Masa Harina: Safe Starch Or No?

Owen B

I know that for many people on the site the term "safe starch" is an oxymoron. People here can really dislike starch and I'm not disagreeing with a lot of what they say.

But the process of nixtamalization used to produce masa harina is supposed to make the starch and the pectin more assimilable. That's the theory.

Here's an article that describes the actual process in biological terms. The "cross linking" of the pectin by the nixtamalization is supposed to be the key.

I don't know how to make sense of this process from a scientific POV. Is this an improvement or no?

Anyone with a better grasp of the biology involved want to weigh in?

Transforming Corn | Cook's Illustrated

Arnold Grape

Just eat it if it tastes good and does not mess you up in some perceivable way. Lately I’ve been making tortilla soup with sprouted, yellow tortillas and beef or bone broth, with grass fed and a bit of sour cream.

thomas00

The Volkheimer research says that starch granules have to gelatinize in order for them to be digested and not persorbed. I know Ray says the nixtamilization prevents persorption but there is some research saying it doesn't gelatinize starch granules in corn.

They taste really good though so I just eat them anyway.

Jib

Having some masa right now. It's become a staple for me. I simply mix dry masa with water, and microwave it for 1 to 2 minutes. You can add water or milk afterwards to thin it out to the desired consistency. You can make it to whatever consistency you want. Thin porridge, thicker like mashed potatoes. Atole is a traditional Mexican drink, that historically was made with nothing but water. Nowadays people use milk and sugar. It's a drinkable masa beverage, basically.

Masa porridge is perhaps the cheapest and most nutritious food you can possibly eat. It is stupidly inexpensive. I prefer it to be the consistency of mashed potatoes. I measure out 3/4 to 1 cup of dry masa, and add water until it's a bit thinner than my desired consistency. Then microwave for 1 to 2 minutes. Add more water to desired consistency.

It is so good. And I feel great after having it. Nixtamalization makes B3 available. It also absorbs calcium from being cooked in calcium hydroxide. The protein structure also changes and appears to be beneficial. I can't find much of anything online about eating masa in such a simple way, aside from atole. It's great as a hot cereal.

I salt to taste, and add whatever kind of sauce I feel like having. Masa is pretty neutral and takes well to just about any sauce. Cholula sauce is great. Currently having some General Tso's sauce on it. Anything I can find that is fat-free, I'll give it a try.

Been craving masa every day, which tells me a lot. I have oatmeal every single day, but lately, I've been craving masa. And many times will skip my oatmeal and have masa instead.

Dr. McDougall got me onto starches. Peat himself has said they're not incompatible with good health. I have given up avoiding starches and now enjoy them as the actual majority of my diet. And have been doing very well with them. High carb + low fat = Peaty, in a nutshell. Even if he doesn't see grains/starches as optimal, you can certainly do much worse than having a very low-fat and high starch diet.

Masa has become the MVP in my diet lately. Would highly recommend it to anyone. Just mix with water and microwave, and have it as a hot cereal. Tortillas, tamales, etc. that's all well and good. But personally I'm crunched for time and energy and need to prepare food as quickly as possible. It's delicious and could not be easier to prepare.

Angel45

Having some masa right now. It's become a staple for me. I simply mix dry masa with water, and microwave it for 1 to 2 minutes. You can add water or milk afterwards to thin it out to the desired consistency. You can make it to whatever consistency you want. Thin porridge, thicker like mashed potatoes. Atole is a traditional Mexican drink, that historically was made with nothing but water. Nowadays people use milk and sugar. It's a drinkable masa beverage, basically.

Masa porridge is perhaps the cheapest and most nutritious food you can possibly eat. It is stupidly inexpensive. I prefer it to be the consistency of mashed potatoes. I measure out 3/4 to 1 cup of dry masa, and add water until it's a bit thinner than my desired consistency. Then microwave for 1 to 2 minutes. Add more water to desired consistency.

It is so good. And I feel great after having it. Nixtamalization makes B3 available. It also absorbs calcium from being cooked in calcium hydroxide. The protein structure also changes and appears to be beneficial. I can't find much of anything online about eating masa in such a simple way, aside from atole. It's great as a hot cereal.

I salt to taste, and add whatever kind of sauce I feel like having. Masa is pretty neutral and takes well to just about any sauce. Cholula sauce is great. Currently having some General Tso's sauce on it. Anything I can find that is fat-free, I'll give it a try.

Been craving masa every day, which tells me a lot. I have oatmeal every single day, but lately, I've been craving masa. And many times will skip my oatmeal and have masa instead.

Dr. McDougall got me onto starches. Peat himself has said they're not incompatible with good health. I have given up avoiding starches and now enjoy them as the actual majority of my diet. And have been doing very well with them. High carb + low fat = Peaty, in a nutshell. Even if he doesn't see grains/starches as optimal, you can certainly do much worse than having a very low-fat and high starch diet.

Masa has become the MVP in my diet lately. Would highly recommend it to anyone. Just mix with water and microwave, and have it as a hot cereal. Tortillas, tamales, etc. that's all well and good. But personally I'm crunched for time and energy and need to prepare food as quickly as possible. It's delicious and could not be easier to prepare.
Yup I can't live without at least a little bit of starch everyday. Masa has become my staple. Love it for hot cereal. I mix mine with mostly milk and add gelatin then top with fruit and a little bit of butter. Served with my morning eggs . I'm not losing any weight but I'm also not crashing during the day.

Ideonaut

Agreed. I make masa harina like cream of wheat and add honey and milk. I don't trust tortillas. The last package I looked at had guar gum and other crap listed on the label.

how about masa harina floured pancakes?
Here are mine! I posted the recipe for them on the link below :)

Attachments

• 20210814_145551.jpg
    20210814_145551.jpg
    526.7 KB · Views: 26

MayaPapaya

I also eat White Masa Harina porridge with some Turmeric, jam and ghee, salt. I mix water and ingredients in a 16oz jar, shake and pour into the sauce pan, mix constantly (small fire). Ready in a few minutes. Delicious!

In the past making masa harina tortillas seemed like a big process, but I want to attempt it; actually doesn't seem that hard.

I want to get a tortilla press (i know its not necessary, but I would enjoy this convenience) and Im just wondering if it would be ok to use an ALUMINUM one? I know aluminum is not good for you, but im not sure if it matters for a tortilla press. Not sure if it could get into food.

I know they also have cast iron, and wooden ones, and wood would prob be best, but it is more expensive, and would like to get the cheaper aluminum one if its not unhealthy.

The tortillas do not go on the press when they are hot, but just to flatten the dough out before cooking.

Thanks for any advice.

Birdie

In the past making masa harina tortillas seemed like a big process, but I want to attempt it; actually doesn't seem that hard.

I want to get a tortilla press (i know its not necessary, but I would enjoy this convenience) and Im just wondering if it would be ok to use an ALUMINUM one? I know aluminum is not good for you, but im not sure if it matters for a tortilla press. Not sure if it could get into food.

I know they also have cast iron, and wooden ones, and wood would prob be best, but it is more expensive, and would like to get the cheaper aluminum one if its not unhealthy.

The tortillas do not go on the press when they are hot, but just to flatten the dough out before cooking.

Thanks for any advice.
I think it would be okay. Aluminum cook ware is a problem, but it's just to press and shape. Aluminum wouldn't escape. Did you make the tortillas? I used to make them but without a press.

Birdie

I know that for many people on the site the term "safe starch" is an oxymoron. People here can really dislike starch and I'm not disagreeing with a lot of what they say.

But the process of nixtamalization used to produce masa harina is supposed to make the starch and the pectin more assimilable. That's the theory.

Here's an article that describes the actual process in biological terms. The "cross linking" of the pectin by the nixtamalization is supposed to be the key.

I don't know how to make sense of this process from a scientific POV. Is this an improvement or no?

Anyone with a better grasp of the biology involved want to weigh in?

Transforming Corn | Cook's Illustrated
Ray recommends masa harina. He also said he ate oatmeal.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals