Measuring Vitamin & Mineral Content via Skin?

So, about 10 years ago when I still regularly visited doctors, this one time at my then-GP, a nutritionist which I believe worked for Twinlab was giving this free mineral & vitamin content analysis. It involved, as far as I remember, holding two probes connected to some kind of device for a few seconds, then she also ran the probes over some specific sites on your body.

The device then gave her some readings and in the end you got a paper with readouts for some common vitamins & minerals like Vitamin D, B vitamins, folic acid, etc. In my case I was apparently deficient in Zinc, Vitamin D, folic acid and maybe some other B vitamin. Of course, the whole goal of this was to sell some products, so she gave me a pamphlet with TwinLab supplements. I thought she was going to tell me to buy all of them, but she said "I recommend buying the zinc. The Vitamin D you should get from sunlight, and for the B vitamins, eat more vegetables & greens".

Now, I left that appointment thinking of this test as complete BS. After all, how could some kind of handheld probe give you an accurate assessment of your vitamin & mineral status, when even a blood draw is barely representative?

Nevertheless, I did indeed spend the next 2 months eating plenty of things like bell peppers, spinach, kale, fermented sauerkraut, and the like (bear with me, this was a few months before I heard of Ray Peat). I also sunbathed extensively. And so about 2 months later, I re-did this test again out of sheer curiosity, and lo and behold her comment was "Well well, someone has been eating a lot of leafy greens." Her device showed that my B vitamins & folic acid were now perfect, the only thing still slightly low was my vitamin D.

I suppose she could have just made all of that up to make it seem like her recommendations & products were working, but why go through the effort if the only thing she "sold" me was some Zinc? Since then I've been curious if such a thing is actually scientifically plausible, but I cannot find any mention of a device of this sort anywhere online, except this which is a phone app and was invented about 2 years after this happened...

I'm interested to hear if anyone has a clue about what kind of device this might've been and whether it has any validity.

Heel&Toe

Maybe it was it something like a "bio-energetic screening system" from the likes of Asyra. "Asyra" is a brand name. Sorry I don't know much about it. Once I went to a natural health centre and they used it.