Masa Harina and Pufa

Udran

Raypeat highly recommends consuming masa harina, it would be the only "safe" starch.

A portion of 30g of masa harina is equal to 1g of pufa, bread, rice, potatoes are much lower in pufa

It is quite high in pufa, for daily use. And someone like me who tries to keep their pufa consumption to a minimum. Especially since he recommends not to eat too much eggs precisely for their quantities of pufa ...

ba480405-d06f-490a-bdc0-777abc3399c3_1.5b8d88606e4123c559e075c286e4752f.jpeg

PaRa

Plantains may be the most peaty starch as it’s a fruit

boris

Don't buy Maseca brand (the one from your screenshot), it's iron fortified.

Also other brands only list 1/2 to 1/3 the amount of PUFA, but no idea how accurate those figures are. Some brand I bought had about 1g of PUFA listed per 100g. Take into account that you combine it with water, so it's more tortilla than you think.

amd

It is not "safe", is just that the process adds more calcium to it, is still starch and if you add sugar it's a lot of carbs for one meal.

Corn is a seed.

You can germinate bean sprouts, but it's still beans with all that phosphorus in the form of phytic acid. You soak beans to reduce the phytic acid.

At least, masa harina with the added calcium (to counter phosphates) is better than other seeds.

Last edited:

Dave Clark

Don't buy Maseca brand (the one from your screenshot), it's iron fortified.

Also other brands only list 1/2 to 1/3 the amount of PUFA, but no idea how accurate those figures are. Some brand I bought had about 1g of PUFA listed per 100g. Take into account that you combine it with water, so it's more tortilla than you think.
How do you know it is 'iron fortified" ? I thought by law they had to disclose when it is fortified, and I don't see any add ingredients that are 'reduced'iron'. The iron on the disclosure may well be the natural iron found in the product.

Beastmode

I've been eating a cup of masa harina per day for the past few years without any issues. I also do all the other stuff right, so maybe that mitigates any potential negative effect. Peat told me a cup of masa is like getting another cup of milk in per day so my C-P ratio is always really good.

I tried the Maseca for a month and I definitely didn't feel as well from it. I had to use the restroom in the middle of the night quite consistently when consuming it.

boris

How do you know it is 'iron fortified" ? I thought by law they had to disclose when it is fortified, and I don't see any add ingredients that are 'reduced'iron'. The iron on the disclosure may well be the natural iron found in the product.
Oh then there must be different varieties of Maseca. The one I can get here has the added iron and other stuff listed.

boris

So can you give me a good mark please?
It should be fine :) I didn‘t know there are 2 varieties of standard Maseca one is without fortification. I buy from a German store mercadomexicano.de

Apple

Raypeat highly recommends consuming masa harina, it would be the only "safe" starch.

A portion of 30g of masa harina is equal to 1g of pufa, bread, rice, potatoes are much lower in pufa

It is quite high in pufa, for daily use. And someone like me who tries to keep their pufa consumption to a minimum. Especially since he recommends not to eat too much eggs precisely for their quantities of pufa ...

View attachment 26803
Why is it so low in Calcium on the label ?
One serving should contain Calcium equal one glass of milk , about 200mg

Last edited:

Apple

Plantains may be the most peaty starch as it’s a fruit
Wrong!
Plantains contain nearly double the amount of serotonin compared to bananas. While bananas contain about 15 micrograms of serotonin per gram, plantains contain about 30 micrograms.
Also high in tryptophan.

When RP was asked banana vs. potato, he chose potato because banana is full of serotonin

Last edited:

skuabird

Wrong!
Plantains contain nearly double the amount of serotonin compared to bananas. While bananas contain about 15 micrograms of serotonin per gram, plantains contain about 30 micrograms.
Also high in tryptophan.

When RP was asked banana vs. potato, he chose potato because banana is full of serotonin
I used to love green plantains but they mess me up- digestion and cause my hands to swell up

jnklheimer

pretty sure it only has folic acid added to it in usa

MayaPapaya

It is not "safe", is just that the process adds more calcium to it, is still starch and if you add sugar it's a lot of carbs for one meal.

Corn is a seed.

You can germinate bean sprouts, but it's still beans with all that phosphorus in the form of phytic acid. You soak beans to reduce the phytic acid.

At least, masa harina with the added calcium (to counter phosphates) is better than other seeds.
White corn (milky one) is considered a fruit, not a seed.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals