Mask breath

E

eat my peat

had to put on a mask the other day , smelt breath in there and damn.... it was awful.

is mask breath a thing?

I brush teeth + mouthwash twice a day. both fluoride free. & floss every other day and chew spearmint xylitol gum 3x-5x during the day.

considering purchasing Listerine oral care strips purchased them a couple years back and they are crazy minty but made breath smell good. other solutions? and/or should listeirne strips be avoided?

help the mask breath vanish.

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
I've noticed that if I wear a mask multiple times or for a long time, it starts to have that bad breath smell. If you wash or replace the mask frequently it shouldn't be noticeable. Just because your mask has that smell, it does not mean your breath necessarily smells bad. It sounds like you have good mouth/teeth hygiene.

But I think that is evidence that masks accumulate whatever bacteria is in your mouth. Bacteria that would normally be just "passing through" likely colonize on the mask. There are studies on how often healthy medical workers have to put on a fresh mask and these are hospital protocols. That bad smell is telling us something.

Oh it's a thing alright! Somebody else made a thread about it too, noticing a lot more people having REALLY bad breath.

Peater Piper

It doesn't happen right away, but I definitely start to become aware of my breath after many hours in a respirator.

boris

I get the FFP2 masks for where I‘m forced to wear one. The metallic piece for the nose part is stiffer, so you can flatten it and make way for air to stream in and out from the top and breath freely. I also fold in the lower chin part of the mask, that creates 2 more openings on the sides for more airflow.

Dr. B

I get the FFP2 masks for where I‘m forced to wear one. The metallic piece for the nose part is stiffer, so you can flatten it and make way for air to stream in and out from the top and breath freely. I also fold in the lower chin part of the mask, that creates 2 more openings on the sides for more airflow.
had to put on a mask the other day , smelt breath in there and damn.... it was awful.

is mask breath a thing?

I brush teeth + mouthwash twice a day. both fluoride free. & floss every other day and chew spearmint xylitol gum 3x-5x during the day.

considering purchasing Listerine oral care strips purchased them a couple years back and they are crazy minty but made breath smell good. other solutions? and/or should listeirne strips be avoided?

Hey mate, so I know the blue masks apparently have graphene oxide and etc in them.
im wondering is it worth wearing the polyester masks while sleeping? as a way to increase/retain more CO2? like those solid black cloth masks, or the other cloth/polyester face masks that are reusable and look nicer to wear than the blue medical ones.
I initially had the thought of sleeping with the head under the blanket but that seems scary, tough to do like you could accidentally choke while sleeping somehow. the mask idea seems better, and seems very useful for CO2?

boris

Hey mate, so I know the blue masks apparently have graphene oxide and etc in them.
im wondering is it worth wearing the polyester masks while sleeping? as a way to increase/retain more CO2? like those solid black cloth masks, or the other cloth/polyester face masks that are reusable and look nicer to wear than the blue medical ones.
I initially had the thought of sleeping with the head under the blanket but that seems scary, tough to do like you could accidentally choke while sleeping somehow. the mask idea seems better, and seems very useful for CO2?

The masks only increase CO2 for a very short time. After that they are harmful, strain the lungs, build up moisture and bacteria.

Dr. B

The masks only increase CO2 for a very short time. After that they are harmful, strain the lungs, build up moisture and bacteria.
would they provide an effect similar to bag breathing?

boris

@Mr.Bollox A quote from a Peat interview last year:
From the 2020-3-31 Politics&Science Interview with Ray Peat.
[38:43]
JB: I was wondering: Do masks increase your CO2 levels? I feel it's like breathing into a bag.
RP: Not very much.
JB: No? They don't?
RP: Carbon dioxide doesn't stay in place.
JB: Or I see, so breathing into a bag is much more effective?
RP: Yeah.
JB: Because you are recirculating it over and over again.
RP: um-hm.

Dr. B

@Mr.Bollox A quote from a Peat interview last year:
ah good stuff mate,
the mask actually has openings on the top and bottom so you don't retain much CO2 unless its very tight fitting.
with bag breathing, do you know of the amounts, is it supposed to be limited to just a few minutes a day or can we do it as much as we want

tankasnowgod

is mask breath a thing?

I've posted this article several times on this forum-

Yes, it is a thing, dentists were actually calling it "Mask Mouth," similar to "Meth Mouth." The article is over a year old at this point.

OP
E

eat my peat

Cheers everyone for input.

What I am trying to understand is:

Does the mask makes the breath bad or does the mask bring out the pre-existing bad breath...?

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter

Does the mask makes the breath bad or does the mask bring out the pre-existing bad breath...?
I think it makes the bad breath worse by recirculating bacteria that would normally be breathed out. So my answer would be "neither". The mask becomes its own source of bad breath smell and since you are breathing it IN, you smell it. Only a close friend could tell you if you have bad breath without a mask.

StephanF

Forum Supporter
Try rinsing your mouth with a solution of chlorine dioxide. I do this every day. It is also known as ‘MMS’ Miracle Mineral Supplement, bad choice of words. But it is close to a miracle, since it has improved the health of numerous people.

I use the hydrogen chloride activator, three drops from each bottle, wait 30 seconds, then add water and a little tip of a teaspoon of baking soda to neutralize any remaining acid. I ingest it after rinsing so my body gets the benefit of it, too. But don’t take your vitamins at the same time, especially vitamin C, since it is an antioxidant and chlorine dioxide is an oxidant.

You can also buy the oral rinse CLOSYS, which contains chlorine dioxide. Don’t swallow that mouthwash though!

tankasnowgod

Um, did you read the article I linked? Dentists were suggesting it increases bacteria and dries out the mouth. So, it certainly can make bad breath worse.

The fact that you might be redirecting air right into your nose also suggests it will alert you to bad breath quicker.

So likely, both.

It is bacteria dying and accumulating, like in the armpits. Some really horrific smells can be attributed to gum and teeth problems, so it is both.

OP
E

eat my peat

I sure did read the article. Thank you for sharing. And thank you everyone for the input too.

Try rinsing your mouth with a solution of chlorine dioxide.
and if this is the miracle mineral supplement, then I sure will give it a go :) thank you for sharing.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom