Marijuana Causing Mental Issues

answersfound

Since smoking marijuana, my brain has never been the same. I started smoking at the age of 17 on a weekly basis. Through age 18-19, I was smoking almost everyday, multiple times a day. In high school I was a good student, and great at math. I had a great sense of direction too. Slowly, I noticed my memory and overall cognitive ability were declining, so I decided to stop at age 19. My grades declined and I struggle with school work to this day. I am almost 25 years old now. I feel like my brain just doesn't make the same connections it used to. I can't put my finger on it, but something just isn't right. I can't grasp complex, abstract concepts like I used to. I am also not as creative as I once was. I've become duller as a result and struggle in social situations to make conversation.

I haven't smoked since the age of 19, other than a couple occasions over the years. I obviously have no plans to ever smoke again. What I can I do to reverse this damage and restore my memory? I have tried pregnenolone and it hasn't really seemed to help. I understand there may be no exact answer, but what exactly happened? I know plenty of people who smoked more marijuana over a longer time period, and they certainly do not have these problems.

mujuro

Likewise. I was very intelligent as a teenager and even after leaving school I continued to spend leisure time reading physics non-fiction, learning new hobbies, etc. I loved to exercise my brain. About a year after school had finished I had a minor breakdown - not eating, not emerging from my room until everyone had gone to bed, drinking alone (18 is legal age here in Australia). I was sent to a psychiatrist and I spent about 5 years on heavy psychotropics for "bipolar disorder", consisting of lamotrigine, quetiapine, amisulpride, escitalopram, and lithium. Worst thing I have ever done, and I have never been the same since coming off them.

Any kind of psychic challenge causes a rush of lethargy over my entire brain, an almost instant 'I give up' sensation. I feel stupid.

I am interested to see if any others can come forth and if we can find some common ground on this problem.

NotSoAlpha

Hey friend.

Yes, weed is nasty stuff. It's very hard on the psyche. I really hate the propaganda that says it's harmless.

I'm in a similar boat. Smoked for years on end and now I'm drug-fcked to the point where I feel like I have dementia.

I will be speaking to someone, and lose track of what I'm saying mid sentence. I also use the wrong words a lot. And I have trouble enunciating words as well. When I'm doing a task I tend to forget what I'm doing WHILE I'M DOING IT.

It can be very hard for me to follow instructions because I often can't hold the instruction in my head long enough to perform the task and I definitely can't hold a series of multiple instructions. If you tell me to do 3 things, I will only remember the the last thing because each thing you tell me will push out the previous thing.

So yeah I'm really messed up.

See, what I understand is, the brain rewires itself whenever you do something. So when you smoke weed hard out for long periods of time eventually it becomes rewired so that you are basically perma-stoned. I believe it can eventually rewire itself back to normal though... I'm hoping anyway.

You know, when I smoked I didn't give the slightest ***t about anything other than getting my next hit. I couldn't even be bothered eating. Some days I'd have nothing but coffee and a few pieces of bread. This damaged my metabolism a lot. So my damage from weed is amplified by my damage from not eating properly.

OP
A

answersfound

I wonder if it's not actually the weed, but something sprayed on the weed by the dealer. So I'm not too quick to blame the weed itself. Regardless, I won't touch weed again. I typically would buy good quality stuff, but I'm sure there were occasions where I was desperate and bought crap that was sprayed with windex or w/e. Cigarettes are considered to be so damn problematic, but people disregard the fact that there are plenty of chemicals in them, and tobacco alone is okay in moderation. But we can't dwell on our past mistakes or beat ourselves up. We are lucky to have found Ray Peat and his work. I think small things can have a cumulative effect over time and the brain can repair itself in the right environment. I am using coconut oil with my eggs everyday, so hopefully that is doing some good. I am also drinking plenty of coffee and taking b vitamins. And I find that If I can lower stress with benadryl, then pregnenolone doesn't cause me problems. There is a ton of research suggesting pregnenolone can reverse memory issues in the elderly, so that certainly makes me hopeful.

I think you should stick with pregnenolone for at least a month, with big doses like three-hundred milligrams per day. I found thiamine to be a real change at a gram and a half per day for a couple weeks. A little Noopept here and there with some N-Back training to your taste. You must get out of the house at least once every day and enjoy the way you think naturally. Avoid physical pleasures.

Peatri Dish

Yes my DH smoked for about thirty years. He is off for two. He is in school full-time and struggles with the same issues. He has seen improvement with pregnanalone and B1 and lots of sugar.

G

gummybear

Its very estrogenic

Apparently it is popular among leftists which can explain their erratic behaviour

Zachs

I second trying noopept. Also creatine is supposed to help with cognitive function.. In vegetarians at least.

I had similar experiences with marijuana. I smoked consistently from 15-26. Eventually i started having adverse reactions to it, similar to panic attacks. My last attempt at eating a medical grade throat lozange ended up with a trip to the hospital and blood pressure around 170-110 and average resting heart rate in the 120s. It was unpleasent to say the least. I also noticed i have difficulty with memory and pronunciation of words, also recalling words/names. Its gotten better on a high sugar diet but still not like pre marijuana.

Anywho i still love weed, at least the idea of it and the growing side of it. It is a very spiritual plant and there is no denying that it has medicinal properties. I have also wondered if it is not the plant itself that is the problem but the constant persuit of getting a higher thc count that is the issue. People are using all sorts of organic and chemical compounds to up the thc and also the cross breeding. Indica steains especially caused me to go into a panic almost immediately with chest tightening, high blood pressure, etc. almost like an allergic reaction or mild OD which most weeds heads say is not possible. I also know a few people that smoke all day every day for years with only positive effects. :shrugs:

pboy

marijuana doesn't cause those kind of issues, so it wasn't that
im being honest

Zachs

pboy said:
im being honest

Which, cognitive impairing stuff or my issues?

If your referring to me, i got the same experiences from many different strains, ways of smoking and also edibles. I most certainly was a reaction to marijuana in general. It also got worse over the course of a few years after almost ten years of daily smoking with no issues so it might of been a build up effect or my body rejecting it, not really sure why.

I don't know one former or current smoker who doesn't complain about this.

pboy

its probably too deep to talk about here, so I wont start a convo...but cannabis is like the icing on the top of the cake, everything else has to be good under it. And most people like to attribute anything to common culprits, I bet cannabis actually has helped all these people. But ill leave it at that. I am a current smoker who doesn't complain about that at all...it helps in all aspects. It elevates all aspects. Like I said though theres too many variables for me to even try to get across here, and people probably wouldn't be able to understand without experiencing things that might take years and in a specific way, otherwise they wont understand the complexity. Its a blue bill kind of thing. Theres actual tests that have been done showing regular cannabis users score higher in certain long term abstract ways of thinking, but that's just a whatever thing. It has thousands of years of reverence by billions of people. Its definitely the most falsely talked about plant in modern history. To me even the fact its like illegal or 'for medical uses aka the cartel kind of disease thinking' is highly disrespectful, disgraceful, and not even close to the point of the herb. Its the kind of thing that if people embraced from an early age unbiasedly we would have an entirely different culture and way of life, but instead its this. Im serious though its not marijuana that is causing any of your issues...or that it was a culprit. Its a short acting inert substance. Ive gone on such a health and life journey through the deepest lows and highest highs, so I know what kind of factors play into life, and ive gone from down to up while using cannabis the whole time, and easily if I wasn't the way I was could have just been like 'its the marijuana! doctor help me!' while simply eating a bad meal or imbalanced meal, not enough, too much water all mess with memory and intelligence much worse than marijuana. It actually helps

Look, you could see or smell something for five seconds a day and it would eventually show in a brain scan against someone who didn't do it. And we are talking about people who were smoking many times a day.

pboy

i think it does change the brain a little bit with chronic use, but it seems to be a benefit for me. I haven't noticed it do anything to memory at all, or concentration or intelligence, in fact I think the way it expands and synchronizes the brain I think it has helped due to a more entire grasp of my experiences. I just mean to say people are often doing things dietarily, or medicine from a doctor or other lifestyle factors that happen, simply early 20's aging and the disillusionment of the world by being thrust into it...lots of things change, and I don't think marijuana is what caused anything...there has to be other variables

Zachs said:
Such_Saturation said:
I don't know one former or current smoker who doesn't complain about this.

:lol: not just a stereotype then?

They complain of it, doesn't mean it's really happening :mrgreen:

G

gummybear

The increasing campaign to promote marijuana is probably a way for the goverment to pacify the population.

gummybear said:
The increasing campaign to promote marijuana is probably a way for the goverment to pacify the population.

Well it seems like just a thing of the times, unless kids are simply more receptive to the propaganda.

FT_10.24.14_marijuana-02.png

marijuana_perspective_by_age.png

NotSoAlpha

pboy said:
im being honest

hi pboy.

I think there is a small minority of users, who for some reason are able to smoke every day and it doesnt impair them. in some cases even improves them.

However this is not the norm. Virtually everyone I know who smokes has been negatively affected - they are slack, forgetful, full of ideas but no actions. And most of them will start jumping out of their skin if they have to go more than a day without it.

I think it's a bit arrogant to say "marijuana doesn't cause those issues".

Zachs

Yes, cannabinoids have much potential but in no way is THC an inert substance. Kind of an odd stance to take saying that everyones issue with marijuana is not actually the bud but other lifestyle factors... In my case, its without a doubt marijuana, although i cant blame it for reducing cognitive function since that spanned years.