Mead Acid

repeat

Searching for more on mead acid, I found this discussion quite interesting:

http://www.waiworld.com/waitalk/phpBB3/ ... =20&t=3356

For anyone wanting to discuss mead acid specifically, use this thread!

It would be interesting to get a better picture of this fatty acid and it's function in our bodies....

In relation to thyroid function/ metabolism, is mead acid in itself a metabolism-booster- unlike PUFAs?

4peatssake

Ray Peat said:
If we didn't eat linoleic acid and the other so-called "essential fatty acids," we would produce large amounts of the "Mead acid," n-9 eicosatrienoic acid, and its derivatives. This acid in itself is antiinflammatory, and its derivatives have a variety of antistress actions. The universal toxicity of the polyunsaturated fats that suppress the Mead fats as they accumulate, and the remarkable vitality of the animals that live on a diet deficient in the essential fatty acids, indicate that the Mead fats are important factors in the stability of our mammalian tissues. This protective lipid system probably interacts with cellular proteins, modifying the way they bind water and carbon dioxide and ions, affecting their electrons and their chemical reactivity.

If salicylic acid and the structurally similar antiinflammatories, local anesthetics, muscle relaxants, expectorants, and antihistamines, act as surrogates for the absent Mead acid family, and thereby act as defenses against all the toxic effects of the unstable fats, it would explain the breadth and apparent coherence of their usefulness. And at the same time it explains some of the ways that estrogen goes out of control, when it exacerbates the toxicity of the accumulated unstable fats.

Source: Aspirin, brain, and cancer

Ray Peat said:
The enzyme that produces the Mead fatty acid is strongly inhibited by PUFA seed oils (less strongly by fish oils), and so the presence of the Mead acid in the tissues is taken as evidence that the animal is suffering damage resulting from the absence of PUFA. The Mead acid happens to have some valuable anti-inflammatory effects, and is associated with many biological advantages, but research in that direction is prevented by the lack of funding.

Source: Suitable Fats, Unsuitable Fats: Issues in Nutrition

OP
R

repeat

Thank you 4peatssake!

I had read that, but Rays articles are so full of information, it's difficult to remember everything.

The underlined part goes well with this reference http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9307941 from the discussion I linked - "pufa-deficiency" mice had less edema...
Maybe RP has it in his references, I havn't checked that out.

4peatssake

repeat said:
Thank you 4peatssake!

I had read that, but Rays articles are so full of information, it's difficult to remember everything.
I hear that! And this is where Dan Wich's Ray Peat Search Engine comes in handy. ;)

repeat said:
The underlined part goes well with this reference http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9307941 from the discussion I linked - "pufa-deficiency" mice had less edema...
Maybe RP has it in his references, I havn't checked that out.
Yes, he cites this study in Unsaturated fatty acids: Nutritionally essential, or toxic?

I took a brief look at the discussion but I find it a waste of my time and energy reviewing information coming from folks who think PUFAs are healthy. To tedious and mind numbing. :roll:

There is just so much bad information out there and bad science that one needs to be very careful, IMO.

What I did find interesting is Ray's comment that there is no funding being earmarked to study Mead acid. Something to ponder.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
4peatssake said:
What I did find interesting is Ray's comment that there is no funding being earmarked to study Mead acid. Something to ponder.

:tinfoilhat

Imagine that.