Meat With Baking Soda?

Borz

Forum Supporter
Hello, new here.

In my country we have a great meatball recipe where you mix some baking soda into the ground beef, then let it sit in the fridge for 12-24 hours, then shape into patties and cook (with more things added to the mix before making patties). I was wondering if this is a safe thing to do from Peat perspective (mixing meat with baking soda)? haidut may know this recipe as it is also a popular recipe in Balkan countries (Cevapi)

Dave Clark

What does the baking soda do to the taste of the meat? I have heard of vinegar added to meat, I have added it to a pork/beef blend with Mexican spices and it livens up the flavors, I think chorizo may be made that way.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hello, new here.

In my country we have a great meatball recipe where you mix some baking soda into the ground beef, then let it sit in the fridge for 12-24 hours, then shape into patties and cook (with more things added to the mix before making patties). I was wondering if this is a safe thing to do from Peat perspective (mixing meat with baking soda)? haidut may know this recipe as it is also a popular recipe in Balkan countries (Cevapi)
Too much sodium bicarb can lower stomach acid and cause indigestion. Meat needs a very acidic environment to digest properly.

OP
Borz

Borz

Forum Supporter
Too much sodium bicarb can lower stomach acid and cause indigestion. Meat needs a very acidic environment to digest properly.

the amount is 10g baking soda per 1 kg of ground beef, is this enough to lower stomach acid? So if I eat 200 gr meatballs in one sitting I would get 2 gr baking soda with it.

OP
Borz

Borz

Forum Supporter
What does the baking soda do to the taste of the meat? I have heard of vinegar added to meat, I have added it to a pork/beef blend with Mexican spices and it livens up the flavors, I think chorizo may be made that way.

It changes the texture and makes the meatballs very soft and bouncy/jiggly, the taste is hard to explain but it is very good

Hans

Forum Supporter
the amount is 10g baking soda per 1 kg of ground beef, is this enough to lower stomach acid? So if I eat 200 gr meatballs in one sitting I would get 2 gr baking soda with it.
I think that should be fine if your digestion is good to start with. The acid should neutralize that little bit. More than 5g might become an issue.

SOMO

Baking Soda destroys nutrients when taken with food.

Also it will lower stomach acid, which is a bad idea if you're consuming protein.

OP
Borz

Borz

Forum Supporter
I think that should be fine if your digestion is good to start with. The acid should neutralize that little bit. More than 5g might become an issue.

thank you!

OP
Borz

Borz

Forum Supporter

Also it will lower stomach acid, which is a bad idea if you're consuming protein.

that doesn’t sound good, anybody agree or disagree with SOMO? @Hans what do you think (about the destroying nutrients part)?

Aymen

RP says that taking baking soda with protein meals slows digestion down for a few minutes.

OP
Borz

Borz

Forum Supporter

I found this:

“Turns out cooking food with baking soda (a.k.a. sodium bicarbonate) can indeed damage a number of nutrients, such as vitamin C, vitamin D, riboflavin, thiamin, and one essential amino acid. Yet it doesn’t hurt others, including vitamin A, vitamin B12, niacin, and folic acid.”

I wonder which essential amino acid that is, I hope it’s tryptophan!:)

Last edited:

SOMO

RP says that taking baking soda with protein meals slows digestion down for a few minutes.

If someone is healthy and has sufficient stomach acid and pepsin, they MAY be able to get away with a bit of baking soda.

But I, personally, feel I produce inadequate stomach acid and wouldn't want to take anything that might reduce it further, even temporarily.

Proteins that escape the stomach and enter the intestines can be allergenic.

Indigestion, lack of useful bicarbonate effect, the named Maillard browning thing and high Sodiumload makes it unattractive to me.

OP
Borz

Borz

Forum Supporter
Indigestion, lack of useful bicarbonate effect, the named Maillard browning thing and high Sodiumload makes it unattractive to me.
what do you mean by "lack of useful bicarbonate effect"?

Hello, new here.

I make my meatballs, burgers and meatloaf with baking soda, and only 15 minutes or so before cooking. It not only tenderizes the meat, but it also keeps the meat from tightening and getting rubbery, it relaxes the meat.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals