Marine PUFAs linked to lower mortality (Study)

valzim

16 year study showing marine based Omega 3s are associated with reduced mortality, heart disease and cancer. Plant based omega 3, alpha linolenic, shows no benefit. Higher Marine omega 3s associated with 9-13% lower mortality. To
me, this does not seem substantial. Maybe people who eat fish and supplement fish oil practice other healthy habits like exercise. Maybe an expert can break this report down to layman’s terms. Haidut?? ?

Last edited:

Jon2547

Is this one study or a collection of epidemiological studies? Because if it is the latter then all bets are off because those can be manipulated and cherry-picked to prove anything.

Hugh Johnson

All HRs are adjusted for age, sex, race, field center, body-mass index, education, occupation, marital status, smoking, physical activity, alcohol intake, prevalent diabetes, hypertension, and dyslipidemia, self-reported general health, and the sum of circulating n-6 PUFA (linoleic plus arachidonic acids).

Ulysses

Yeah, uncooked or very lightly cooked seafood is the only source of unsaturated fat I have in my diet. I always feel great after raw oysters and baked fish. It's quite obviously not the same thing as eating seed oils

rei

When i was in bad health and bad food habits fatty fish tasted good and worked well. Now i often get slightly nauseous from it if i have been avoiding pufas the previous days, and i can only eat it when it is absolutely fresh, the "fishy" smell and taste most people think is normal obviously comes from the long chained fats and other stuff going rancid.

The dry, carnivorous fish never gave me any problem and they keep much longer before getting the fishy aromas.

But i don't deny that consuming long chained fish pufas could have benefit if your diet is high in seed oils.