MEDICINAL HERBS I LOVE

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Dried coffee cherries, per serving, is also extremely nutrient-rich. It has three times more iron than spinach and twice the potassium of a banana. Potassium is extremely water-soluble, which makes brewed coffee fruit beverages a delicious and calorie-free way to give your body a vital nutrient.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Raspberries are worth mentioning here. To avoid the seeds I soak frozen organic blueberries overnight in filtered water, often with blueberries, and I usually sweeten it with a raw, neutral tasting, soft-set white honey. It made for amazing sleep last night, reading a book, and sipping on it up until bedtime….

“Raspberry is better than aspirin

This berry is valuable not only for taste and aroma but also for astonishing heeling remedies.

What is so extraordinary in it?

1. It contains salicylic acid - the main content of the majority of antiphlogistic and antipyretic medicine.

2. It keeps youth: vitamins A, E, PP, B2 are responsible for life tonus, skin elasticity and good face color.

3. It contains a lot of cuprum, and cuprum is a part of many antidepressants. That is why it is good for people who experience stress to eat raspberries by cupped hand.

4. It helps to improve blood because of iron contents.

5. It supports potency because of vitamin C contents.

6. It is especially useful for pregnant and those who are planning to have a baby because it contains folic acid.

7. It improves the kidney work and takes hypostases away because decoction from its leaves possesses light diuretic action.

8. It contains tannin so it is helpful to gargle the throat during angina.

9. In contrast to aspirin it doesn?t provoke stomach ulcer.

10. It tastes good!“

Attachments

• 84DCD3A5-C727-436D-93F9-18513BE2F748.jpeg
    84DCD3A5-C727-436D-93F9-18513BE2F748.jpeg
    376.3 KB · Views: 22
OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Herbs, extracts, and especially highly concentrated essential oils can have a huge impact on estrogen, testosterone, thyroid, and so on.

For example, non-concentrated peppermint/spearmint tea lowers testosterone.

Yet many in our community, and most of society, use concentrates of them daily (toothpaste, mouthwash, floss, ...)“

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Not sure about ginger internally, but I wonder if it might be helpful as a mouthwash…

“Thus, compared to control cells, the stimulated cells reacted about 30 percent more strongly to a peptide that simulates a bacterial infection. Addition of a TRPV1 receptor-specific inhibitor reversed the effect induced by [6]-gingerol.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Nettle has many uses in the vegetable garden. It is an indicator of a fertile soil and is a ‘dynamic accumulator’ that takes up many minerals with its roots, including nitrogen, silicon and iron.”

“Nettle can be harvested for eating any time except when flowering or seeding. It has a high iron content, and can be used as a spinach substitute, juiced or used in soups and stews. It can also be used as the basis of a refreshing herbal tea or made into Nettle beer. Juice from the leaves have been used for hundreds of years to curdle milk for cheese-making if rennet is not available.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat

Attachments

• 1B8FC0D4-4569-4A9B-B389-AC44A48AA75F.jpeg
    1B8FC0D4-4569-4A9B-B389-AC44A48AA75F.jpeg
    461.3 KB · Views: 7
  • D69C75DA-D451-44E5-A554-4542CFC2797A.jpeg
    D69C75DA-D451-44E5-A554-4542CFC2797A.jpeg
    446.9 KB · Views: 6
OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Does rosemary effect estrogen?

In fact, research in mice demonstrates that by clearing out estrogen, rosemary helps decreases the hormone's ability to cause cancer, and a study in Oncology Reports showed that rosemary extract “slowed the spread of human leukemia and breast carcinoma cells.””

“Another reason integrative healthcare practitioners like the herb and supplements is that they seem to have hormone-balancing effects—especially for women. “It helps detox estrogens in the liver, which can lower activity in the body,” says Susan Blum, M.D., an integrative physician and founder of the Blum Center for Health in Rye Brook, New York. “It’s great to use for women with heavy periods, bad PMS, fibroids, fibrocystic breasts, endometriosis, and hot flashes.””

Attachments

• 28B5F325-8D47-458B-945C-359AAFC8C636.jpeg
    28B5F325-8D47-458B-945C-359AAFC8C636.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 11342B02-56E7-4990-97ED-470505E69E96.jpeg
    11342B02-56E7-4990-97ED-470505E69E96.jpeg
    615.3 KB · Views: 9
OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Stinging nettle treatment recommendations abound on the internet, including:

pulverized stinging nettle juice,
pulverized plantain juice (Plantago major),
vinegar,
pulverized dock juice (Rumex L.),
baking soda.

Experiment: Does stinging nettle juice stop stinging nettle stings?

While we haven’t tried every popular method claiming to cure stinging nettle stings, I did self-experiment to see if stinging nettle is its own cure…

Hypothesis: Stinging nettle leaves contain compounds that neutralize their own sting.

Methodology:

I took raw stinging nettle leaves and pulverize them into a paste with a mortar and pestle. (1 Tbsp water added to help form a liquid paste.)
I applied the plant juice/paste to the effected area about 5 minutes after the initial sting, then let the paste sit on the sting for 10-15 minutes.
The spot immediately felt cool and the stinging sensation went away within minutes. The size of the welts reduced on my arm as well
After 15 minutes (once the paste/juice completely dried), I washed off the area with cold soapy water using a dish cloth. I scrubbed in a single direction, rather than a circular motion, with the aim of pulling the stinging hairs out.
About 45 minutes later the spot felt warm and tingly, almost like it had icy hot on it. Strangely, about 60 minutes in, the stinging sensation came back and persisted for a couple more hours, albeit much less intensely than the initial sting. Perhaps continued applications of nettle juice are required to make this method continue to work.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Does rosemary effect estrogen?

In fact, research in mice demonstrates that by clearing out estrogen, rosemary helps decreases the hormone's ability to cause cancer, and a study in Oncology Reports showed that rosemary extract “slowed the spread of human leukemia and breast carcinoma cells.””

“Another reason integrative healthcare practitioners like the herb and supplements is that they seem to have hormone-balancing effects—especially for women. “It helps detox estrogens in the liver, which can lower activity in the body,” says Susan Blum, M.D., an integrative physician and founder of the Blum Center for Health in Rye Brook, New York. “It’s great to use for women with heavy periods, bad PMS, fibroids, fibrocystic breasts, endometriosis, and hot flashes.””

I finished drying my rosemary. Now I am going to grow chamomile, and dry it the same way for tea.

Attachments

• 03B580D0-B28A-4DD7-AB92-5C2148B9BDA4.jpeg
    03B580D0-B28A-4DD7-AB92-5C2148B9BDA4.jpeg
    830.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 8C851C6F-4297-40F5-A9E4-FD01EA9583BB.jpeg
    8C851C6F-4297-40F5-A9E4-FD01EA9583BB.jpeg
    478.8 KB · Views: 6
  • F546E52A-224E-4978-AC61-92E6ACBCB748.jpeg
    F546E52A-224E-4978-AC61-92E6ACBCB748.jpeg
    607.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 024902DB-3E4C-420C-B11D-268ED490797B.jpeg
    024902DB-3E4C-420C-B11D-268ED490797B.jpeg
    538.3 KB · Views: 9
OP
Rinse & rePeat
“One of the most important functions of rosemary is as an anti-inflammatory agent in the body. Carnosol and carnosic acid are two powerful antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds found in rosemary that have been linked with the reduction of inflammation of muscles, joints and blood vessels.

This makes it an effective treatment for blood pressure, arthritis, gout, and injuries caused by physical exertion or surgery. It is effective in oral form for these anti-inflammatory effects. Further, reducing inflammation in the cardiovascular system can help to boost heart health and prevent atherosclerosis.“

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Rosemary has been used as a traditional remedy by numerous cultures, for upset stomachs, bloating, constipation, diarrhea, and everything in between. This is because of its anti-inflammatory and stimulant effects. Adding it to your weekly diet can quickly help regulate your bowel movements and your gastrointestinal system.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I drank chickweed tea, with rosemary daily, for a good year or more….

“Chickweed is considered to have mild, natural diuretic effects that support the health of the kidneys and bladder. It may help fight bladder infections and kidney-related issues, while decreasing fluid retention and swelling.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“What vitamins are in chickweed? Stellaria species are rich in nutrients including vitamins C and A, B vitamins (such as thiamine, riboflavin and niacin), magnesium, iron, calcium, and zinc. This plant even contains a decent amount of protein, as well as a good dose of fiber.

Studies have demonstrated that chickweed contains antioxidants including phytosterols, tocopherols, triterpene saponins, hentiacontanol, coumarins, organic acids and flavonoids, which have the ability to fight free radical damage.

Because it’s a great source of vitamin C and zinc, it can support overall immune system health and protect against a number of conditions, such as coughs, asthma, allergies and bronchitis.“

Jennifer

“The stinging nettle plant can be found almost anywhere on Earth. Nettles can be eaten as a vegetable, juice, tea, or a flavoring in a variety of dishes. Stinging nettles have several health benefits. The nettle has antioxidant, antibacterial, and pro-health effects in all of its parts. Stinging nettle has significantly higher tannin content, total polyphenol content, antioxidant activity, carotenoids, and calorific value. The bioactivities of these functional components may be important in the prevention of arthritis, rheumatism, and cancer. The use of U. dioica L. in the diet, either as a single herb or in combination with other herbs, can boost growth and boost immune in fish, poultry and animals, making them more resistant to bacterial infection.”

I just received this recipe for tortillas with nettles in my inbox:

Homemade Tortilla Recipe with Nettles​

Makes about 14 small torillas.
You will need the following tools:

• Tortilla press
  • Cut-out circles from parchment paper the size of your tortilla press
  • Cast iron or nonstick skillet
  • Clean dish towel for keeping cooked tortillas warm
Ingredients
Directions
  1. Combine masa harina, nettle leaf powder, and salt.
  2. Add 1 + 1/2 cups warm water to dry ingredients and mix until fully combined.
  3. The masa should be moist and wet but not sticky against your fingers.
  4. If it is too dry, add more of the remaining water. If it is too sticky, add more masa harina until a non-sticky dough forms.
  5. Cut two large circles from parchment paper that will fit in your tortilla press.
  6. Prewarm skillet over high heat. You want it to be hot.
  7. Roll the masa into uniform small balls, a bit smaller than the size of a golf ball.
  8. Place a masa ball into the tortilla press and place the second parchment round on top.
  9. Press the dough firmly down with the press so it is thin and uniformly pressed on both sides. Flip the tortilla in the press if one side is flatter than the other.
  10. Pick up the tortilla and carefully peel off the parchment paper.
  11. Place the tortilla on hot skillet and cook for 20-30 seconds on each side.
  12. Taste the first one. If you need to add a little more salt to the batch do so, or if the tortilla tastes too dry add a little more water.
  13. Repeat steps 7-11 with remaining dough.
  14. Store the cooked tortillas in a cloth dish towel to keep them warm, adding each tortilla as it comes off the skillet.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I just received this recipe for tortillas with nettles in my inbox:

Homemade Tortilla Recipe with Nettles​

Makes about 14 small torillas.
You will need the following tools:

• Tortilla press
  • Cut-out circles from parchment paper the size of your tortilla press
  • Cast iron or nonstick skillet
  • Clean dish towel for keeping cooked tortillas warm
Ingredients
Directions
  1. Combine masa harina, nettle leaf powder, and salt.
  2. Add 1 + 1/2 cups warm water to dry ingredients and mix until fully combined.
  3. The masa should be moist and wet but not sticky against your fingers.
  4. If it is too dry, add more of the remaining water. If it is too sticky, add more masa harina until a non-sticky dough forms.
  5. Cut two large circles from parchment paper that will fit in your tortilla press.
  6. Prewarm skillet over high heat. You want it to be hot.
  7. Roll the masa into uniform small balls, a bit smaller than the size of a golf ball.
  8. Place a masa ball into the tortilla press and place the second parchment round on top.
  9. Press the dough firmly down with the press so it is thin and uniformly pressed on both sides. Flip the tortilla in the press if one side is flatter than the other.
  10. Pick up the tortilla and carefully peel off the parchment paper.
  11. Place the tortilla on hot skillet and cook for 20-30 seconds on each side.
  12. Taste the first one. If you need to add a little more salt to the batch do so, or if the tortilla tastes too dry add a little more water.
  13. Repeat steps 7-11 with remaining dough.
  14. Store the cooked tortillas in a cloth dish towel to keep them warm, adding each tortilla as it comes off the skillet.
This is an interesting idea Jennifer. Have you made regular masa tortillas before? I have not had luck with them, as they are dry and unbendable. I would suggest adding a little all-purpose heirloom wheat flour to this recipe, or a little oil, one that doesn’t harden when it gets cold, whatever sin you choose to partake in. :)

Jennifer

This is an interesting idea Jennifer. Have you made regular masa tortillas before? I have not had luck with them, as they are dry and unbendable. I would suggest adding a little all-purpose heirloom wheat flour to this recipe, or a little oil, one that doesn’t harden when it gets cold, whatever sin you choose to partake in. :)

No, I haven’t. I’m probably one of the few people on the planet who doesn’t care for Mexican food and I really dislike the taste of masa flour. I typically use crêpes as a wrap. I make them with sprouted heirloom wheat from To Your Health Sprouted Flour Co. Is it common for masa tortillas to be dry? I always thought they were traditionally made with lard, but the recipe I posted comes from siblings who grew up in Oaxaca, Mexico and it doesn’t call for a fat. I’m wondering if wrapping the tortillas in a wet paper towel and then briefly warming them up in the microwave, essentially steaming them, would help make them flexible? I do this with my dad’s bread and hot dog and hamburger buns—because they’re more natural, they dry out quickly.

lamassu

Hey Rinse and Repeat. I tried nettle leaf based on your Gray Hair thread. I unfortunately noticed some anti androgenic effects (perhaps anti DHT?). I may try nettle root which may not have the same effect.

I still drink chamomile tea but I'm not sure I can notice any clear effects

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Hey Rinse and Repeat. I tried nettle leaf based on your Gray Hair thread. I unfortunately noticed some anti androgenic effects (perhaps anti DHT?). I may try nettle root which may not have the same effect.

I still drink chamomile tea but I'm not sure I can notice any clear effects

In my nettle thread for gray hair, a few people have been having luck with the leaf without any side effects. I never noticed any side effects either. I have never tried the root….

“Evidence points out that nettle root is one of the best herbs that can help your hair grow faster. Nettle root is enriched with numerous chemicals like caffeic malic acid, lectins, scopoletin, serotonin, polysaccharides, agglutinin, and vitamins- B, C, and K.“