Mead Acid

repeat

Searching for more on mead acid, I found this discussion quite interesting:

http://www.waiworld.com/waitalk/phpBB3/ ... =20&t=3356

For anyone wanting to discuss mead acid specifically, use this thread!

It would be interesting to get a better picture of this fatty acid and it's function in our bodies....

In relation to thyroid function/ metabolism, is mead acid in itself a metabolism-booster- unlike PUFAs?

4peatssake

Ray Peat said:
If we didn't eat linoleic acid and the other so-called "essential fatty acids," we would produce large amounts of the "Mead acid," n-9 eicosatrienoic acid, and its derivatives. This acid in itself is antiinflammatory, and its derivatives have a variety of antistress actions. The universal toxicity of the polyunsaturated fats that suppress the Mead fats as they accumulate, and the remarkable vitality of the animals that live on a diet deficient in the essential fatty acids, indicate that the Mead fats are important factors in the stability of our mammalian tissues. This protective lipid system probably interacts with cellular proteins, modifying the way they bind water and carbon dioxide and ions, affecting their electrons and their chemical reactivity.

If salicylic acid and the structurally similar antiinflammatories, local anesthetics, muscle relaxants, expectorants, and antihistamines, act as surrogates for the absent Mead acid family, and thereby act as defenses against all the toxic effects of the unstable fats, it would explain the breadth and apparent coherence of their usefulness. And at the same time it explains some of the ways that estrogen goes out of control, when it exacerbates the toxicity of the accumulated unstable fats.

Source: Aspirin, brain, and cancer

Ray Peat said:
The enzyme that produces the Mead fatty acid is strongly inhibited by PUFA seed oils (less strongly by fish oils), and so the presence of the Mead acid in the tissues is taken as evidence that the animal is suffering damage resulting from the absence of PUFA. The Mead acid happens to have some valuable anti-inflammatory effects, and is associated with many biological advantages, but research in that direction is prevented by the lack of funding.

Source: Suitable Fats, Unsuitable Fats: Issues in Nutrition

repeat

Thank you 4peatssake!

I had read that, but Rays articles are so full of information, it's difficult to remember everything.

The underlined part goes well with this reference http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9307941 from the discussion I linked - "pufa-deficiency" mice had less edema...
Maybe RP has it in his references, I havn't checked that out.

4peatssake

repeat said:
Thank you 4peatssake!

I had read that, but Rays articles are so full of information, it's difficult to remember everything.
I hear that! And this is where Dan Wich's Ray Peat Search Engine comes in handy. ;)

repeat said:
The underlined part goes well with this reference http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9307941 from the discussion I linked - "pufa-deficiency" mice had less edema...
Maybe RP has it in his references, I havn't checked that out.
Yes, he cites this study in Unsaturated fatty acids: Nutritionally essential, or toxic?

I took a brief look at the discussion but I find it a waste of my time and energy reviewing information coming from folks who think PUFAs are healthy. To tedious and mind numbing. :roll:

There is just so much bad information out there and bad science that one needs to be very careful, IMO.

What I did find interesting is Ray's comment that there is no funding being earmarked to study Mead acid. Something to ponder.

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
4peatssake said:
What I did find interesting is Ray's comment that there is no funding being earmarked to study Mead acid. Something to ponder.

:tinfoilhat

Imagine that.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
T Ray's Thoughts On Walt Kempner's Findings. Mead Acid Production Miscellaneous Health Discussions 13
ecstatichamster Anyone Tried Eating More Mead Acid Diet 4
J Mead Acid Production / PUFA Intake Polyunsaturated Fats, Seed Oils 8
S Post Workout Lactic Acid Cortisol, Serotonin, Histamine 16
Mauritio Caprylic acid is anti-bacterial, lowers IL-8, helps Glioblastoma Fats 0
Mauritio Caprylic acid effective against Candida albicans , H. Pylori and Cytomegalovirus, more effective than diflucan Science 13
Mauritio Caprylic acid and Thymol very effective against Candida albicans Science 10
mayku-T-meelo Aspirin/Acetylsallicylic acid - source in Europe? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 9
H Cardiolipin and linoleic acid Metabolism 0
paciencia Low Stomach Acid/Bloating/Silent Reflux Ask For Help or Advice 7
Highserotonin90 Inhibit / slow down excessive Fatty acid oxidation (FAO). Experiments 18
I 2008 Study ; Comparison of lipid and fatty acid profiles of commercially raised pigs with laboratory pigs and wild-ranging warthogs Scientific Studies 0
Lokzo Glycine Reduces NAFLD by modulating fatty acid oxidation, glutathione synthesis, and the gut microbiome - 2020 Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 20
Peroxphos Where to buy bulk succinate / succinic acid in Europe? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 6
R DSMO with hyaluronic acid Skin 1
K Found A Gem For Starters - Prevention Of Arachidonic Acid‑induced Liver Injury With Garlic Extracts Meet & Greet 5
haidut Melanoma Defined By Increased Fatty Acid Synthesis And Unsaturation Scientific Studies 0
lvysaur Poll: Heartburn (acid Reflux) And Blood Types Digestion, Gut Flora 1
ddjd Thoughts On Folic Acid During Pregnancy? Methylfolate Or Folinic Acid Better? Ask For Help or Advice 7
L September 2020 - Very Interesting Newsletter On Lactic Acid Articles & Newsletters Discussion 45
Amazigh Astronomers Report They’ve Detected The Amino Acid Glycine In The Atmosphere Of Venus Miscellaneous Health Discussions 12
F Is Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) Supplement Safe? Supplements 0
Sexypizza Does Anyone Know Where I Can Buy Camphoric Acid? Digestion 5
jamies33 Is Conjugated Linoleic Acid A PUFA? Milk 0
Amazoniac Using (the Term) 'Lactic Acid' In Physiology Is Dangerous, Should Be Regulated As Drugs Acidity vs. Alkalinity 19
J Ox Bile/Bile Acid Dependency Digestion 2
Hans The Dope On Blocking Fatty Acid Oxidation Articles & Scientific Studies 83
G Cheese Lowest In Lactic Acid Diet, Recipes 15
A Do Carbonated/acidic Beverages Help Protein Digestion In Low Stomach Acid Environment? Ask For Help or Advice 15
C Baking Soda And Stomach Acid Digestion 14
CalebxDane My Doctor This Stomach Ulcers Are Caused By Too Much Stomach Acid Ask For Help or Advice 7
shine Question Regarding Fatty Acid Profile Of Low Fat Milk Milk 7
Hans Agmatine Is A Natural Amino Acid With Amazing Health Benefits Articles & Scientific Studies 40
M Folic Acid, Methyfolate, Is There An Alternative? Ask For Help or Advice 4
A People Trying To Lose Weight Should Use Stearic Acid Ask For Help or Advice 29
zarrin77 Theacrine Powerfully Lowers Serotonin, Increases Dopamine, And Slashes Lactic Acid From Stress Scientific Studies 16
N Phytic Acid & Interactions With Other Foods Miscellaneous Health Discussions 17
Jam (Preprint) α-Lipoic Acid For Critically Ill Patients With Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Scientific Studies 0
GorillaHead Is Azelaic Acid Peaty? P53 Inducer? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 1
LLight Salicylic Acid Sans Aspirin In Animals And Man Aspirin 0
haidut Fatty Acid Oxidation (FAO) Inhibition Abrogates Triple-negative Breast Cancer Scientific Studies 2
md_a Bioelectric Fields, Regeneration, And The Lactic Acid Myth Ray Peat Quotes 6
Jake sullivan Fatty Acid Composition Of Young Adults Analysis Polyunsaturated Fats, Seed Oils 8
G "Can Essential Fatty Acid Deficiency Predispose To AIDS?" Polyunsaturated Fats, Seed Oils 36
Lewis Acid Hand Disinfectant W/ Urea & Citric Acid Scientific Studies 6
H Novel Targets For Fast Antidepressant Responses (Creatine, Agmatine, Guanosine, Ascorbic Acid) Supplements 1
JanP Are Bacillus Subtilis And B. Licheniformis Probiotics Peaty? Lactic Acid Production Ask For Help or Advice 14
Ben Stone Peat Very Wrong On Lactic Acid / Yogurt? Yoghurt, Kefir 41
Hans Succinic Acid For Metformin Induced Lactic Acidosis Scientific Studies 2
L Erucic Acid: The Omega-9 Fatty Acid Bad Enough To Scare Even Vegetable Oil Growers? Diet 1