Mega Dosing Iodine = Bad, Destroys Thyroid Tissue Permanently

Nokoni

Yes, Boron is a very interesting mineral able to excrete fluoride from bones. But most studies use it at dosages 100 mg-1000 mg per day, which necessitate supplementation.
And Boron cannot excrete other halides than fluoride, or heavy metals like Iodine can.
The body doesn't integrate Boron to organic molecules like it does Iodine either.

So,i would certainly supplement with Boron to get stronger bones with less fluoride, but it cannot in any case replace iodine supplementation.

As far as Tamarind goes, it's just a thought: it's a delicacy meant for gourmets whose sales argument includes fluoride detox.
In the studies conducted, ingestion of this sea animal increases fluoride excretion by 30%, (compared to 1500% for iodine ingested in mg amounts).

Yes: taking iodine will restore thyroid hormone production. Fluoride toxicity is potentiated by iodine deficiency: the body will normalise provided it gets sufficient iodine, even in presence of excess fluoride.

Wachters
Fantastic info. Many thanks.

GorillaHead

I started supplmenting iodine for hypo about two weeks ago i started at 12.5. Then upped to 50mg. All in all I doses about 100 mg over a course of two weeks. I hope i havent done any damage. I too noticed burst of energy and then tapered quickly.

What are peoples thoughts on just supplementing 2.5mg a week with 200 mcg of selenium every other day?

Arrade

I started supplmenting iodine for hypo about two weeks ago i started at 12.5. Then upped to 50mg. All in all I doses about 100 mg over a course of two weeks. I hope i havent done any damage. I too noticed burst of energy and then tapered quickly.

What are peoples thoughts on just supplementing 2.5mg a week with 200 mcg of selenium every other day?
Why did you stop?
I’m not convinced it destroys the thyroid, since I had a friend who had success wth it

Arrade

Never said i did. I lowered to doing 5mg a week. I feel this is a safer dose.
I felt the taper of energy too but so far haven’t felt anything negative or the taper in a while.
You’re supposed to take Vit C and ATP cofactors and magesnium with it

Mossy

I felt the taper of energy too but so far haven’t felt anything negative or the taper in a while.
You’re supposed to take Vit C and ATP cofactors and magesnium with it
It’s motivating to hear these semi-success stories with iodine. As you gain more experience, please continue to share. I’ve been interested in trying this, but have been scared away.

Mossy

Arrade

Excellent. :thumbsup: Thanks for the link.
Reading from weston A price today, because I felt rather poor after consuming iodine.
I’m going to stop consuming it, as it seems perhaps 1 mg iodine is about what happens naturally in a persons diet.

This matter to me is very confusing, but I did not feel great using 12.5 mg.
@Mossy my friend was also using ashwagandha. TBH I don’t have the answers yet so I can’t recommend it

https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/modern-diseases/the-great-iodine-debate/

“However, a published analysis of iodine intake in Japan found a range of 45-1921 mcg per day,33 and Weston Price found healthy peoples consuming iodine amounts in the lower end of this range.”

Arrade

Thyroid expert Ray Peat's claims about iodine-induced thyroid disease are shown contrary to scientific fact in Japanese thyroid disease statistics, where people are known to ingest 15mg/day of iodine from seaweed.

But don't email him about those annoying Japanese statistics, you're probably certain to get a brush-off.
This quote may be based on the dry weight of iodine multiplied by the wet weight of kelp (incorrect thing to do)
This is seen in the link I posted above

GorillaHead

Reading from weston A price today, because I felt rather poor after consuming iodine.
I’m going to stop consuming it, as it seems perhaps 1 mg iodine is about what happens naturally in a persons diet.

@Mossy my friend was also using ashwagandha. TBH I don’t have the answers yet so I can’t recommend it

https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/modern-diseases/the-great-iodine-debate/

“However, a published analysis of iodine intake in Japan found a range of 45-1921 mcg per day,33 and Weston Price found healthy peoples consuming iodine amounts in the lower end of this range.”
This is my concesus as well. I wouldnt pump beyond 2.5 in a day. And even then pulsing itand cycling off is suggester. Thyroid is wayy to important to royaly f*** up!

Mossy

I appreciate you sharing this. If you did not feel great, I’d probably feel horrible—I know no one as sensitive to supplements as myself.

I have tried ashwagandha with mixed results, but ultimately I always end up feeling worse off and sick with taking any supplement continuously. I may test intermintent ashwagandha.

Mossy

This is my concesus as well. I wouldnt pump beyond 2.5 in a day. And even then pulsing itand cycling off is suggester. Thyroid is wayy to important to royaly f*** up!
So, you’re going to continue with small doses or stop as well?

baccheion

Interesting. Did you take it with sufficient L-selenomethionine? What else were you taking? How long before noticing a decline? Was the decline similar to (bromine) detox? Did you try taking more (some noticed easier detox by bumping to 100 mg/day and salt pushing)? Were you following iodine protocol or just taking iodine?

Ras

I appreciate you sharing this. If you did not feel great, I’d probably feel horrible—I know no one as sensitive to supplements as myself.

I have tried ashwagandha with mixed results, but ultimately I always end up feeling worse off and sick with taking any supplement continuously. I may test intermintent ashwagandha.
What ashwaganda did you try?

Mossy

What ashwaganda did you try?
Swanson premium brand. I realize their quality may be in question, but I’ve had good experience with some of their other supplements.

Ras

Swanson premium brand. I realize their quality may be in question, but I’ve had good experience with some of their other supplements.
If you'd like to try ashwagandha again, I recommend looking into the extracts available at Nootropics Depot - they have the highest quality of any vendor I've found. They offer three extractions, each having its own, unique benefit:
  1. KSM-66
  2. Sensoril
  3. 4-5% Withanolides
They don't provide scoops, as dosing with them is too inaccurate, so I recommend a scale if you get the powder: AWS-600, and GEMINI-20 are good options that have always served me well.

Mossy

If you'd like to try ashwagandha again, I recommend looking into the extracts available at Nootropics Depot - they have the highest quality of any vendor I've found. They offer three extractions, each having its own, unique benefit:
  1. KSM-66
  2. Sensoril
  3. 4-5% Withanolides
They don't provide scoops, as dosing with them is too inaccurate, so I recommend a scale if you get the powder: AWS-600, and GEMINI-20 are good options that have always served me well.
Thank you very much. I’ll look into these, and may try, as needed.

Curiousman

Iodine stimulates estrogen receptor singling and its systemic level is increased in surgical patients due to topical absorption

ABSTRACT

Iodine is crucial for thyroid hormone production. However, recent epidemiologic studies have shown that breast cancer patients have an elevated risk of developing thyroid cancer and vice versa. A notable finding in this study is that iodine stimulated the transcriptional activity of estrogen receptor-α (ER-α) in breast cancer cells. Iodine stimulated expression of several ER-α regulated gene including PS2, Cathepsin D, CyclinD1, and PR both in vitro and in nude mice, which is consistent with its stimulation of both anchorage-dependent and -independent growth of ER-α positive breast cancer cells and the effect to dampen tumor shrinkage of MCF-7 xenograft in ovariectomized nude mice. Analyses of clinical urine samples from breast cancer patients undergoing surgery demonstrated that urinary iodine levels were significantly higher than that in controls; and this increased level is due to the antiseptic use of iodine during breast surgery. The present study indicates that excess iodine intake may be an unfavorable factor in breast cancer by stimulation of ER-α transcriptional activity.

baccheion

Iodine stimulates estrogen receptor singling and its systemic level is increased in surgical patients due to topical absorption

ABSTRACT

Iodine is crucial for thyroid hormone production. However, recent epidemiologic studies have shown that breast cancer patients have an elevated risk of developing thyroid cancer and vice versa. A notable finding in this study is that iodine stimulated the transcriptional activity of estrogen receptor-α (ER-α) in breast cancer cells. Iodine stimulated expression of several ER-α regulated gene including PS2, Cathepsin D, CyclinD1, and PR both in vitro and in nude mice, which is consistent with its stimulation of both anchorage-dependent and -independent growth of ER-α positive breast cancer cells and the effect to dampen tumor shrinkage of MCF-7 xenograft in ovariectomized nude mice. Analyses of clinical urine samples from breast cancer patients undergoing surgery demonstrated that urinary iodine levels were significantly higher than that in controls; and this increased level is due to the antiseptic use of iodine during breast surgery. The present study indicates that excess iodine intake may be an unfavorable factor in breast cancer by stimulation of ER-α transcriptional activity.
Interesting. I've seen mentions of iodine protocol levels of iodine being used to treat breast cancer, as it induces apoptosis.

Iodine Treats Breast Cancer, Overwhelming Evidence - Jeffrey Dach MD

Uptake and antiproliferative effect of molecular iodine in the MCF-7 breast cancer cell line. - PubMed - NCBI

Iodine alters gene expression in the MCF7 breast cancer cell line: evidence for an anti-estrogen effect of iodine. - PubMed - NCBI

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals