Mega Dosing Iodine = Bad, Destroys Thyroid Tissue Permanently

Cirion

Unfortunately, the peel is also high in Solanine, a poison that is not helpful. Cooking it well enough may inactivate some of that though.

Amazoniac

Mineral composition of freshly harvested potatoeshttps://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF02852157
upload_2018-11-18_15-36-24.png

Skeptikos

Unfortunately, the peel is also high in Solanine, a poison that is not helpful. Cooking it well enough may inactivate some of that though.

Sup Cirion, has your thyroid been destroyed yet?

I bought Terry Naturally Iodine (12,5 mg) for my "CFS" and the allopaths got me scared with "iodine induced hyperthyroidism" or the awakening of a dormant autoimmune process in the thyroid gland.

Iodine is one of the few things I never tried in the "active treatment seeking years" of my illness.

Possibly this was discussed earlier in the thread, but I feel too ****88 up from 7 years of unrefreshing sleep to bother.

Also, can we just eat brazil nuts for the selenium?

LeeLemonoil

Understanding Iodine’s role in the mitochondria membranes and how and if it affects electron transport should bring us much closer to a definitive judgement about Iodine.
Mito Health and function is probably the one most „upstream“ basic function of a functional, healthy metabolism and is, as haidut recently linked up, even more „decisive“ to health than genes.

It seems that a lot of the iolipids are located just there, the mito-membranes.
There exists also complexes of iodine with amino acids tyrosine and histidine, two AAs that are also precursors of impoertant substances like dopamine, adrenaline and histamine. Maybe Iodie plays a role in homeostasis of those transmitters also

Cirion

Sup Cirion, has your thyroid been destroyed yet?

I bought Terry Naturally Iodine (12,5 mg) for my "CFS" and the allopaths got me scared with "iodine induced hyperthyroidism" or the awakening of a dormant autoimmune process in the thyroid gland.

Iodine is one of the few things I never tried in the "active treatment seeking years" of my illness.

Possibly this was discussed earlier in the thread, but I feel too ****88 up from 7 years of unrefreshing sleep to bother.

Also, can we just eat brazil nuts for the selenium?

Nope, in fact I recently increased my dose to 100 mg a day with no noticeably negative effects. The only thing I have noticed is with this increased dosages I seem to have increased bowel movements and what I believe to be parasites being removed in my bowel movements. Gross, but I think Iodine is helping me rid myself of long-standing parasites. This makes sense if Dr. Brown was right and Iodine is a strong anti-oxidant like Vitamin C.

Amazoniac posted earlier that the selenium content of brazil nuts is not consistent - some may have little content, some may have too much (promoting toxicity). In this case, supplementation seems safest (I use a liquid form so it is quickly bio-usable)

The only way as far as I know for Iodine to induce hyperthyroidism is if you have dysfunctional thyroid nodules. If this is the case, reducing Iodine intake to reduce symptoms is merely a band-aid (and I will admit, probably in the short term, necessary, while you get the problem fixed), and you need to get this checked out by a Dr. It's like avoiding sugar because you have diabetes, which as we know Dr. Peat has a thing or two to say about that.

Last edited:

Skeptikos

Good to know, gonna take the Iodine like its candy lol

Selenium looks like a cheap supplement, will get some.

How important are the rest of cofactors?

Yggr

Super interested to know results of applying logol’s or any other strategy to remove cherry angiomas!

whodathunkit

I don't remember if I have replied to this long thread or not so please excuse any redundancy in my comments .No time to comb back through .

My experience with megadosing iodine 10 years ago was very very good. I no longer megadose but iodine really turned my thyroid function around . Still enjoy jmproved function and good labs to this day. I credit iodine as the foundation of my journey to reclaim my health . These days, the more strictly I adhere to my Peatier dietary regimen, the better my labs and overall well being gets over time. I don't agree with Peat on everything but he's dead on about some things and my version really works for me.

Caveat to using iodine especially in the beginning is you need lots of extra magnesium, selenium, and zinc. These minerals offset side effects that can occur as a result of the iodine liberating bromine, mercury, and other toxins stored in the thyroid gland and other tissues. Extra vitamin C is also needed. Sides from iodine can sometimes be severe in people with lots of stored toxins so research should be done before trying.

Cirion

Thanks for the additional testimonial. Yes, it seems like Iodine is the missing ingredient in many peoples' recovery process. Glad to hear it worked out for you.

@Skeptikos as @whodathunkit just stated, the co-factors really matter, you can't really ignore them.

LeeLemonoil

Due to the unique chemical properties of iodine, it probably became critical to life on Earth as soon as LUCA arose, between 3 and 4 Ga (Fig. 2). Early cells that used the conversion of idodate to iodide as a protective measure against oxidative damage to their cell membranes would have survived the longest. In these cells, some iodide almost certainly migrated into the cytoplasm as a consequence of oxidation reactions at the membrane interface with the environment (a hypothesis that is testable experimentally using primitive cell types under a variety of conditions that, to the best of our knowledge, could have existed 3–4 Ga). Since iodide naturally combines to form I2, which is a powerful catalyst, the presence of I2within cytoplasm might initially have catalyzed the reactions necessary for the generation of energy and for salt/ion balance, and later, the non-enzymatic synthesis of tyrosine molecules from simple available sugars (such hypotheses are also testable experimentally). Once tyrosine was available for inclusion in cellular metabolism, the biochemical machinery for photosynthesis could evolve.

LeeLemonoil

This is only the conclusion from the publication I linked up.
The entire one is highly recommended. It does not give insight if and how much iodine is needed in human consumption but it stresses the crucial, decisive role iodine played in the development of multicelular life.

Makrosky

Guys.... you are going to **** up your thyroid very badly if you don't supplement 400mcg of selenomethionine (and not less, and not anyother form, and definitely NOT from brazil nuts). Please.

Other than that, I'm also in favor of iodine and I think Ray is wrong about it's toxicity. But it has to be used correctly.

I think all the studies demonstrating iodine toxicity is becase they were not using selenium along with it, which is, again, absolutely crucial for it to work correctly.

You have been warned.

LeeLemonoil

@Makrosky
I agree that sufficient selenium has to be present to ensure deiodases to work properly.
But can you elaborate why not from Brazil nuts?

Ras

Guys.... you are going to **** up your thyroid very badly if you don't supplement 400mcg of selenomethionine (and not less, and not anyother form, and definitely NOT from brazil nuts). Please.

Other than that, I'm also in favor of iodine and I think Ray is wrong about it's toxicity. But it has to be used correctly.

I think all the studies demonstrating iodine toxicity is becase they were not using selenium along with it, which is, again, absolutely crucial for it to work correctly.

You have been warned.
Why exactly 400 mcg and not some other amount?

Makrosky

@Makrosky
I agree that sufficient selenium has to be present to ensure deiodases to work properly.
But can you elaborate why not from Brazil nuts?
1- Because the selenium content of them is not reliable. It varies a lot.
2- Because there's also the risk you are not extracting/absorving their selenium content properly. Nuts are always hard on the digestive system.
3- Because that's what all iodine experts (Drs Brownsrein, Flechas, etc...) recommend.
4- Because it is absolutely crucial to have the proper selenium ammount so you don't destroy your thyroid, so you cannot risk points 1 and 2. I think better safe than sorry.

Makrosky

Can you post the studies you are referring to?
I think they have been posted on this thread already? Sorry I am traveling right now and don't have the time to look for them. I just logged in because I felt I had to warn you guys about the selenium thing.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals