Mark from Scotland - hello!

M

member 2106

Hi there,

I've been lurking on this wonderful forum for about a year now, and thought it was about time I introduced myself.

I became interested in nutrition a few years ago, and was initially drawn to the Paleo diet and thought of it as gospel. I was very anti-sugar for quite a while and indeed found that abstaining from sugar, except from the occasional fruit, would give me an exceptional mental clarity (which to be honest I've never had since - perhaps my stress hormones were high?). Anyway, in Christmas 2013 I had my first panic attack, triggered by smoking some cannabis, and the attack was so overwhelmingly traumatic that it's shaped my life since, and I still suffer from low-level anxiety most of the time, and rely on Valium to keep me going. (I only take this very rarely, however, because full-blown panic attacks don't happen to me very often).

I became interested in Ray Peat around that time because it somehow just made instinctual sense to me, especially with his anti-stress message, and since then I've incorporated some of his advice. To be honest, though, I haven't been able to fully commit, mainly due to laziness. I eat liver, raw carrot, oysters, OJ, ice cream, all that stuff - but I still haven't totally eliminated the bad foods, and often have sandwhiches for lunch, or occasionally takeaway food which is chock-full of PUFAs and perhaps negates all the good work that oysters and liver and OJ do.

For the last while I've felt particularly unwell, and these are the main symptoms:

1) almost constant sluggishness and fatigue, a feeling of glue in my head - coffee can sometimes relieve this slightly, but also wreaks havoc on my bowels
2) a slow but steady thinning of the hair
3) an almost complete absence of libido (I'm only 27)
4) a recent increase in anxiety, panic-attacks and pretty much perpetually rotten mood

I suspect that the main reason for this is that I've been working full-time for most of this year, and I work in a call centre, which means looking at a screen all day, sitting in a massive office with constant background noise, etc, etc. I know that it's bad for me, but I need the money. But perhaps I'm not taking my diet seriously enough, and should be making more of an effort to avoid toxins (I posted recently about the difficulty of maintaining health when you're working long hours in a sedentary job).

I really want to address these problems, but sometimes I think that while I'm working 40 hours a week (I know, not relatively that bad) in a sedentary, repetitive job, it will not be quite possible to achieve optimal health. Nevertheless, eliminating the bad staff can't hurt.

This is already too long, so I'll stop there.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
[ref]waldenpond[/ref], :welcome

If you need anything while you are here, please let us know.

See you around the forum. :D

:hattip

tara

:welcome waldenpond

Scotland is beautiful. :)

I guess you came across bag-breathing or other breathing exercises as something to try to interrupt beginning panic attacks? They are apparently often associated with too low CO2, which can arise from hyperventilation. Getting adequate minerals may also help with this.

Working inside all day, are you able to get out for a gentle walk in the daylight at lunchtime? And at least in winter, see if you can get some extra red light on you every day?

It's good to get the PUFA down as much as you can, but I expect it's worth getting your liver and oysters anyway. Anything in the right direction is better than not.

Stilgar

Hello fellow Scotland dweller! Nice to meet you :) :hattip :hattip

I have always linked panic attacks on marijuana with high adrenaline and stress hormones.

Gradually, on the Peat diet, these attacks became more infrequent and I could use it once in a while for sleep, fun etc. Difference is, though, since feeling better, I have tended to not use it anymore, because now I am asleep in seconds.

Good B vitamin status (niacinamide, thiamine, b6 especially) is important for generalised anxiety, which I am only just learning. I have been Peating for a couple of years, after a hesistant start. On B vitamins, I can talk to people, am not as shy, can find words, and seek out conversation! Other good things to try will be increasing sugar intake, thyroid, pregnenolone, aspirin and alleviating digestive distress with an easy to digest diet.

You might find little and big hiccups along the way, and find your own version of the Peat diet. It takes some experiment, but I hope you see rewards!

OP
M

member 2106

Stilgar said:
post 100078 Hello fellow Scotland dweller! Nice to meet you :) :hattip :hattip

I have always linked panic attacks on marijuana with high adrenaline and stress hormones.

Gradually, on the Peat diet, these attacks became more infrequent and I could use it once in a while for sleep, fun etc. Difference is, though, since feeling better, I have tended to not use it anymore, because now I am asleep in seconds.

Good B vitamin status (niacinamide, thiamine, b6 especially) is important for generalised anxiety, which I am only just learning. I have been Peating for a couple of years, after a hesistant start. On B vitamins, I can talk to people, am not as shy, can find words, and seek out conversation! Other good things to try will be increasing sugar intake, thyroid, pregnenolone, aspirin and alleviating digestive distress with an easy to digest diet.

You might find little and big hiccups along the way, and find your own version of the Peat diet. It takes some experiment, but I hope you see rewards!

Hi!

Do you take the individual B vitamins or as a complex? And do you buy them online?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
M

member 2106

tara said:
post 100073 :welcome waldenpond

Scotland is beautiful. :)

I guess you came across bag-breathing or other breathing exercises as something to try to interrupt beginning panic attacks? They are apparently often associated with too low CO2, which can arise from hyperventilation. Getting adequate minerals may also help with this.

Working inside all day, are you able to get out for a gentle walk in the daylight at lunchtime? And at least in winter, see if you can get some extra red light on you every day?

It's good to get the PUFA down as much as you can, but I expect it's worth getting your liver and oysters anyway. Anything in the right direction is better than not.

Scotland is indeed beautiful, mostly! I'm very lucky.

Do you recommend bag-breathing as something to be done regularly, even if I'm feeling fine? I haven't really tried it before, but anything that might help...

Also, I've been told by a few people that certain B vitamins can have an impact on anxiety - do you know much about this connection?

tara

Hi Mark,
On hyperventilatoion and Bueyko method, I am informed by Rakhimov at normalbreathing.com, and Patrick McKeown. If you think you ever get hyperventilation, which is likely with panic attacks, then I think there may be benefit in practicing bag-breathing or reduced breathing in some form regularly as training, so you have techniques ready when you need them acutely, but also to try to raise your CO2 set point so that you are less likely to cross the threshold to acute panic/hyperventilation, and to support all the body processes tat work best with good CO2 levels. You can test your control pause (http://www.normalbreathing.com/index-measure-CP.php) to see if you have habits of chronic low level unaware hyperventilation. You can oberve yourself to see if you habitually do relaxed nasal diaphragmatic breathing. If you find you breathe through your mouth or with your chest muscles, I think it is worth retraining these (I used mechanical support that made this much easier). If your control pause is low, this may indicate that unaware hyperventilation is a contributor to your health issues.

I think diet also affects breathing. For me, I think ensuring I get enough carbs and calcium and magnesium are probably factors in improving it.

I do think B-vitamins could be helpful with energy production and nervous system function, and therefore anxiety and mood etc. Niacinamide is the one Peat recommends most often (50-100mg 2 or more times a day with food). He also sometimes recommends B1 and B6 (max 10mg/day), as Stilgar mentioned. Haidut has made lots of posts about studies showing benefits from specific Bs. I use more than just those 3 at the moment, but these may be the best to start with. I get powders so I can make up the doses I want and avoid dodgy excipients in tablets etc.

Stilgar

waldenpond said:
post 100085

Do you take the individual B vitamins or as a complex? And do you buy them online?

Thanks.

I was taking Energin, but unfortunately I developed an allergic reaction to it, probably from the riboflavin component, so had to stop taking it. Welcome to the wonderful world off suggesting something to somebody, only to find out that it was not a good idea! Don't be afraid to change your opinion on something. Better to be honest.

I think it was a link to cortisol levels. I have generally high cortisol, and anything that brings it down improves my mental state. I got a good effect from the b vitamins initially perhaps because of a cortisol regulating action and improved metabolism. However, after some conversations with Ray, I tried pregnenolone again on a much stricter diet cutting out all potential allergens and no supplements bar thyroid and pregnenolone to great effect! So trying to get all my nutrition from food, and using pregnenolone and thyroid to lower cortisol and serotonin.

It has been two days now of pregnenolone and have no anxiety at all. It is really sensational.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom