?

Reply above this post. Just quoted so you'd be notified. :)

Nstocks

Oysters give me that increased sense of wellbeing, so there probably is something in taking a large dose of minerals... I've just started on Zinc and like you mentioned, many are mineral deficient, especially if one has digestive issues or hypo.

dd99

The reason I asked zachs if he was still taking them is that I'm trying out fulvic acid, as recommended by gbolduev in the bicarbonate thread. I definitely felt more consistently energetic after a week or so, but was wondering about long term use. I also think I'll try a mineral supplement. My big concern with raising my metabolism is running short of nutrients. I mean, I supplement some Bs and ADKE most days, why not minerals?

OP
Zachs

Zachs

Zinc and magnesium would be the best place to start.

dd99

Sunflower1, it's hard to tell. Gbolduev said to expect flu like symptoms for the first two weeks, but I've just had lower morning and post-breakfast temps and have been feeling a bit less energetic than usual. It could be the relaxing holiday I'm on ::) I'll continue until the end of the month and reevaluate.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals