Maria Sharapova Tested Positive For A Drug Ray Peat Talked About

GAF

Would that be a good drug to "inhibit fatty acid oxidation" is someone with "diabetes" in an effort to convert them to a glucose oxidizer? Just curious.

Lightbringer

• Sharapova says she has been taking the drug for 10 years after she was regularly falling ill. She had a magnesium deficiency and family history of diabetes.

Lightbringer

she used it for 10 years.Meldonium or mildronate , its a drug that inhibit fatty acid oxidation

Meldonium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sharapova announces she has failed a drug test at the Australian Open
I found a reference in Peat's article on coconut oil:

Mildronate, which I discussed in an article on adaptogens, protects cells against stress partly by opposing the action of carnitine, and comparative studies showed that added carnitine had the opposite effect, promoting the oxidation of unsaturated fats during stress, and increasing oxidative damage to cells

I couldn't find this article on Adaptogens though - do you know where he talks about this ?

Is that how we pick our supplements now :ss

NathanK

she used it for 10 years. Meldonium or mildronate , its a drug that inhibit fatty acid oxidation
So her doc prescribes her this drug at 17 because her family history of diabetes. As a pro tennis player. And because of low magnesium. riiiight

Info dump. I'm intrigued, particularly since Ray has spoken about it, so I did a search on the googles. I'm curious why it hasn't gotten more diabetes love from FDA or medical establishment in America. It appears that you could get some similar benefits by taking niacinamide and methylene blue. I'm not sure if the scientists involved in this drug know for sure if it increases NOS production, but could moderately.

Profile of the scientist inventor. Meldonium is their big blockbuster drug: EPO - Ivars Kalvins (Latvia)

http://cdn.intechopen.com/pdfs/2055..._pathways_through_l_carnitine_homeostasis.pdf
http://pharmacologyonline.silae.it/files/archives/2006/vol1/01_Sjakste.pdf

Anti-diabetic effects of mildronate alone or in combination with metformin in obese Zucker rats
Anti-diabetic effects of mildronate alone or in combination with metformin in obese Zucker rats
"Each treatment decreased the blood glucose concentration during the fed and fasted states by 1 to 2 mmol/l. Treatment with mildronate and metformin decreased the plasma insulin concentration by 31 and 29%, respectively, while the combination of both drugs significantly reduced fed insulin concentration by about 47%. Mildronate treatment increased the expression of PPAR-α in the heart tissue and PPAR-γ in the heart and liver tissues. In addition, treatment increased the expression of PPAR target genes in the heart, but not in the liver tissue. In contrast to monotherapy, treatment with the combination of mildronate and metformin significantly decreased weight gain by 19% and did not affect food intake.

In conclusion, our results demonstrate that mildronate, an inhibitor of l-carnitine biosynthesis, improves adaptation to hyperglycemia- and hyperlipidemia-induced metabolic disturbances and increases PPAR-α activity."

Correction of glycaemia and GLUT1 level by mildronate in rat streptozotocin diabetes mellitus model - Sokolovska - 2011 - Cell Biochemistry and Function - Wiley Online Library
Protective effects of mildronate in an experimental model of type 2 diabetes in Goto-Kakizaki rats. | Sigma-Aldrich
The influence of mildronate on peripheral neuropathy and some characteristics of glucose and lipid metabolism in rats with the streptozotocin model of diabetes mellitus - ProQuest

Mildronate positively affects compensation of diabetes in streptozotocin rats and alters iNOS gene expression in rat tissues
Mildronate positively affects compensation of diabetes in streptozotocin rats and alters iNOS gene expression in rat tissues
Results: In diabetic rats, Mildronate treatment caused a significant decrease in mean blood glucose concentration after 4 weeks of treatment (streptozotocin group – 40.27±3.34 mmol/l, streptozotocin+Mildronate group – 29.82±2.12 mmol/l). Mildronate produced positive effect on triglyceride level in diabetic rats: after 4, 5 and 6 weeks of treatment streptozotocin+Mildronate group showed lower triglyceride levels, than streptozotocin group (after 4 weeks – 1.29±0.10 vs 1.91±0.26 mmol/l; after 5 weeks – 1.04±0.03 vs 1.23±0.08 mmol/l; after 6 weeks – 1.12±0.09 vs 1.77±0.30 mmol/l). Mildronate was able to slow down significantly the rise of HbA1c% in treated diabetic group (after 6 weeks of treatment HbA1c% in streptozotocin group – 9.66±0.21%, in streptozotocin+Mildronate group – 8.75±0.33%). Oral glucose tolerance test after 4 treatment weeks revealed significantly better glucose tolerance in streptozotocin+Mildronate group at 120 min after glucose ingestion. iNOS gene expression was altered by Mildronate treatment in liver, muscle and heart. This might indicate on stimulatory effect of Mildronate on insulin-independent glucose transport in tissues of diabetic rats.

Conclusion: Mildronate improves carbohydrate metabolism in experimental diabetes mellitus model, possibly via insulin-independent mechanisms.

Neuroprotective in Parkinson's and Alzheimers:

Mildronate Improves Cognition and Reduces Amyloid-b Pathology in Transgenic Alzheimer’s Disease Mice
FULL text: Mildronate improves cognition and reduces amyloid-β pathology in transgenic Alzheimer's disease mice

Effects of meldonium on sexual performance, sperm motility, testes morphology and blood biochemical markers in boars.
Effects of meldonium on sexual performance, sperm motility, testes morphology and blood biochemical markers in boars. - PubMed - NCBI

NathanK

I can't see that yielding much of a performance boost.
It carries more oxygen into the cells or rather allows you to do more with less oxygen. That's in the same ballpark of what Lance Armstrong did to win 7 Tour de Frances

mujuro

So then it's a performance enhancer in patients undergoing treatment for a coronary condition, or in athletes? Unless I see a study comparing the performance results of tennis players on this compound vs controls, seems like this is another self-gratifying witch hunt orchestrated by WADA in order to validate its own existence.

Doping is ubiquitous.

Drareg

If she's taking this since 17 ?
So then it's a performance enhancer in patients undergoing treatment for a coronary condition, or in athletes? Unless I see a study comparing the performance results of tennis players on this compound vs controls, seems like this is another self-gratifying witch hunt orchestrated by WADA in order to validate its own existence.

Doping is ubiquitous.

I agree doping is rampant in all sports, soccer is dirty secret of them all,the working mans distraction can't be seen to be flawed for political reasons. The average person will realise they have been an average joe his whole life because they were didn't dope.

WADA must be some sort of cabal with a code of omertà ,she disrespected the don and got hit.

The compound in question will help, it was designed in Latvia for soldiers to increase performance,it worked. It seems to keep metabolism feeling glucose ,tennis is the perfect sport for getting glucose drink every few minutes between games. Might not be a drug for long distance where glucose supply is not in abundance.

SAFarmer

Interesting interview here by Charlie Rose with Maria Sharapova.

She says Meldonium / Mildronate is on the "vital and essentials list" in Russia and is taken as Aspirin there.
She also does not believe it is performance enhancing because " she knows how common it is" .
So according to her logic, because everyone is using it, it does not give an advantage ... yeah right !

Ok let's ban aspirin and baking soda.

SAFarmer

Better taste for one ! Mixes well with orange juice too and gives a nice effervescent effect. Can't say scientificly for sure if it's better than baking soda, but my athletic performance playing tennis after such a drink certainly is not bad, and I would probably say a little better than without taking it . I can easily take a few grams at one go without stomach problems, whereas my wife has a running stool on very little intake.

Better taste for one ! Mixes well with orange juice too and gives a nice effervescent effect. Can't say scientificly for sure if it's better than baking soda, but my athletic performance playing tennis after such a drink certainly is not bad, and I would probably say a little better than without taking it . I can easily take a few grams at one go without stomach problems, whereas my wife has a running stool on very little intake.

Don't you get heart palpitations at all from it?

OP
P

paymanz

Would that be a good drug to "inhibit fatty acid oxidation" is someone with "diabetes" in an effort to convert them to a glucose oxidizer? Just curious.
i guess that can go badly if you block beta oxidation before correcting glucose metabolism.

GAF

i guess that can go badly if you block beta oxidation before correcting glucose metabolism.

Is it possible to correct glucose metabolism when the body has become happy with its beta oxidation? Or, will the body only return to glucose metabolism when it has no other choice?

OP
P

paymanz

Is it possible to correct glucose metabolism when the body has become happy with its beta oxidation? Or, will the body only return to glucose metabolism when it has no other choice?
Yeah first improving insulin sensitivity by lowering free fatty acids, niacnamide,..... And checking if there is enough nutrients that are important for glucose metabolism like vitamins and minerals, taurine,and etc.
And a lot more, most of ray recommendations are focused to improve glucose metabolism,like thyroid.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals