MEDICINAL HERBS I LOVE

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Cascara and aloe are not among the treatment options approved by the FDA, so cascara isn’t widely available (though anyone can grow aloe plants easily). However, there is considerable interest in the drug industry in the possibility of developing products based on emodin, or aloe-emodin, as anticancer or antiviral drugs. Even if it were proved to be safe and effective for use as a laxative, its potential use as an alternative to extremely profitable cancer and virus treatments would make it a serious threat to the drug industry.

Although the standard medical journals have only recently begun writing about it as a cancer treatment, emodin and related chemicals have been of interest as a non-toxic way to treat cancer, allergies, and viral and bacterial diseases for a long time." Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Ray Peat has spoken highly about the medicinal benefits of orange peels, calling themba "super drug". I asked him about other peels and if they have benefits and he said yes!....

Per your recommendation, I have been using orange peels in many places.(I attached pics of some of my places for them). Are other citrus peels beneficial too?

"I think they are all good, as long as they are organic." -Ray Peat

Here are some of the places I have been getting that medicine! I am going to add Meyers lemon marmalade and other peels, like grapefruit and lime peels into my routine

Attachments

• 20211121_111403.jpg
    20211121_111403.jpg
    331.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20211111_173150.jpg
    20211111_173150.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20211029_133547.jpg
    20211029_133547.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 16

Jennifer

I’ve taken over a hundred varieties of herbs since my teens and especially like Dr. Robert Morse’s Cellular Botanicals—to this day, I credit his Heal All formula for saving my little man’s teeth—but now only take ones that I enjoy the taste of as I feel this is the best guide for which herbs my body wants, and these are the ones I’m currently enjoying daily:
  • Black tea—greatly improves my mood and digestion, and causes vivid, pleasant dreams that are romantic in nature
  • Chamomile—relaxes my nervous system and puts me right to sleep (passionflower does the same, but isn’t tasty IMO)
  • Honeybush—relieves indigestion and respiratory issues, and relaxes my nervous system without making me sleepy
  • Peppermint—soothes an upset stomach and clears my sinuses if I’ve had something that irritated my intestines
  • Nettle—strengthens my hair, nails and teeth and alleviates allergy-related symptoms such as hives and shortness of breath

Last edited:

Jennifer

Ray Peat has spoken highly about the medicinal benefits of orange peels, calling themba "super drug". I asked him about other peels and if they have benefits and he said yes!....

Per your recommendation, I have been using orange peels in many places.(I attached pics of some of my places for them). Are other citrus peels beneficial too?

"I think they are all good, as long as they are organic." -Ray Peat

Here are some of the places I have been getting that medicine! I am going to add Meyers lemon marmalade and other peels, like grapefruit and lime peels into my routine

Do you like lemonade? I make lemonade, orangeade, limeade and a mix of all three using a state fair recipe that calls for the peels:

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Do you like lemonade? I make lemonade, orangeade, limeade and a mix of all three using a state fair recipe that calls for the peels:

I love lemonade! I will have to give your recipe a try! If you like limes you will love Brazilian lemonade. It is made with whole limes, with their peels too, and sweetened condensed milk.

Attachments

• 20220228_193359.jpg
    20220228_193359.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 22
OP
Rinse & rePeat
I’ve taken over a hundred varieties of herbs since my teens and especially like Dr. Robert Morse’s Cellular Botanicals—to this day, I credit his Heal All formula for saving my little man’s teeth—but now only take ones that I enjoy the taste of as I feel this is the best guide for which herbs my body wants, and these are the ones I’m currently enjoying daily:
  • Black tea—greatly improves my mood and digestion, and causes vivid, pleasant dreams that are romantic in nature
  • Chamomile—relaxes my nervous system and puts me right to sleep (passionflower does the same, but isn’t tasty IMO)
  • Honeybush—relieves indigestion and respiratory issues, and relaxes my nervous system without making me sleepy
  • Peppermint—soothes an upset stomach and clears my sinuses if I’ve had something that irritated my intestines
  • Nettle—strengthens my hair, nails and teeth and alleviates allergy-related symptoms such as hives and shortness of breath
Honey Bush? I never heard of it. Do you drink the black tea at night for the good dreams?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
My favourite herb is Artichoke extract (Cynara scolymus).

Effects I notice:
1. Better digestion
2. Enhanced Verbal fluency
3. Lighter/more energy
4. Reduced stress
I have been touting artichoke hearts all over the forum lately! I enjoy them more than the carrot salad and RP says...

"They have broad antibiotic and anticancer effects, I don’t know of any harm from them." -Ray Peat

Jennifer

I love lemonade! I will have to give your recipe a try! If you like limes you will love Brazilian lemonade. It is made with whole limes, with their peels too, and sweetened condensed milk.

Ooh…the addition of sweetened condensed milk sounds really good! I have a can of it in the pantry that my mum must have bought for a recipe she planned on making so I’ll try making some Brazilian lemonade today.

Honey Bush? I never heard of it. Do you drink the black tea at night for the good dreams?

Have you had rooibos? Honeybush tastes similar but sweeter and without that slight medicinal flavor rooibos has. I have the black tea at breakfast and lunch, though, I should mention, I experience the same vivid dreams with coffee—I stopped having it due to digestive complaints, mainly bloating. I also experience vivid dreams with German chamomile—my RBTI practitioner had me taking it for its high B6 content—however, they’re not romantic in nature. Clary sage and mugwort are known to cause vivid dreams, with clary sage’s being more sensual in nature, but I haven’t tested either one on their own to confirm this, only as part of a formula.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Have you had rooibos? Honeybush tastes similar but sweeter and without that slight medicinal flavor rooibos has. I have the black tea at breakfast and lunch, though, I should mention, I experience the same vivid dreams with coffee—I stopped having it due to digestive complaints, mainly bloating. I also experience vivid dreams with German chamomile—my RBTI practitioner had me taking it for its high B6 content—however, they’re not romantic in nature. Clary sage and mugwort are known to cause vivid dreams, with clary sage’s being more sensual in nature, but I haven’t tested either one on their own to confirm this, only as part of a formula.
I am gonna look into the honeybush some more. It sure sounds tasty too!

"Both mangiferin and hesperidin are attributed with potent anti-inflammatory and cancer-fighting effects. It’s likely that these compounds are responsible for most of the tea’s presumed benefit."

"Through bone resorption, osteoclasts break down bone tissue to release minerals into the bloodstream. In contrast, osteoblasts form new bone through bone synthesis. When bone loss exceeds formation, the risk of bone diseases like arthritis and osteoporosis is increased."

"Both drinking honeybush tea and topically applying a honeybush tea extract may improve skin health.

Research suggests that the extract could possess anti-aging properties. It’s believed to protect skin cells from oxidation caused by ultraviolet (UV) radiation, in turn reducing wrinkles and improving skin elasticity and hydration.

One 12-week study in 120 people with crow’s feet wrinkles showed that receiving daily supplements of the extract significantly improved global skin wrinkle grade, compared with a control group.

Additionally, animal studies show that the extract may help reduce skin thickening and signs of sunburn, such as skin reddening and peeling."

Let me know what you think of the Brazilian lemonade!

Last edited:

Giraffe

Has anyone experience with agastache foeniculum (anise hyssop)? Or opinions? It`s touted to help with stress related digestive problems and respiratory infections. The leaves have a licorice kind of flavor. It's a beautiful plant, and it's pure joy to watch the bumblebees visiting the tiny flowers.

Jennifer

@Rinse & rePeat, yep, like most herbs, it has a pretty extensive list of positives attributed to it. It contains phytoestrogens so I’m not sure how “Peaty” it is, but I haven’t experienced any negatives consuming it.

@Giraffe, I’ve taken it as part of a formula so I can’t speak of its effectiveness on its own, but the formula did benefit me. Any herb that targets the adrenals and thyroid should help with stress related digestive problems—berries are particularly beneficial for the endocrine system—so ones such as:
  • astragalus root
  • bayberry root
  • bee propolis
  • butcher's broom root
  • eleuthero root
  • chaste tree berry
  • cleavers
  • dandelion root & leaf
  • eleuthero root
  • juniper berry
  • kelp frond
  • parsley—whole plant
  • prickly ash bark
  • he shou wu root
  • rhodiola root
  • saw palmetto berry
  • schizandra berry
  • suma root
And for lungs:
  • bayberry root
  • chickweed
  • comfrey leaf
  • fenugreek seed
  • horehound
  • marshmallow root
  • mullein leaf
  • pleurisy root
  • slippery elm bark Slippery
  • yerba santa leaf
And for infections/micro-organisms:
  • black walnut hull
  • cape aloe leaf
  • cascara sagrada bark
  • cat's claw bark
  • cinnamon
  • clove
  • barberry root
  • butternut bark
  • ginger root
  • goldenseal root
  • nutmeg
  • olive leaf
  • oregano leaf
  • pau d'arco bark
  • peppercorn
  • peppermint leaf
  • thyme leaf

Jennifer

@Rinse & rePeat, hep, like most herbs, it has a pretty extensive list of positives attributed to it. It contains phytoestrogens so I’m not sure how “Peaty” it is, but I haven’t experienced any negatives consuming it.

Thinking about this more, Ray has talked positively about certain phytoestrogens (like naringenin and apigenin) and recommends foods that contain them so I don't think the fact that honeybush contains phytoestrogens means it isn’t “Peaty.” Anyhow, enough of my rambling. I’m signed up to a monthly botanical newsletter and saw this in my inbox this morning:

Best Essential Oil if Exposed to Radiation​

Peppermint (Mentha X Piperita)​

Peppermint is one of the very well-known essential oils and notable for its advantages to enhance energy and mental alertness. there’s a good deal of research to support the radiation protective advantages of Peppermint.

In a 2010 study by Baliga and Rao, also done with mice, found that Peppermint essential oil protected the mice against radiation-induced illness. Additionally, Peppermint protected radiosensitive organs like the testes, gastrointestinal tract, and hematopoietic systems. They relate that this effect also may be associated with the antioxidant properties of Peppermint that may enhance the DNA repair method.

Peppermint was given by oral ingestion to mice in most of the studies. Genuine (organic) Peppermint essential oil can be combined with water to drink throughout the day. Peppermint is very warm and it is suggested to add 1-2 drops to a gallon of water which can be stored in the refrigerator and drank at various times during the day. Remember to use a glass container – not plastic. The oil will dissolve the plastic over time.

These essential oils can be inhaled and many people find this an easy remedy for various concerns such as nausea and fatigue. Inhalation could be a solution for protection too. Use this by placing 1-2 drops of Peppermint oil on a tissue or cotton ball and inhale throughout the day. You can also use this by putting 1-2 drops of Peppermint oil in a teaspoon of your favorite carrier oil (such as coconut oil or jojoba oil) and place it on the soles of the feet every morning to begin your day and give that added protection.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Thinking about this more, Ray has talked positively about certain phytoestrogens (like naringenin and apigenin) and recommends foods that contain them so I don't think the fact that honeybush contains phytoestrogens means it isn’t “Peaty.” Anyhow, enough of my rambling. I’m signed up to a monthly botanical newsletter and saw this in my inbox this morning:

Best Essential Oil if Exposed to Radiation​

Peppermint (Mentha X Piperita)​

Peppermint is one of the very well-known essential oils and notable for its advantages to enhance energy and mental alertness. there’s a good deal of research to support the radiation protective advantages of Peppermint.

In a 2010 study by Baliga and Rao, also done with mice, found that Peppermint essential oil protected the mice against radiation-induced illness. Additionally, Peppermint protected radiosensitive organs like the testes, gastrointestinal tract, and hematopoietic systems. They relate that this effect also may be associated with the antioxidant properties of Peppermint that may enhance the DNA repair method.

Peppermint was given by oral ingestion to mice in most of the studies. Genuine (organic) Peppermint essential oil can be combined with water to drink throughout the day. Peppermint is very warm and it is suggested to add 1-2 drops to a gallon of water which can be stored in the refrigerator and drank at various times during the day. Remember to use a glass container – not plastic. The oil will dissolve the plastic over time.

These essential oils can be inhaled and many people find this an easy remedy for various concerns such as nausea and fatigue. Inhalation could be a solution for protection too. Use this by placing 1-2 drops of Peppermint oil on a tissue or cotton ball and inhale throughout the day. You can also use this by putting 1-2 drops of Peppermint oil in a teaspoon of your favorite carrier oil (such as coconut oil or jojoba oil) and place it on the soles of the feet every morning to begin your day and give that added protection.

This is such valuable information Jennifer. I am gonna repost it in my "Killer Cat Scans" thread!

Giraffe

@Giraffe, I’ve taken it as part of a formula so I can’t speak of its effectiveness on its own, but the formula did benefit me. Any herb that targets the adrenals and thyroid should help with stress related digestive problems—berries are particularly beneficial for the endocrine system—so ones such as:
  • astragalus root
  • bayberry root
  • bee propolis
  • butcher's broom root
  • eleuthero root
  • chaste tree berry
  • cleavers
  • dandelion root & leaf
  • eleuthero root
  • juniper berry
  • kelp frond
  • parsley—whole plant
  • prickly ash bark
  • he shou wu root
  • rhodiola root
  • saw palmetto berry
  • schizandra berry
  • suma root
And for lungs:
  • bayberry root
  • chickweed
  • comfrey leaf
  • fenugreek seed
  • horehound
  • marshmallow root
  • mullein leaf
  • pleurisy root
  • slippery elm bark Slippery
  • yerba santa leaf
And for infections/micro-organisms:
  • black walnut hull
  • cape aloe leaf
  • cascara sagrada bark
  • cat's claw bark
  • cinnamon
  • clove
  • barberry root
  • butternut bark
  • ginger root
  • goldenseal root
  • nutmeg
  • olive leaf
  • oregano leaf
  • pau d'arco bark
  • peppercorn
  • peppermint leaf
  • thyme leaf
Thanks @Jennifer. How do you use those above? Added to food? Drunken as infusion? Or anything more complicated?

I have once been advised dried blueberries for diarrhea, and I have found them very helpful.

Jennifer

You're welcome, @Giraffe. :) I took most of them as part of formulas--averaging at least 6 herbs in each--in tincture form to maximize healing and always after eating to prevent nausea--I'm sensitive to tannins. The majority of the culinary herbs I use(d) in my cooking and the rest as tisanes or in the case of nettle, as a concentrate made from 178 g of herb in enough distilled water to cover it and strained through a coffee filter--makes a final product of roughly 6 oz. My mum and I found the herbal endocrine formulas to be as effective for us as our prescription thyroid (NDT--WP Thyroid) and natural progesterone (Progest-E), and herbal antimicrobial formulas to be as effective for us and our dog as prescription antibiotics. We also saved our dog’s teeth, among other things, with a general herbal formula called Heal All. Thank you for sharing your experience with dried blueberries. That’s good to know.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals