Marmalade As Main Sugar Source - Problems?

Hi guys,

I found a local brand of marmalade. The ingredients listed are Seville oranges and sugar. One jar contains about 240g of sugar. Can you foresee any issues with using this as main sugar source? Should it be organic? I don't do well on liquids in general.

Xisca

I have used homemade marmelade, and my idea is that marmelade is better than pure sugar, as you get the fruit with it! If this is true, fruit fiber is supposed to slow down sugar increase.
I would just vary the source of fruit in the pot, and keep as you do to only fruit and sugar.

Tarmander

If the marmalade is really high in naringen and the other good stuff Ray talks about, you will probably only want to use it as a condiment. You can definitely do too much citrus peal, and lower inflammation to the point where your immune system starts to malfunction. At least, this is what happen to me. I felt awesome for a little while, great skin, etc, then started getting sick.

The pathway that is inhibited by citrus, I believe Cytochrome P450, also detoxes estrogen. So you can go overboard.

tara

Personally, I love marmalade, but I don't feel good if I eat large quantities. Not sure what the reason is - could just be too much refined sucrose for my context, or could be something about the pith.

L

Lord Cola

It might be a good replacement for orange juice if ripe orange juice isn't available. It tastes pretty good if you mix it with water then strain the mixture with a cheesecloth to get rid of the fiber. I don't yet know of a reason to limit eating this any more than orange juice, provided it's good quality.