Meal Frequency And Your Experience

superhuman

Hello

I know RP and others recommend eating as often as possible. Even every hour can be good if your in a terrible state, just to keep stress hormones and everything down. So sipping on OJ and milk etc will be great.

Has anyone experienced here with different meal frequencies? fewer vs more

In studies it has showed that in terms of metabolism it does not matter how often you eat. Like 2500 calories eaten in 2 meals vs 8 meals did not make a difference. I guess that is why Intermittent fasting is also getting so much success and rave. Its also hard to deny the insane results alot of the people are getting esp from the intermittent fasting style where you fast 16 hours and eat 8 hours. They loose fat, maintain or build muscle on it

Would love to hear your experiences with it.

mt_dreams

I did intermittent fasting prior to implementing some of the peat's findings. Variations of IF that I did was an 8 hour window for eating, 6 hour window for eating, down to only about 3-4 hour window for eating. I also tried an IF consisting of ketogenic principles back when I thought sugar was evil. With all of these my hands & feet were frequently cold, and when I did get around to checking my temp, it was well below what is ideal. My goal was not weight driven, but I did slim down easily in this protocol, though I've never had a hard time trimming winter flab, so my body makeup may have helped in this circumstance. The most success I had with a IF "type" protocol was the 'warrior diet' where you eat things like fruit, yogurt, fresh veggies, etc, during the day, with one large protein driven meal in the evening.

I still utilize some of the warrior diet principles, but have taken to Peat's science, so that makes up the majority of my practices. I'm currently observing my body b/w the differences of my calories divided equally throughout the day, compared to small amounts for most hours, with one large meal to make up the rest. I'm done with total IF as in 16 hours of no food, it's too cold where I live. Also I've noticed that during the winter I do better with my large meal taking place in the day, followed by a carrot salad a couple hour later. Whereas in the summer, I do much better snacking lightly during the day, with my large meal around sundown.

IF seems to fix things at a decent rate when thyroid is not involved, but with anyone with low thyroid, it just seems like there are more negatives than positives.

OP
S

superhuman

Its just i know RP says 6-7 meals are ideal in terms of metabolism and fat loss but so many bodybuilders and researches that live and breath this stuff say that meal frequency based on a 24 hour window does not matter in terms of metabolism

mt_dreams

superhuman said:
Its just i know RP says 6-7 meals are ideal in terms of metabolism and fat loss but so many bodybuilders and researches that live and breath this stuff say that meal frequency based on a 24 hour window does not matter in terms of metabolism
I've yet to hear of any one point in nutrition not rebutted by someone with the proper credentials, it's exhausting to say the least. That being said, Ray's diet is definitely aimed at keeping stress low, and thyroid high in the hope you will stay healthy as you age. Ray isn't all that big on building extra muscle, but if building muscle is your goal, then adjusting your sugar intake to only after your exercise (being in a ketogenic state beforehand) will probably add size. Ray has brought up many points with regards to the stressors of exercise on the body (as well the stressors of not providing sugar in the morning to combat cortisol). I would much prefer to try and moderate any of those fluctuations with sugar beforehand, than the possibly of slightly adding more muscle by avoiding that food group beforehand.

When you hear of someone saying that meal frequency with regards to a 24 hour day does not matter, they are usually speaking from a macro-nutritional point of view, as in, it all slowly turns into energy & amino acids. Ray's reasons for taking in sugar multiple times a day has to do with my above paragraph, along with controlling insulin regulation in the form of smaller meals ... I think

Jsaute21

@haidut when your pulse/temps were lower did you find you had to eat more often? I am curious the ways in which you were able to bring up pulse. It has been the one stubborn variable for me a couple of months in to my journey.

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut when your pulse/temps were lower did you find you had to eat more often? I am curious the ways in which you were able to bring up pulse. It has been the one stubborn variable for me a couple of months in to my journey.

I actually had lower appetite when pulse/temps were lower. As things gradually improved over the course of a year or so so did appetite and then pulse/temps followed.

Jsaute21

I actually had lower appetite when pulse/temps were lower. As things gradually improved over the course of a year or so so did appetite and then pulse/temps followed.
Yeah, that makes sense. I guess how long did it take for you to improve liver glycogen storage? Sustained heat so to speak.