Mega Dosing Iodine = Bad, Destroys Thyroid Tissue Permanently

Makrosky

Why exactly 400 mcg and not some other amount?
Because that is what all iodine literate doctors recommend. L-selenomethionine 200-400mcg. That was the last time I checked, afew years ago. I think it hasn't changed. For anyone interested on iodine I think you should read all the stuff from flechas, brownstein, Dach, etc... they are the ones who really know the stuff. Also there's Stephanie Buist or something like that, I can't recall her name. She wrote a PDF guide on how to supplement iodine. She ezplains why the need for selenium there and lots of other important info.

Cirion

I'm still using it although I dropped my dosage a little bit, still doing around 25 mg a day just fine though.

Cirion

I'm using Lugol's 5%.

I lowered the dosage after I thought maybe I was getting too much of a TSH spike (it happens when you start off on iodine usually, so was not surprised) assumed because I was starting to have fatigue symptoms. However I changed so many variables I can't be clear if that indeed was what was happening.

I know for a fact caffeine was actually one of the major contributors to my fatigue. I have now since cut out all stimulants (aspirin, caffeine, chocolate) from my life and seem to be doing a bit better. I also came to realize that eating ice cream in the middle of the night after waking up was making my fatigue / waking temperatures worse - 97.8-97.9F waking temp -> increased to 98.2F when I ditched the midnight ice cream. (I find it is mostly SALT your body craves at night not so much calories, so I just had a simple glass of OJ mixed with 1 TSP of salt last night). This leaves me about 0.4F to go before I can finally get my waking temps perfect. Actually I think dairy in general doesn't agree with me honestly. May ditch the ice cream entirely. Anyway, that's another topic for another day lol.

I might try to bring my dose of Iodine up again to see how I fare within the current context of my diet and see how I feel.

baccheion

I'm using Lugol's 5%.

I lowered the dosage after I thought maybe I was getting too much of a TSH spike (it happens when you start off on iodine usually, so was not surprised) assumed because I was starting to have fatigue symptoms. However I changed so many variables I can't be clear if that indeed was what was happening.

I know for a fact caffeine was actually one of the major contributors to my fatigue. I have now since cut out all stimulants (aspirin, caffeine, chocolate) from my life and seem to be doing a bit better. I also came to realize that eating ice cream in the middle of the night after waking up was making my fatigue / waking temperatures worse - 97.8-97.9F waking temp -> increased to 98.2F when I ditched the midnight ice cream. (I find it is mostly SALT your body craves at night not so much calories, so I just had a simple glass of OJ mixed with 1 TSP of salt last night). This leaves me about 0.4F to go before I can finally get my waking temps perfect. Actually I think dairy in general doesn't agree with me honestly. May ditch the ice cream entirely. Anyway, that's another topic for another day lol.

I might try to bring my dose of Iodine up again to see how I fare within the current context of my diet and see how I feel.
Salt is part of the iodine protocol. Are you following the protocol or just taking Lugol's?

Cirion

Indeed it is, but the protocol is so low that I never really was concerned about it (what is it, like 1/4 a tsp a couple times a day or something?) I have WAY more than that a day. I do also supplement selenium, magnesium, vitamin C.

Amazoniac

In a state of iodine deficiency, the body’s major storage of iodine occurs in the thyroid gland. When the body becomes iodine sufficient, the thyroid gland will contain 50mg of iodine out of total body iodine of 1,500mg-2,000mg.[57,58] At iodine sufficiency, the largest amounts of iodine are found in fat tissue and muscle (striated) tissue. If obesity is present, the body’s need for iodine increases as the fat cells of the body would require more iodine.
If you weight 70 kg with 10% as body fat, that's 7000 g of fat. And if all your fat consumed for a long time was from dairy, it must be reflected in your tissues with a similar profile. Butter requires about 30 g of iodine for attacking all the double bonds in 100 g of it (lab setting).

30 * (7000/100) = 2100 g
2100 / 0.05 (50 mg a day) = 42000 days
42000 / 365 = 115 years

This is without any daily addition.​

We can therefore forget the idea that iodine will ever be capable of protecting our fats unless perhaps in specific places, other than that there's no way of attaining Such_Saturation.

Last edited:

Ras

If you weight 70 kg with 10% as body fat, that's 7000 g of fat. And if all your fat consumed for a long time was from dairy, it must be reflected in your tissues with a similar profile. Butter requires about 30 g of iodine for attacking all the double bonds in 100 g of it (lab setting).

30 * (7000/100) = 2100 g
42000 / 365 = 115 years

We can therefore forget the idea that iodine will ever be capable of protecting our fats unless perhaps in specific places, other than that there's no way of attaining Such_Saturation.
Is adding elemental iodine to oil enough to iodinate the bonds?

I posted a thread about this. The oil needs to be heated at a pretty high temperature along with the elemental iodine.

Amazoniac

I posted a thread about this. The oil needs to be heated at a pretty high temperature along with the elemental iodine.
Guru, this is the opposite of what I read, here's an example showing concern on every step:

- Standard Test Method for Determination of the Iodine Value of Fats and Oils

"All Wijs [iodine monochloride] solutions are sensitive to temperature, moisture, and light. Store them in a cool and dark place and never allow them to come to a temperature much above 30°C."

"Care shall be taken not to exceed 10° to 15°C above the sample melting point during melting and filtering."

"Store the flasks in a dark place for 30 min at a temperature of 25 ± 5°C."​

Alpha

30 * (7000/100) = 2100 g
42000 / 365 = 115 years

I don't think equating body fat fatty acid profile with butter is accurate.

Amazoniac

I don't think equating body fat fatty acid profile with butter is accurate.
Various meats have a similar profile. What can be argued is that monounsaturated fats appear in substantial amounts and might also consume iodine but they's safe, so we should discount this.
I'm not sure. I think they add other stuff to prevent separation and an incomplete reaction.
Qualitative Analysis of Oil and Fats - MeitY OLabs (Huble's test)

Last edited:
Guru, this is the opposite of what I read, here's an example showing concern on every step:

- Standard Test Method for Determination of the Iodine Value of Fats and Oils

"All Wijs [iodine monochloride] solutions are sensitive to temperature, moisture, and light. Store them in a cool and dark place and never allow them to come to a temperature much above 30°C."

"Care shall be taken not to exceed 10° to 15°C above the sample melting point during melting and filtering."

"Store the flasks in a dark place for 30 min at a temperature of 25 ± 5°C."​

Those instructions are not for elemental iodine. For solid elemental iodine to bond with oil, without any additional ingredients, to be a saturated iodized oil (which is clear) heat must be used. At least this is the only home kitchen method I found. Simply dropping elemental iodine in room temperature oil does not create a clear product.

Amazoniac

Those instructions are not for elemental iodine. For solid elemental iodine to bond with oil, without any additional ingredients, to be a saturated iodized oil (which is clear) heat must be used. At least this is the only home kitchen method I found. Simply dropping elemental iodine in room temperature oil does not create a clear product.
What is the thread?
Edit: I was trying to find it, but the post above only appeared to me after posting this one.

Last edited:

Whichway?

30 * (7000/100) = 2100 g
42000 / 365 = 115 years

It’s not that straight forward. Iodine is taken up an retained by different tissues at different rates. Iodine absorbed by the thyroid gland takes approximately 80 days before half of it is lost. Other tissues turn it over more rapidly and have shorter half lives.

It does mean that it wouldn’t take 115 years to saturate your cells.

Amazoniac

It’s not that straight forward. Iodine is taken up an retained by different tissues at different rates. Iodine absorbed by the thyroid gland takes approximately 80 days before half of it is lost. Other tissues turn it over more rapidly and have shorter half lives.

It does mean that it wouldn’t take 115 years to saturate your cells.
It is straightforward because the main point is that we have a certain amount of unsaturated fats in the body and that's the amount of iodine required for full reaction, it can get worse when you start adding complexity.

I'm commenting this because the 'iodinated lipids' talk might leave people with an impression that such thing is achievable with high doses of iodine over time, but it's not, you won't get there no matter how much you take. According Dawid's body saturation, it's up to 2 g; but the body might have for example 210 g of PUFA that's turning over all the time.

There must be specific parts that can benefit from such thing, and maybe the body prioritizes the distribution for such places or perhaps a steady supply guarantees that iodine will be added to fats that are more active, but I'm not sure if we can rely on it for protection from most of the polyunsaturated fats stress.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals