Marshmallows as a bedtime snack and a daily source of gelatin? Ingredients Review

vibnad1991

I was wondering what everyone's opinion on marshmallows as a daily bedtime snack? would it be a viable option for a a daily source of gelatin.
Are any of these ingredients something i should be concerned about?
Ingredients:
1. Sugar
2. Glucose Syrup
3. Water
4. Maize Starch
5. Beef Gelatine
6. Flavourings
7. Concentrated Beetroot Juice

Mossy

I think the ones you have have good ingredients compared to most popular brands. Many have corn syrup, corn starch, and artificial ingredients, as well as harsher additives.

I’ll have to look for some higher quality ones myself.

rainbowdrops

I think the ones you have have good ingredients compared to most popular brands. Many have corn syrup, corn starch, and artificial ingredients, as well as harsher additives.

I’ll have to look for some higher quality ones myself.
Isn’t maize starch the same as corn starch?

SOMO

I don't think Marshmallows have any significant amount of gelatin.

Instead of wasting your money on marshmallows, I would just invest in powdered gelatin and drink it a few times a week.

Birdie

I avoid Natural Flavorings and Beet sugar, but these ingredients look better than the others I've seen in marshmallows..
Beet sugar is a nightshade I think. I have to avoid nightshades or I get joint pain from them.

"What do fruit extracts, MSG, Castoreum (made from a secretion from a Beaver’s anal gland) and L-Cysteine (made from duck feathers or human hair) all have in common?

They are all considered “natural flavors”.

You might think that by avoiding products that contain “artificial flavors,” you are free from consuming anything you don’t recognize. Natural flavors, after all, sound pretty natural. Unfortunately, the FDA’s definition of a natural flavor is so broad that it allows companies to sneak in all sorts of ingredients they’d rather not disclose, but instead, hide under the guise of a natural flavor.

Hans

Forum Supporter
I was wondering what everyone's opinion on marshmallows as a daily bedtime snack? would it be a viable option for a a daily source of gelatin.
Ingredients:
1. Sugar
2. Glucose Syrup
3. Water
4. Maize Starch
5. Beef Gelatine
6. Flavourings
Ingredients look fine, but it's most likely a very poor source of gelatin.

DonLore

Ingredients:
1. Sugar
2. Glucose Syrup
3. Water
4. Maize Starch
5. Beef Gelatine
6. Flavourings
They probably have around 1-2% gelatin so poor source. You would get more by eating minced meat, chicken wings etc or just using collagen powder, ox tail or collagen bars

SOMO

Hey, I'm in the UK. Its a store brand version:

there's also a haribo one which you might be able to get:

Can anyone confirm whether marshmallows is a good or poor source of gelatin? Otherwise i need to rethink what to get to consume gelatin?

No, they're not a good source of gelatin.

81saOgXRJgL._SL1500_.jpg

4 marshmallows = less than 1g protein.

Bone broth, meat with the cartilege and powdered gelatin are a better use of your money.

As far as processed snacks go, marshmallows are "fine" but if your goal is to increase gelatin intake powdered gelatin is the least expensive way dollar per gram. Also you can make some cool snacks with the gelatin like orange juice jelly cubes.

Last edited:

Ideonaut

Ingredients:
1. Sugar
2. Glucose Syrup
3. Water
4. Maize Starch
5. Beef Gelatine
6. Flavourings
I make my own but have changed the recipe, doubling the amount of gelatin. I soak 5 Tblspns gelatin in about a cup of water in my mixing bowl. Make a syrup with 1 2/3 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water, boiling on medium till it forms a thread (10 minutes?). gradually add syrup to gelatin on slow mixer speed, then speed up till foamy and thick. Add a tablespoon of vanilla. put in casserole dish that has been buttered and sprinkled with powdered sugar. cut up with scissors when ready. these are chewier and moister than the original recipe, which called for corn syrup and cornstarch, which I left out. pretty good tho--a pleasant way to eat gelatin!

Mossy

Isn’t maize starch the same as corn starch?
I would say you are correct. The word "maize" went right over my head. So, I would pass on that ingredient myself, if I could help it, due to the GMO and starch aspects. I say this from a surface understanding, and not as someone who can speak to any complexities beyond that.

I did find some marshmallows today that don't have any corn syrup or corn starch. They are by Yummallo.

Edit: Stupid me! The ones I bought have corn syrup! I didn't notice it on it's own first line of the ingredients list.

Last edited:

Mossy

I don't think Marshmallows have any significant amount of gelatin.

Instead of wasting your money on marshmallows, I would just invest in powdered gelatin and drink it a few times a week.

Ingredients look fine, but it's most likely a very poor source of gelatin.
Agreed. But a marshmallow is a marshmallow; not quite replicated by any other food. I would not think of eating them for my main source of gelatin.

I make my own but have changed the recipe, doubling the amount of gelatin. I soak 5 Tblspns gelatin in about a cup of water in my mixing bowl. Make a syrup with 1 2/3 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water, boiling on medium till it forms a thread (10 minutes?). gradually add syrup to gelatin on slow mixer speed, then speed up till foamy and thick. Add a tablespoon of vanilla. put in casserole dish that has been buttered and sprinkled with powdered sugar. cut up with scissors when ready. these are chewier and moister than the original recipe, which called for corn syrup and cornstarch, which I left out. pretty good tho--a pleasant way to eat gelatin!
Great idea. Thank you.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals