MCTs Sufficient For Hormone Synthesis And Absorption Of Fat-soluble Vitamins On Low PUFA & Fat Diet

BigChad

peat said it gave him a goat like stink

Coconut Oil

Unless I misunderstood the article

Interesting article, looks like coconut oil is better than even butter, beef fat, milk fat etc. I wonder why mcts cause that body odor. I was gonna have 15g mcts a day. Also interesting Ray added more calories from coconut oil and lost weight from it.

Would any virgin, organic coconut oil be fine, even if it's made in Vietnam, or does it need to be from specific areas, certain type.

I heard mcts decrease intestinal inflammation.

OP
milkboi

milkboi

"Absorption of vitamin E was higher for both normal dogs and those with controlled EPI when fed diets with 35% of the fat (by weight) provided by MCTs compared to diets fed with 0% MCTs.39 The authors speculated that the effect may have been a result of enhanced absorption of vitamin E into portal circulation (vs. via lymphatics) as seen in other species when fed MCTs.”

Fat Soluble Vitamins - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics

L

Lord Cola

Interesting article, looks like coconut oil is better than even butter, beef fat, milk fat etc. I wonder why mcts cause that body odor. I was gonna have 15g mcts a day. Also interesting Ray added more calories from coconut oil and lost weight from it.

Would any virgin, organic coconut oil be fine, even if it's made in Vietnam, or does it need to be from specific areas, certain type.

I heard mcts decrease intestinal inflammation.
Doesn't coconut oil contain MCTs? Why do MCTs on their own cause diarrhea and goaty smell but not coconut oil?

rei

MCTs are concentrated in caprylic acid, which is readily metabolized into ketones even under normal sugar intake. Ketones will seep into every part of the body, out through the skin, breath etc. so in some combinations it might be detectable to the nose. Or second order effects like leaking ketones feeding bacteria on skin.

OP
milkboi

milkboi

"Absorption of vitamin E was higher for both normal dogs and those with controlled EPI when fed diets with 35% of the fat (by weight) provided by MCTs compared to diets fed with 0% MCTs.39 The authors speculated that the effect may have been a result of enhanced absorption of vitamin E into portal circulation (vs. via lymphatics) as seen in other species when fed MCTs.”

Fat Soluble Vitamins - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics

This seems to implicate that MCTs enhance uptake of fat-soluble. I don‘t know how this effect compares to other fatty acids tho.

SneezeStar

Fat soluble vitamins are absorbed using chylomicrons, MCT oil produces little chylomicrons. I was in the same boat as you trying to figure out if I could use mct to absorb fat soluble vitamins, I read several studies saying that mct oil makes very little chylomicrons compared to long chain fats so i use dairy fat when I take mine, I didn't save the studies.

ddjd

Fat soluble vitamins are absorbed using chylomicrons, MCT oil produces little chylomicrons. I was in the same boat as you trying to figure out if I could use mct to absorb fat soluble vitamins, I read several studies saying that mct oil makes very little chylomicrons compared to long chain fats so i use dairy fat when I take mine, I didn't save the studies.
good to know.

on a seperate note i found c8 caprylic only oil doesnt cause loose stools at all for me now. but regular mct oil still does.

SneezeStar

good to know.

on a seperate note i found c8 caprylic only oil doesnt cause loose stools at all for me now. but regular mct oil still does.

Same. I use 4 tsp caprylic acid a day, if i use capric and caprilyic my stomach turns constantly and loose stools.

schultz

I have a feeling the vitamins themselves can initiate the formation of chylomicrons, but probably not as efficiently or completely as when there is accompanying fat.

Does Ray tell people to take his progest-e with fat? I have not heard him mention this, but the progesterone relies on the vitamin E for absorption via chylomicrons so it is something to consider. It is an ideal way to take progesterone as it bypasses the liver initially and goes directly to the tissues (chylomicrons, and therefore lipids, bypass the hepatic portal system). If it didn't do this, the liver would eliminate the progesterone (as Ray has mentioned).

I wonder why mcts cause that body odor.

The word capric (for capric acid, or C10) comes from the Latin word for goat. I think caprylic and caproic acid are also named after goats AKA caprines. Apparently goats milk contains a bit of these fats (15% according to wikipedia).

Personally I like the smell of goats...

... except for the males during rut as they pee all over themselves and it smells quite strong.

One of my does smelled amazing. Goats are remarkably clean if their living space is kept reasonably tidy, partly owing to their 'pellet' poops (whereas cows make mud pies). This also means a more sanitary milking environment!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals