Mayo Clinic Vaccine Researcher Developed Tinnitus after 2nd dose of COVID vaccine

Mito

Gregory Poland, MD, director of the Mayo Clinic's Vaccine Research Group in Rochester, Minnesota, remains a steadfast vaccination advocate -- even though he developed tinnitus soon after receiving his second dose of COVID vaccine.

A little more than a year ago, Poland was driving back from the hospital after receiving his second shot when he nearly veered out of his lane.

"It was like someone suddenly blew a dog whistle in my ear," Poland told MedPage Today. "It has been pretty much unrelenting."

Since then, Poland said he has been experiencing what he describes as life-altering tinnitus, or ringing in the ear. It occurs in both ears, but is worse in the left than in the right.

He remains steadfast that opting to receive his booster -- after which his tinnitus briefly disappeared but then returned at a slightly higher pitch that made it just a bit less bothersome -- was the right move. After all, it would be "way too ironic" for a prominent vaccinologist to die of COVID, he said. He also worried about the possibility of contracting COVID and spreading it to his patients.

Yet Poland realizes his life may never be the same, and that many others may be grappling with the same reality. He continues to receive emails from other individuals across the country and around the world who say they have also developed tinnitus after COVID vaccination.

Poland believes there may be tens of thousands of people affected in the U.S. and potentially millions worldwide. He feels strongly that more research should be done to determine what caused these symptoms and what can be done to help people desperate for relief.

"What has been heartbreaking about this, as a seasoned physician, are the emails I get from people that, this has affected their life so badly, they have told me they are going to take their own life," Poland said.

Troubling Symptoms

Poland said of his own symptoms that he "can only begin to estimate the number of times I just want to scream because I can't get rid of the noise or how many hours of sleep I've lost," he said. The noise he hears is "particularly loud at night when there are no masking sounds."

On a recent evening, he had an especially difficult moment. Poland, a self-described lover of nature and the outdoors, realized that he may never be able to hear the silence of nature again, which brought tears to his eyes.

He said that he finds some comfort in his 14- to 16-hour work days that have helped him to not focus on the noise that won't cease.

"It's something that deserves attention," Poland said, pointing to the effort that has gone into defining the risk of myocarditis post-vaccination, and rightfully so, he said.

Thankfully, myocarditis often resolves within a few days of treatment, Poland noted. But with tinnitus, symptoms can persist.

The American Tinnitus Association describes the condition as audiological and neurological. Tinnitus can be acute or chronic, and many cases can be extreme and debilitating. Currently, there is no cure for most types of the condition, though there are treatment options to help patients live more comfortable and productive lives, according to the association.

Herbie

Any sane intelligent person would stop getting any vaccine and warn as many people as possible to refrain but this guy.. no wonder he can’t sleep at night.

He said it wouldn’t look good for a virologist to die of covid but looks worse if the virologist dies from the vaccine.

Peachy

Gregory Poland, MD, director of the Mayo Clinic's Vaccine Research Group in Rochester, Minnesota, remains a steadfast vaccination advocate -- even though he developed tinnitus soon after receiving his second dose of COVID vaccine.

A little more than a year ago, Poland was driving back from the hospital after receiving his second shot when he nearly veered out of his lane.

"It was like someone suddenly blew a dog whistle in my ear," Poland told MedPage Today. "It has been pretty much unrelenting."

Since then, Poland said he has been experiencing what he describes as life-altering tinnitus, or ringing in the ear. It occurs in both ears, but is worse in the left than in the right.

He remains steadfast that opting to receive his booster -- after which his tinnitus briefly disappeared but then returned at a slightly higher pitch that made it just a bit less bothersome -- was the right move. After all, it would be "way too ironic" for a prominent vaccinologist to die of COVID, he said. He also worried about the possibility of contracting COVID and spreading it to his patients.

Yet Poland realizes his life may never be the same, and that many others may be grappling with the same reality. He continues to receive emails from other individuals across the country and around the world who say they have also developed tinnitus after COVID vaccination.

Poland believes there may be tens of thousands of people affected in the U.S. and potentially millions worldwide. He feels strongly that more research should be done to determine what caused these symptoms and what can be done to help people desperate for relief.

"What has been heartbreaking about this, as a seasoned physician, are the emails I get from people that, this has affected their life so badly, they have told me they are going to take their own life," Poland said.

Troubling Symptoms

Poland said of his own symptoms that he "can only begin to estimate the number of times I just want to scream because I can't get rid of the noise or how many hours of sleep I've lost," he said. The noise he hears is "particularly loud at night when there are no masking sounds."

On a recent evening, he had an especially difficult moment. Poland, a self-described lover of nature and the outdoors, realized that he may never be able to hear the silence of nature again, which brought tears to his eyes.

He said that he finds some comfort in his 14- to 16-hour work days that have helped him to not focus on the noise that won't cease.

"It's something that deserves attention," Poland said, pointing to the effort that has gone into defining the risk of myocarditis post-vaccination, and rightfully so, he said.

Thankfully, myocarditis often resolves within a few days of treatment, Poland noted. But with tinnitus, symptoms can persist.

The American Tinnitus Association describes the condition as audiological and neurological. Tinnitus can be acute or chronic, and many cases can be extreme and debilitating. Currently, there is no cure for most types of the condition, though there are treatment options to help patients live more comfortable and productive lives, according to the association.
Interesting. This happened to a friend of mine on dose #1. It was sudden like this and bad enough to require hearing aids. She got the second dose anyway.

Ben.

Interesting. This happened to a friend of mine on dose #1. It was sudden like this and bad enough to require hearing aids. She got the second dose anyway.

Wait what ? ....

ww3not4me

I got two doses from one of the bad batches of Pfizer and never had an adverse event. Praise God! As far as I know none of my sons who got J&J, J&J and 2x Moderna. My wife never got anything from being around me and 3 sons or the people at work.

The above being said out me and my 3 sons 3 out the 4 of us have had Covid-19 4 months to 9 months after being fully vaccinated. 2 of my 3 sons are University Division 1 athletes with no comorbidities and my 3rd son is in the US Army. I am the only one in my house with any comorbidities!

ww3not4me

Why would anyone go to Mayo Clinic internet resources or web site? They dumb everything down to the point that what they are saying is of little to no value!

Troubling Symptoms

This is jaw dropping! He is more worried about how dying of the vaccine would look?! This is a classic example of the saying, “cutting your nose off to spite your face”.