MDMA Increases Serotonin Receptor Density Long Term

ddjd

I found this study which says this;

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/11850153/

"In recent MDMA users, post-synaptic 5-HT(2A) receptor densities were significantly lower in all cortical areas studied, while 5-HT(2A) receptor densities were significantly higher in the occipital cortex of ex-MDMA users. The combined results of this study suggest a compensatory upregulation of post-synaptic 5-HT(2A) receptors in the occipital cortex of ex-MDMA users due to low synaptic 5-HT levels."

Am I correct in thinking this basically means it lowers Serotonin levels short term but increases them significantly long term (obviously very bad from a peat perspective)

Dhair

I found this study which says this;

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/11850153/

"In recent MDMA users, post-synaptic 5-HT(2A) receptor densities were significantly lower in all cortical areas studied, while 5-HT(2A) receptor densities were significantly higher in the occipital cortex of ex-MDMA users. The combined results of this study suggest a compensatory upregulation of post-synaptic 5-HT(2A) receptors in the occipital cortex of ex-MDMA users due to low synaptic 5-HT levels."

Am I correct in thinking this basically means it lowers Serotonin levels short term but increases them significantly long term (obviously very bad from a peat perspective)
Pretty sure it significantly raises cortisol. I think Ray said in an email correspondence that one low dose might be good for reversing learned helplessness. Some people have gotten really messed up by higher doses. High dose MDMA abuse is much more common in Europe than in the US.

OP
ddjd

ddjd

Pretty sure it significantly raises cortisol. I think Ray said in an email correspondence that one low dose might be good for reversing learned helplessness. Some people have gotten really messed up by higher doses. High dose MDMA abuse is much more common in Europe than in the US.
Yeah I'm in Europe and everyone's on it. So high cortisol and high Serotonin. Terrible.

The biggest problem with MDMA is the hydroxydopamine/alpha-methyldopamine metabolites which are extremely neurotoxic aka fry your brain.

See here: MDMA Neurotoxicity Part 1 Metabolites) • r/DrugNerds

Grapefruit juice, anti-oxidants, red light, and keeping your body temp cool I think should cover most of the damage.

Oftentimes the neurotoxicity is cited as being caused by extreme dopamine/serotonin release, but I doubt this very much. There's plenty of drugs with the comparable release rates that don't cause nearly the same neurotoxicty. Though the intense monoamine release def contributes to the depression afterwards, the feeling of burnout, and maybe somewhat to the neurotoxictiy.

RobertJM

Whenever I used to take ecstasy pills (and whatever else contained within the tablets), the comedown was always horrendous and harsh (followed by horrible depression). With MDMA powder, there was never a comedown. Just an afterglow. Perhaps due to the acute reduction in serotonin.

The euphoria isn't caused by cortisol. Sure cortisol can feel good, but the euphoria of MDMA is something else entirely. Just my two cents!

sladerunner69

The biggest problem with MDMA is the hydroxydopamine/alpha-methyldopamine metabolites which are extremely neurotoxic aka fry your brain.

See here: MDMA Neurotoxicity Part 1 Metabolites) • r/DrugNerds

Grapefruit juice, anti-oxidants, red light, and keeping your body temp cool I think should cover most of the damage.

Oftentimes the neurotoxicity is cited as being caused by extreme dopamine/serotonin release, but I doubt this very much. There's plenty of drugs with the comparable release rates that don't cause nearly the same neurotoxicty. Though the intense monoamine release def contributes to the depression afterwards, the feeling of burnout, and maybe somewhat to the neurotoxictiy.

Grapefruit juice impairs the liver.