Massaging fasica in scalp promotes hair growth (?)

@PurpleHeart

I have a slightly different take. Hair loss is caused by systemic processes which drive certain changes locally in the scalp. Tension, inflammation and fibrosis are all part of it.

Improving metabolic health by eating good foods, removing irritants and getting enough sunshine, while limiting stress in general can arrest the degenerative process.

However, after a few years of the hair loss process, the pathological changes in the scalp are not likely to be reversed without local/mechanical stimulation of the tissues. I've seen instances of regrowth without all of that, for instance in a 70+ year old man taking spironolactone, but generally, stimulation via massage and red light therapy is a sensible approach, as long as the basic systemic problems are at least somewhat taken care of.

In his book, Rob English makes an analogy to a broken ankle which I think is quite apt. His father broke his ankle and didn't receive any treatment. Eventually his ankle healed but badly and it was full of fibrotic tissue. It didn't heal on its own. Physical therapy and deep tissue massage was necessary to bring it back to its original state.

@rei had a good explanation early on in this thread, but basically the same thing happens with the scalp in hair loss. Under the influence of stress hormones, tension in surrounding scalp tissues increases which leads to inflammation and over time, fibrosis of the tissues. You can fix the problem and many do, by improving their lifestyle (sunshine, food, sleep etc.) and stress levels (getting a better job, new companion etc.) but the scalp likely won't heal to the extent that hair loss is reversed satisfactorily.

Some rare people experience regrowth without any massage, in some accounts I've seen over the years, guys who do so overhaul their lives altogether and go live in a sunny paradise somewhere. That could stimulate metabolic health to an extent that regenerative processes in the scalp can operate at the high intensity typical of a child. But that's hardly possible for most people.
Exaclty! Agree w you on this. Hair loss is a complex issue and we have to take into account the balding personality traits and body changes that are a part of the stress cascade. Also worrying about hair loss will create more stress on top of an already compromised biological system creating a vicious circle. It’s basically a double positive feedback loop - more stress creates more stress which at some point will result in maladaptation in form a disease or condition. Breaking the cycle requires tremendous resources and should be tackled from different angles: removing stressors, proper nutrition, addressing deficiencies with supplements if food is not sufficient, adding additional things like red light, aspirin etc. I bet red light studies would yield better results if they address the fore mentioned factors along with it.

Last edited:

mrchibbs

Exaclty! Agree w you on this. Hair loss is a complex issue and we have to take into account the balding personality traits and body changes that are a part of the stress cascade. Also worrying about hair loss will create more stress on top of an already compromised biological system creating a vicious circle. It’s basically a double positive feedback loop - more stress creates more stress which at some point will result in maladaptation in form a disease or condition. Breaking the cycle requires tremendous resources and should be tackled from different angles: removing stressors, proper nutrition, addressing deficiencies with supplements if food is not sufficient, adding additional things like red light, aspirin etc. I bet red light studies would yield better results if they address the fore mentioned factors along with it.

For sure, it definitely seems like men who experience aggressive balding have to deal with strong epigenetic effects caused by transgenerational and early life circumstances. This is very hard to correct, but comparatively easy to prevent. I still think any young guy who's just starting to lose hair can fully stop this process simply by taking a little aspirin, drinking good milk and getting plenty of sunshine/vitamin D.

For the same reason that one guy can live a shitty life and still have a better head of hair than a guy who tries his best to live healthily, it takes a lot of effort to compensate for inadequate development and epigenetic inheritance.

I think balding is driven by hormonal imprinting and transgenerational deficiencies and also the particular physiology of the scalp. It's basically a predisposition to stress, which leads to tension and chronic inflammation of the galea aponeurotica. Over a process of many years, this leads to fibrosis and cumulative loss of the supportive structure which allow hair to grow thick and pigmented.

It's a degenerative process that requires a lot of things to go wrong at the same time, and for women of reproductive age, the sudden surges of estrogen and progesterone at menstruation probably knock off the cycle and prevent ongoing inflammation and loss. But then they start losing hair after menopause.

In terms of evidence of regrowth, as I've always said, Rob English has done the best job collecting pictures and testimonials and I think it's because fundamentally he has been right. Fixing inflammation and poor metabolic health, along with targeted massages to lower tension and create acute inflammation, is probably what can reverse the fibrotic changes in the scalp. Obviously this works, as evidenced by his pictures and the account of the 78 y.old man who recovered his scalp hair after falling into a fireplace.

However, a lot of guys just use microneedling and harsh massages willy-nilly without correcting the stress and pro-inflammatory conditions and end up just causing more scarring and worsening their scalp health. This is where red light can be more useful I think, after massage sessions to stimulate wound healing.

For sure, it definitely seems like men who experience aggressive balding have to deal with strong epigenetic effects caused by transgenerational and early life circumstances. This is very hard to correct, but comparatively easy to prevent. I still think any young guy who's just starting to lose hair can fully stop this process simply by taking a little aspirin, drinking good milk and getting plenty of sunshine/vitamin D.

For the same reason that one guy can live a shitty life and still have a better head of hair than a guy who tries his best to live healthily, it takes a lot of effort to compensate for inadequate development and epigenetic inheritance.

I think balding is driven by hormonal imprinting and transgenerational deficiencies and also the particular physiology of the scalp. It's basically a predisposition to stress, which leads to tension and chronic inflammation of the galea aponeurotica. Over a process of many years, this leads to fibrosis and cumulative loss of the supportive structure which allow hair to grow thick and pigmented.

It's a degenerative process that requires a lot of things to go wrong at the same time, and for women of reproductive age, the sudden surges of estrogen and progesterone at menstruation probably knock off the cycle and prevent ongoing inflammation and loss. But then they start losing hair after menopause.

In terms of evidence of regrowth, as I've always said, Rob English has done the best job collecting pictures and testimonials and I think it's because fundamentally he has been right. Fixing inflammation and poor metabolic health, along with targeted massages to lower tension and create acute inflammation, is probably what can reverse the fibrotic changes in the scalp. Obviously this works, as evidenced by his pictures and the account of the 78 y.old man who recovered his scalp hair after falling into a fireplace.

However, a lot of guys just use microneedling and harsh massages willy-nilly without correcting the stress and pro-inflammatory conditions and end up just causing more scarring and worsening their scalp health. This is where red light can be more useful I think, after massage sessions to stimulate wound healing.
Thanks a lot - appreciate your time!

Mauritio

I have regrown hundreds of hairs by doing scalp exercises and mentioned this repeatedly but nobody seems to care ...
So first of all i proved to myself that it is possible to regrow hair and that all it needs is proper bloodflow .

Dont get me wrong ,it's still a very slow process but I see it like this: as others are loosing hair, I'm gaining hair :)

I'm doing Tom hagertys scalp exercises. I recommended this to so many people, and I dont think a single person has tried it, yet they all complain about balding.

Some say it's not a pro-metabolic approach. That might or might not be true(there's a good chance this also increases blood flow to and temperature in the brain) . But it's certainly not an anti-metabolic approach as there's no force or pressure beeing applied ,it's solely based on alternating contraction of certain muscles ,which increases blood flow to this area up to 50x .

rr1

I have regrown hundreds of hairs by doing scalp exercises and mentioned this repeatedly but nobody seems to care ...
So first of all i proved to myself that it is possible to regrow hair and that all it needs is proper bloodflow .

Dont get me wrong ,it's still a very slow process but I see it like this: as others are loosing hair, I'm gaining hair :)

I'm doing Tom hagertys scalp exercises. I recommended this to so many people, and I dont think a single person has tried it, yet they all complain about balding.

Some say it's not a pro-metabolic approach. That might or might not be true(there's a good chance this also increases blood flow to and temperature in the brain) . But it's certainly not an anti-metabolic approach as there's no force or pressure beeing applied ,it's solely based on alternating contraction of certain muscles ,which increases blood flow to this area up to 50x .
Yes I also did these too, and had regrowth. People here won't listen.

Mauritio

Maybe it's part of the victim baldness mentality ?‍♂️

mrchibbs

It's an interesting duality. Chronic stress over time leads to the changes in the scalp which can be tackled with these massages/exercises.

Of course it doesn't address the underlying issues, but it can certainly help reverse the pathological changes in the scalp and improve the chances of regrowing hair.

The Tom Haggerty exercise is quite brillant, although I've personally found it difficult to master. When you do it right it feels great.

Mauritio

Of course it doesn't address the underlying issues,
Why not do it while working on the underlying issue? Don't know why people always act like you can just do one of those things...
When you do it right it feels great.
When you do then right and are consistent with them. That's just as important.

OccamzRazer

Same here. Still doing them everyday!

Rob English's newsletter has some pretty impressive before/afters from scalp manipulation alone.

mrchibbs

Why not do it while working on the underlying issue? Don't know why people always act like you can just do one of those things...

I agree.