haidut

Forum Supporter
I posted several studies recently about maternal hypothyroidism and stress being linked to autism, as well as the use of serotonin antagonist to reverse autism pathology in an animal model. This study adds more weight to the serotonin-autism connection. It showed that triggering flu-like symptoms and the release of endotoxin in the pregnant mother raised serotonin several-fold and caused brain damage and behavioral abnormality in offspring reminiscent of autism.

Neuropsychopharmacology - Placental Source for 5-HT that Tunes Fetal Brain Development
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22001683
Maternal inflammation boosts serotonin and impairs fetal brain development in mice
http://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-05-maternal-inflammation-boosts-serotonin-impairs.html

"...To answer these questions, they injected pregnant mice with either an immune-stimulating compound or a placebo 12 days into the pregnancy. The compound produces a mild inflammatory response in mice as well as causes brain and behavioral deficits in their offspring. After either 24 or 48 hours, the team analyzed the maternal blood, placenta, and fetal brains. In addition to having more inflammatory molecules in their blood streams, the treated mice had more than double the amount of tryptophan in their placentas 24 hours after the injection. After 48 hours, tryptophan levels had returned to normal, but the enzyme converting tryptophan into serotonin, tryptophan hydroxylase, was more active in treated mice. A separate experiment demonstrated that treated placenta produced four times as much serotonin. Finally, while the researchers found the offspring of treated mice had higher levels of serotonin in their brains, they also had fewer serotonin-containing nerve cells. The results suggest maternal inflammation increases the amount of serotonin in the placenta and the fetal brain, impairing the growth of serotonin nerve cells, the researchers say. The results "represent a paradigm shift for the effect of inflammation on the fetal brain development," said Irina Burd, an associate professor of gynecology and obstetrics at Johns Hopkins University who studies fetal brain development and was not involved in the study. "It may be possible that there are several ways that maternal inflammation may impact the fetal brain, and one of the mechanisms is through aberrant neurotransmitter levels.""

Last edited:

jaguar43

I posted several studies recently about maternal hypothyroidism and stress being linked to autism, as well as the use of serotonin antagonist to reverse autism pathology in an animal model. This study adds more weight to the serotonin-autism connection. It showed that triggering flu-like symptoms and the release of endotoxin in the pregnant mother raised serotonin several-fold and caused brain damage and behavioral abnormality in offspring reminiscent of autism.

Maternal inflammation boosts serotonin and impairs fetal brain development in mice
http://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-05-maternal-inflammation-boosts-serotonin-impairs.html

"...To answer these questions, they injected pregnant mice with either an immune-stimulating compound or a placebo 12 days into the pregnancy. The compound produces a mild inflammatory response in mice as well as causes brain and behavioral deficits in their offspring. After either 24 or 48 hours, the team analyzed the maternal blood, placenta, and fetal brains. In addition to having more inflammatory molecules in their blood streams, the treated mice had more than double the amount of tryptophan in their placentas 24 hours after the injection. After 48 hours, tryptophan levels had returned to normal, but the enzyme converting tryptophan into serotonin, tryptophan hydroxylase, was more active in treated mice. A separate experiment demonstrated that treated placenta produced four times as much serotonin. Finally, while the researchers found the offspring of treated mice had higher levels of serotonin in their brains, they also had fewer serotonin-containing nerve cells. The results suggest maternal inflammation increases the amount of serotonin in the placenta and the fetal brain, impairing the growth of serotonin nerve cells, the researchers say. The results "represent a paradigm shift for the effect of inflammation on the fetal brain development," said Irina Burd, an associate professor of gynecology and obstetrics at Johns Hopkins University who studies fetal brain development and was not involved in the study. "It may be possible that there are several ways that maternal inflammation may impact the fetal brain, and one of the mechanisms is through aberrant neurotransmitter levels.""

I keep wondering if vaccines have anything to do with autism. It's usual that vaccines are given during the same time that babies show signs of autism, so it would be logical to blame it on that, but with this study it shows that it's much more complex.

postman

I keep wondering if vaccines have anything to do with autism. It's usual that vaccines are given during the same time that babies show signs of autism, so it would be logical to blame it on that, but with this study it shows that it's much more complex.
It could have multiple different causes.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Well, I think the evidence points to the issue of any significantly stressful event during pregnancy or early childhood. Thyroid status of both mother and child would determine how much impact that stressful event would have. But inflammation, sickness, vaccines, family trouble, etc can all qualify as such events. When Peat was asked about vaccines he said they are "stressful" for the organism. So, they are simply a specific example of something that can cause autism if thyroid function is suboptimal.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
What is meant with this sentence? Wouldn't that be beneficial, having less serotonin nerve cells?

I think they meant "receptors". In general a high amount of serotonin or a serotonin agonist would decrease the number of serotonin "receptors" in the cell. It is an adaptation to high serotonin levels but the main issue is the high serotonin which affects the organism systemically. It will lower metabolism, cause fibrosis, hypogonadism, etc in addition to the brain damage. The receptors are irrelevant.

grabster

Hey haidut, what do you think about this theory: acetominophen raising serotonin, which increases chance of autism.

It explains alot
1) the vaccine link, since vaccines cause a fever that is often treated with acetominiphen.
2) why circumcised boys have a much greater chance of autism, since days of acetominophen are recommended after circumcision.
3) The correlation between acetominophen use and autism diagnosis.
4) low incidence of autism in cuba, where acetominophen is under embargo

Lots of studies here, along with a theory about acetominophen affecting glutathione, but I think the serotonin link is stronger:
www.autismstudies.net

Also, two engineers are more likely to have an autistic child. Engineers (yours truly) are like robots running around all hopped up on serotonin, which I would guess affects the serotonin status of the child.

dfspcc20

Hey haidut, what do you think about this theory: acetominophen raising serotonin, which increases chance of autism.

I've seen links to that as well:

TYLENOL AND AUTISM
Babies and children often get Tylenol (acetaminophen) after receiving a vaccination, and today many pediatricians are recommending a dose of Tylenol just before the vaccine, and even on a daily basis up to five days before the vaccine, in order to counteract the frequent post-vaccination high fever reaction. In an October 2013 webinar (www.greatplainslaboratory. com/home/eng/Acetaminophen.asp) endocrine expert William Shaw, PhD, makes the case that it is this allegedly “safe” over-the-counter painkiller that triggers autism in susceptible children, not the vaccination itself. Acetaminophen depletes glutathione, the body’s key cellular enzyme for antioxidant activity. Especially in children, a drop in glutathione may cause buildup of toxins and trigger brain changes. Dr. Shaw points out that in Cuba, the vaccination rate against measles is 99.7 percent, but the rate of autism there is about three hundred times lower than in the U.S. The reason may be that acetaminophen is not given to children after vaccinations in Cuba; in fact, acetaminophen is not approved for over-the-counter use in Cuba.

jaguar43

I've seen links to that as well:

TYLENOL AND AUTISM
Babies and children often get Tylenol (acetaminophen) after receiving a vaccination, and today many pediatricians are recommending a dose of Tylenol just before the vaccine, and even on a daily basis up to five days before the vaccine, in order to counteract the frequent post-vaccination high fever reaction. In an October 2013 webinar (www.greatplainslaboratory. com/home/eng/Acetaminophen.asp) endocrine expert William Shaw, PhD, makes the case that it is this allegedly “safe” over-the-counter painkiller that triggers autism in susceptible children, not the vaccination itself. Acetaminophen depletes glutathione, the body’s key cellular enzyme for antioxidant activity. Especially in children, a drop in glutathione may cause buildup of toxins and trigger brain changes. Dr. Shaw points out that in Cuba, the vaccination rate against measles is 99.7 percent, but the rate of autism there is about three hundred times lower than in the U.S. The reason may be that acetaminophen is not given to children after vaccinations in Cuba; in fact, acetaminophen is not approved for over-the-counter use in Cuba.

That is interesting regarding the vaccination rate in Cuba and the autism rate. I think Tylenol can increase serotonin in the brain. That makes more sense than the vaccine theory in my opinion. Tylenol is extremely overrate and possibly dangerous.

Makrosky

grabster said:
Also, two engineers are more likely to have an autistic child. Engineers (yours truly) are like robots running around all hopped up on serotonin, which I would guess affects the serotonin status of the child.
WTF????????

angelina

I didn't know that about Cuba...interesting. I have two kids with regressive autism and think there are multiple causes. It seems vaccines are reported as the cause by so many parents. We never saw that, but that is only our story. Met plenty of people that have seen it take their kid down. I've researched vaccines ad nauseum and feel they are not what they seem.
I wish Dr. Peat would comment on Autism more.

StrongMom

Neuropsychopharmacology - Placental Source for 5-HT that Tunes Fetal Brain Development
Fetal, maternal, and placental sources of serotonin and new implications for developmental programming of the brain. - PubMed - NCBI

i have twin boys on autistic spectrum; one with more significant symptoms relative to the other. I understand that maternal environment causes autism but there should be a genetic element to it, too. Some people can be more prone to it. Someone on this forum (Davefoster maybe ???) was saying that autism is a way of adaptation to the stressful maternal environment (or in those lines). My son with more severe symptoms I think adapted to the environment but my other son didn't want to; he broke his water 8 weeks early and hence I went into labor.

Constatine

It explains alot
1) the vaccine link, since vaccines cause a fever that is often treated with acetominiphen.
2) why circumcised boys have a much greater chance of autism, since days of acetominophen are recommended after circumcision.
3) The correlation between acetominophen use and autism diagnosis.
4) low incidence of autism in cuba, where acetominophen is under embargo

Lots of studies here, along with a theory about acetominophen affecting glutathione, but I think the serotonin link is stronger:
www.autismstudies.net

Do you suppose overly logical people have high serotonin levels? I've not suspected that engineers would have more serotonin but it does make some sense.

grabster

Do you suppose overly logical people have high serotonin levels? I've not suspected that engineers would have more serotonin but it does make some sense.

Im thinking that there is a pshysiological underpinning to the engineer's typical anti socialness and interest in predicting things with equations. Maybe serotonin, maybe something else. If engineers do have high serotonin, and since high serotonin parents have a higher chance of having an autistic kid, then it makes sense that engineers are more likely to have autistic kids. Maybe too simple....

Regina

The adjective that often comes to mind when meeting engineers is "prickly."