Measuring Eggshell Calcium

M

marikay

Hello. I am wondering if anyone here has a definitive (or at least semi-definitive) answer to how much calcium is in 1/4 teaspoon of eggshell calcium. I know it depends paritally on how finely ground the eggshell is but I have come across two very different approximations and don’t know which to count on.

Thanks in advance.

YourUniverse

Hey, @Dan Wich of toxinless.com has a good article about eggshell calcium (Using eggshells as a source of calcium - Toxinless). Eggshells are ~39% calcium; roughly 400mg calcium per gram powder.

I tried making eggshell powder this morning, but the state of cleanliness of the shells didnt sit well with me, so I stopped. Does anyone have a foolproof method for cleaning the shells? I stored them in a bowl in the fridge while collecting them, then boiled for half an hour.

OP
M

marikay

Hey, @Dan Wich of toxinless.com has a good article about eggshell calcium (Using eggshells as a source of calcium - Toxinless). Eggshells are ~39% calcium; roughly 400mg calcium per gram powder.

I tried making eggshell powder this morning, but the state of cleanliness of the shells didnt sit well with me, so I stopped. Does anyone have a foolproof method for cleaning the shells? I stored them in a bowl in the fridge while collecting them, then boiled for half an hour.

I only boil them for a few minutes (like 10) but then I put them on a cookie sheet and bake them in the oven at 200 degrees for ten more minutes. I also make sure I make the eggshell calcium on a fairly regular basis (once every week or two) so the eggshell doesn’t sit around for long.

Thanks for the reply on the measurement.

Mossy

Does anyone see a disadvantage to putting the egg shell calcium in a large gelatin capsule, versus having to put it in liquid? I can easily fit 1g/400mg elemental calcium in a large capsule.

moringa

i just measured 1/4 tsp. of finely powdered eggshells on a very sensitive scale which measures to mcg...
1/4 tsp or eggshell powder = exactly 2 grams.
So this 1/4 tsp.(2g) of eggshell powder contains 800mg elemental calcium?

Mossy

i just measured 1/4 tsp. of finely powdered eggshells on a very sensitive scale which measures to mcg...
1/4 tsp or eggshell powder = exactly 2 grams.
So this 1/4 tsp.(2g) of eggshell powder contains 800mg elemental calcium?
According to toxinless.com, that is the correct calculation: "If you need a precise dosage, a sensitive scale will be important. There should be around 400mg of elemental calcium in 1000mg of the eggshell powder."

Blossom

Forum Supporter