Matt Stone On Peat

HDD

The only acceptable thing at Taco Bell/Long John's Silver was the Sierra Mist! :cry:

Asimov

key said:
^Yes we could find acceptable foods at basically any restaurant. But if someone wants to haribo gummi bears instead of chipotle, who cares?
I don't care what anyone does to their own body. I care when they try to give other people misguided advice. Nothing drives me crazier than misinformation.

For the record, when I go to Taco Bell I get a cantina bowl hold the cilantro sauce (ie: hold the soybean oil) and a sierra mist. I'll be the first to say it's not perfect (the meat has some PUFA and there's some additives in a handful of ingredients), but it's damned tasty, compete nutritious meal for like $4.99 that doesn't make me feel like crap.

J

j.

Asimov, I think you're right that it's not a good idea to stop eating processed food unnecessarily. Some here, however, have really annoying problems, such as SIBO, which can make you react badly to almost every processed food, due to the food additives. Probably the advice that seems more extreme come from those people.

gretchen

My avoidance of restaurant food currently is simply that I tolerated so much of it in my 30s. I'm at a point where I don't want beans with my chile or a bunch of bacon cooked in vegetable oil with my eggs florentine and polenta (also cooked in v.o.) ...... The last time I went out for desert the restaurant I patronize didn't have my gluten free cake. And the milk shakes are made with ice cream that contains carageenan. I'm not going to just order coffee most places.

J

j.

gretchen said:
And the milk shakes are made with ice cream that contains carageenan. I'm not going to just order coffee most places.

I found commercial ice creams with vegetable oils. I wonder if some restaurant ice creams also have vegetable oil.

jaketthomas

gretchen said:
Matt's crowd tolerates whatever whim he gets on. For a year or so it was something about RBTI, the study of one's pee. Now it's starches to warm you up and the end of dieting... Matt does do a lot of research, I will grant him that, and is an expert. His work now seems more about finding a way for people to add everything back in whatever amounts they want except PUFAs, which might be a step in the right direction for some. Personally, I wonder about his serotonin situation. He and some of his community seem angry and obsessive, while claiming to be chill.

I agree with what you say about Matt Stone and some of his community about being angry. I bought Matt's eBook "Diet Recovery 2", just out of curiosity. I had seen Danny Roddy mention him before in articles, so I thought I may get some insights from his dietary views. I started going on a bunch of Matt Stone discussion boards, and found a lot of angry, demeaning discussions, lots of arrogance, lots of negativity. Meanwhile, on this Ray Peat board, there's a lot of open discussion, and seemingly even-keeled, kind people. I also watched a few Matt Stone videos on YouTube and there's just something about him I don't like. I don't like his energy. Like, there's anger/negativity bubbling beneath the surface every time he speaks.

What I found, is that you have to be VERY careful on the Ray Peat diet about taking in too much fluid, without enough salt. You need 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp of sea salt for every 16 oz. of OJ you drink. Milk should probably have about half of that amount of salt. I found that I was FREEZING cold without adequate salt, drinking the amount of fluid Ray Peat recommends.

Attachments

• The evolution of the serotonergic system.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 109

jyb

j. said:
gretchen said:
And the milk shakes are made with ice cream that contains carageenan. I'm not going to just order coffee most places.

I found commercial ice creams with vegetable oils. I wonder if some restaurant ice creams also have vegetable oil.

I'm guessing many would. In the UK the ice cream with vegetable oil come from the much cheaper brands. It really is much cheaper.

key

jaketthomas said:
You need 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp of sea salt for every 16 oz. of OJ you drink.

Or you could add baking soda to OJ to make orange soda. Very good but you have to drink fast or the baking soda makes it tastes weird.

frustrated

Asimov said:
Matt is an expert only at rationalizing his own expertise, and convincing gullible internet suckers that being 50ish pounds overweight is a perfectly healthy, natural state of existence. As I said earlier, the guy is gaining 20 pounds of fat per year on his "diet" and people eat it up like fools. He's not even trying to hide it....here's Youtube screen caps...

mqdefault.jpg

7 months ago
mqdefault.jpg

10 months ago
mqdefault.jpg

1 year ago
mqdefault.jpg

mqdefault.jpg

2 years ago
mqdefault.jpg

3 years ago

LMAO. I almost choked at this.

I have nothing against the guy.. it's his gullible fans that annoy me. I get tired of them proclaiming being overweight is healthy.

gretchen

frustrated said:
Asimov said:
Matt is an expert only at rationalizing his own expertise, and convincing gullible internet suckers that being 50ish pounds overweight is a perfectly healthy, natural state of existence. As I said earlier, the guy is gaining 20 pounds of fat per year on his "diet" and people eat it up like fools. He's not even trying to hide it....here's Youtube screen caps...

mqdefault.jpg

7 months ago
mqdefault.jpg

10 months ago
mqdefault.jpg

1 year ago
mqdefault.jpg

mqdefault.jpg

2 years ago
mqdefault.jpg

3 years ago

LMAO. I almost choked at this.

I have nothing against the guy.. it's his gullible fans that annoy me. I get tired of them proclaiming being overweight is healthy.

Central to Matt's work is dispelling the belief that thin/skinny (or maybe even "normal")= healthy. He's bigger than he was when he started, but I'm not sure I would say fat.

I gained about 10 lbs the 6 weeks I followed his suggestions and since have lost about 7 lbs of it (which now may qualify me officially as a yo-yoer). So no, I'm not down with the whole idea of gaining a ton of weight just to make my hands and feet warm.

chris

key said:
jaketthomas said:

Or you could add baking soda to OJ to make orange soda. Very good but you have to drink fast or the baking soda makes it tastes weird.

I don't quite understand this, can baking soda replace salt?

kiran

chris said:
key said:
jaketthomas said:

I don't quite understand this, can baking soda replace salt?

Yes, it provides sodium which is why we add salt.

Jenn

Baking soda supplies sodium and bicarbonate, salt supplies sodium and chloride (and possibly trace minerals depending on the kind of salt). Sodium is mandatory for the absorption of nutrients from the intestines. Bicarbonate aids the pancreas and the kidneys, chloride aids the stomach. They are similar but not identical.

chris

I never knew baking soda had so much sodium. Would there be any drawbacks to using baking soda as the sole sodium source?

asajulian

jaketthomas said:
What I found, is that you have to be VERY careful on the Ray Peat diet about taking in too much fluid, without enough salt. You need 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp of sea salt for every 16 oz. of OJ you drink. Milk should probably have about half of that amount of salt. I found that I was FREEZING cold without adequate salt, drinking the amount of fluid Ray Peat recommends.

I have found this to be VERY VERY true. It amazes me that I have never heard anyone call up on his interviews and mention this. It is the greatest weakness of Peat's dietary recommendations. I've noticed a lot of beneficial changes eating bread and similar dry items, along with the fluids as well. The winter months obviously makes it even more imperative to get enough salt if you are drinking so much liquid.

jaketthomas

I agree, asajulian. I had never seen it addressed before, until I read Matt Stone's latest book. I read about excess fluid making a hypothyroid person cold, and I was like, "WOW! Never thought of that!". And ever since, I find it 100% rings true with me. I drink a lot of fluid, my body temp PLUMMETS. If I'm taking in a ton of fluid (which I rarely do now), I find the way to balance it is sea salt... A LOT of sea salt. I have taken upwards of 6 tsp of sea salt (480% RDA) in a day before. The only side effect was feeling super calm, sleeping like a rock, and having a body temp of 98.4. :)

He doesn't seem to be too popular here, but Matt Stone does have a few terrific insights. But the main one was reducing my fluid intake and upping my salt intake, which has done wonders for me. That insight alone was well worth the $9.95 I spent on the book.

I just also wanted to add, that I agree 10000000% with Ansimov about being overly strict with Ray Peat "approved" foods. Early on, I found myself going hungry, instead of making other food choices. And going hungry made my hands and feet freezing cold, so I realized that was just as stressful to my body as eating "non-approved" foods would be! And just for the record, lots of "Peat Approved" foods don't agree with my body. Coffee, OJ, and cheese being top offenders. In all honestly, I digest chocolate chip cookies better than I digest coffee or OJ, lol.

jb4566

I don't mean to bump an old thread but I just read this comment on matt's blog about peat:

"Ray is incredibly intelligent, and his prioritization of a high metabolic rate, the minimization of stress hormones and inflammation, and favortism of the parasympathetic I cannot disagree with. But it is all theory and no practicality. He hasn’t come up with a way to achieve what he is trying to achieve, for the most part. For example, he is right that it is good to keep sugar levels from tanking, and dropping sugar levels are indicative of a low metabolism – and in turn cause things like nightmares, seizures, migraines, fatigue, and so on. But follow his diet and you will likely find your sugar levels tanking more than ever, following a wild roller coaster ride, especially if you consume things like juice, fruit, and ice cream late in the evening. I would always wake up starving and wide awake at 3-4am following some of Peat’s ideas (a massive surge of stress hormones!). I also ballooned up to a sexy 210 pounds, which was chubby enough not to film any youtube videos for 5 months! He also wants to minimize inflammation, which is great! But again, his ideas don’t necessarily achieve that. I had much more pain, inflammation, difficulty recovering from exercise, and so on when trying to apply his ideas. In short, Ray Peat = great objectives and no clue how to achieve them."

Is it possible that this is behind Matt's weight gain? He still seems kind of chubby though even though this post is from 2011

jaa

lol seems like Matt is passing the buck.

My personal experience about drinking fruit juice and eating ice cream late at night is in exact opposition to Matt's. Does that mean Peat is right? Nope. And for the exact same reason Matt's personal experience can't be taken as a standalone argument that Peat's ideas don't work in practice.

And it should go without saying that Matt has a vested interest in promoting the view given in his quote.