Ray Peat Interview March 23 2022 - One Radio Network

Sefton10

The Ray Peat diet is whatever Ray Peat says he eats which is what Danny eats lol.
I will be amazed if Danny doesn’t now move from oatbran to oatmeal and lowering his protein intake.

Lizb

The Ray Peat diet is whatever Ray Peat says he eats which is what Danny eats lol.

Danny promotes this diet ideology because he wrote that book with the meal plan in it and won’t stray away from that.

It was funny recently when Danny asked Ray what do the healthiest people Ray knows eat. Ray said they eat the normal western diet and that their health comes from the momentum given to them by their parents. This could be shattering for people doing extreme diets and still struggling on the health front.
My Dad died at 80 my Mum is 87. My three siblings are significantly healthier than me. I wonder what went wrong for me.......

gd81

His contradictions are mind blowing at this point. How can anyone trust or believe anything he says? I was of the mindset that starch was literal poison. If you eat it you'll get starch particles lodged in your arteries and if you don't die of cancer you'll have a stroke. Also his 30 cups of coffee comment is dangerous and has always bothered me.
He says progesterone cream is not absorbed and yet I use onas cream and have had a way better reaction to it and it has helped me in numerous ways, in comparison to progest e. Onas has helped lower my blood pressure and heart rate after using a few jars of it topically over the last couple of months. Before that I was using two to three bottles of progest e per week and was feeling nothing from it.
He also says that bacteriophages are safe and they have nearly killed me. I'm 2.5 years out and still trying to recover.

if you read everything he's written on starch he's a bit more nuanced that starch=bad. They are always going to be a poor mans fruit but most of the harm from them comes from eating them unboiled. That's what the Volkheimer(?) research showed.

Interesting what he was saying about gut bacteria, about how in some circumstances you can never get it back. Even if that's true, I wonder if it even matters. I lean towards metabolism being the primary thing in establishing a good gut flora. I think Naviaux has demonstrated that pretty clearly.

Last edited:

Herbie

if you read everything he's written on starch he's a bit more nuanced that starch=bad. They are always going to be a poor mans fruit but most of the harm from them comes from eating them unboiled. That's what the Volkheimer(?) research showed.

Interesting what he was saying about gut bacteria, about how in some circumstances you can never get it back. Even if that's true, I wonder if it even matters. I lean towards metabolism being the primary thing in establishing a good gut flora. I think Naviaux has demonstrated that pretty clearly.
Yeah that comment about the bacteria was concerning. He is talking about colon bacteria is hard to get back because most bacteria is killed by the stomach acid. usually saying that sterile in the small and large intestine is healthy which concurs with western medicine views.

But how do antibiotics kill the colon bacteria?

I think we get the bacteria from our mothers which is passed down.

P

Peatness

The topic of Dr Peat’s next newsletter is ageing – why is anyone surprised he is adjusting his diet? An active 25 year old wouldn’t do well on 60g of protein a day but a sedentary 80+ doesn’t need a lot of protein.

Last edited by a moderator:

RealNeat

He made a comment about protein beeing potentially toxic over 2 months ago already!
I commented that I find this noteworthy,but as it seems most people didn't see that. Read the email advice thread!
Ray talked about the toxic effects of protein as far back as i can remember, the only distinction he made was gelatin based protein for older people and more complete sources for younger/ athletes/ recovering people. I clearly remember him making these comments, it could have been a John Barkhausen interview. He has mentioned many times that protein can be a issue, that's why I'm not as phased as others seem to be, this isn't novel for Ray.

LucyL

Maybe worth noting that Peat has often over the years said his emphasis is on affordable nutrition. He sees the way the world is going, and we should pay attention that he is experimenting with oatmeal and less protein.

Kvothe

50 grams per day - it's cool to see Ray finally go full LPHC. It's the inevitable conclusion of his theoretical work.

Lollipop2

Maybe worth noting that Peat has often over the years said his emphasis is on affordable nutrition. He sees the way the world is going, and we should pay attention that he is experimenting with oatmeal and less protein.
This.

boris

50 grams per day - it's cool to see Ray finally go full LPHC. It's the inevitable conclusion of his theoretical work.

The topic of protein intake came up in the last kmud interview, he avoided to recommend a specific amount because what’s needed depends on the individuals metabolism and how active they are. If you are young, doing sport or lots of physical labour, 60g can be much too little.

Kvothe

The topic of protein intake came up in the last kmud interview, he avoided to recommend a specific amount because what’s needed depends on the individuals metabolism and how active they are. If you are young, doing sport or lots of physical labour, 60g can be much too little.

Yes, it's relative but 50-60 is probably enough for an average person. No one, in no context, ever needs the 120-150g he mentioned a few times.

@Kvothe how much protein would you recommend for a 35 year old man who lifts weights three times a week and rock climbs 2-3x a week? I also go hiking quite a bit

Jennifer

No one, in no context, ever needs the 120-150g he mentioned a few times.

I do. I average 120 g. I averaged 50 g for years and it didn’t end well for me. Too low and I lose bone density.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Ultimately he’s a teacher who wants people to learn to perceive, think and act for themselves. If someone starts eating oatmeal when they don’t like it or it doesn’t agree with them then they have missed the point which isn’t to eat exactly like him. I also get the impression he takes not ‘deactivating our inner guidance system’ seriously which is exactly what mainstream propaganda is all about.
I agree with @LucyL that the oatmeal is about adapting to the times we are living in and finding affordable nutrition.

Kvothe

@Kvothe how much protein would you recommend for a 35 year old man who lifts weights three times a week and rock climbs 2-3x a week? I also go hiking quite a bit

I don't know, you have to figure out how much feels best for you, yourself. I would think 80-100g with enough calories from carbohydrate and fat should be plenty for someone who wants to build muscle without compromsing their health.

Jennifer

Ultimately he’s a teacher who wants people to learn to perceive, think and act for themselves. If someone starts eating oatmeal when they don’t like it or it doesn’t agree with them then they have missed the point which isn’t to eat exactly like him. I also get the impression he takes not ‘deactivating our inner guidance system’ seriously which is exactly what mainstream propaganda is all about.

Agreed.

BibleBeliever

In relation to protein %:

"Note that for all but one of the diets, protein consumption greatly exceeds the USDA recommended amount of 50 grams. Protein consumption varies from 10 to 21 percent of calories, with an average of about 16 percent."

Average of 16% calories from protein based on historical scales. (About 3/4 down the page)

Grapelander

Show Notes from Patrick:

The double bonds in Omega 3’s are anti-thyroid and pro-estrogen.

High cortisol and high estrogen cause leaky capillaries.

Methionine restriction increases lifespan 40%.

Get enough milk when eating oatmeal. Milk has calcium and anti-stress factors.

Cold foods causes a stress reaction and vascular restriction. Could have a potentially deadly result.

Isotonic glucose solution for recovery from low energy production.

What are the benefits and methods of increasing your carbon dioxide?
- Helps heart vessels relax and blood flow easily.
- Bones get more dense.

Low carbon dioxide increases lactic acid. A sign of overbreathing.

If at rest, the liver takes lactic acid out of the blood and makes glucose. Need good thyroid function for that to happen.

Progesterone and thyroid support each other.

Active thyroid hormone T-3 has 12 hour residency, thyroxine has 2 week residency in the body.

What should a listener with lymphocytic leukemia with high lymphocyte numbers do?.
- Measure both lactic acid and carbon dioxide. CO2 slows cell growth.
- Take aspirin, which is anti-inflammatory.

What causes dry macular degeneration? Can it be reversed?
- Stop deteriorating capillaries.
- Aspirin is generally protective.

How to increase B vitamins?
- Balanced diet.
- Low-fat.

Can methylene blue be taken with sirolimus tablet?
- MB is an electron donor and receptor.
- Used for Alzheimer’s, depression.

Why is ivermectin helpful?
- Anti-inflammatory effect, parasite killer.

What are good brands of canned oysters?
- Crown Prince in olive oil taste good, don’t know about toxins.
- South American sourced preferable.
- Oysters are rich in sea minerals. Selenium, copper, etc. Lobster also good.

Chris wants to know what to do about very dry skin and says PUFAS are all that seem to help.
- Correct thyroid function to oil and moisturize skin.

Dr. Peat recommends TSH of 0.5 and below. Says PUFA levels in blood can throw off T3 and T4.
- Macadamia nuts and cashews are good because low in PUFAs.

Avoid cottonseed, canola, soy, corn oils.
- A little cacao blocks the PUFA in canola.

How to shrink a large prostate?
- Progesterone, aspirin, thyroid.

Don’t need to take the full dose of an antibiotic.

L. reuteri, bacillus subtilus cultures for yogurt.

Listener asks why he’s gained fat after using progesterone cream on neck and oral DHEA?
- Progesterone creams aren’t absorbed on the skin.

Is iodine recommended for someone in a goiter zone?
- A little bit of iodized salt is good.
- Nodules and cancer of thyroid also affected by iodine.

Is a small amount of T4 at night recommended?
- If having stressful nights. The body doesn’t release endogenous thyroid all at once in the morning, better to space out during day.

Estrogen inhibits conversion of T4 to active T3. Is why women have 10 times incidence of hypothyroidism. If thyroid low, get thin, frail hairs.

Systemic enzymes get rid of fibrin and blood clots. Does aspirin act the same way?
- Antigenic traces of fungus in systemic enzymes. Pancreatic enzymes carry risk of infections, but are the best choice.

Good supplements for persistent cough and inflamed intestine from COVID?
- Lower serotonin, easy to digest foods, keeping CO2 up.

How low can saturated oxygen level go? Would CO2 be helpful?
- Baking soda regulates pH.

What causes paronychia?
- Vitamin A around nails.

Would eating farm raised chickens 4-5 times a week be harmful because of high Omega 6?
- Yes. US chicken and pork have more than 30% PUFAs.

Recommendations for sagging and extremely dehydrated skin?
- Thyroid regulates hydration and oil in skin.

Anxiety is a suppressor of the thyroid. Great shock and accidents are often a trigger for turning the thyroid off.
Fear campaigns today are harming everyone’s bodies and minds.

Dr. Peat likes Dr. Bhakti’s thinking and his assertion that COVID and the vaccine are criminal and chemical warfare.

What causes lupus? How to help broken capillaries?
- Change diet, supplement thyroid and progesterone, avoid allergens.
- Caused from too much estrogen.

How much protein is Dr. Peat doing?
- 50 – 60 mg/daily.

Listener calls about an atrial fibrillation episode and her treatments. Could the 4 cookies she ate just before the onset be the trigger?
- Yes, intestinal disturbances can disturb heart rhythm.

How much orange juice does Dr. Peat drink every day?
- A quart, for the anti-inflammatory effects. Now trying a pint of concord grape juice and a pint of orange juice.

What to do for bruxism?
- Improve digestion. Intestinal disturbances disturb serotonin.

Good alternatives to eating oysters and shellfish?
- Get selenium.

OP
-Luke-

-Luke-

That's a good thought. Oatmeal for example is a good and nutritious food with some minor drawbacks in hard times. Affordable and easy to store.

I've been making similar changes to my diet lately due to anticipation of tougher times and more expensive/scarcer food. It revolves more around potatoes, eggs, milk, apples and honey now. All affordable and relatively nutritious. And everything except the honey, I could in theory (and would like to) grow/produce/raise myself if I had the land and a few chickens and goats/sheep.

Regarding the protein: For me, I have found that beyond a certain threshold, further protein tends to provide few benefits and carbs and calories in general have a greater impact on my body composition and well-being than more protein. That threshold seems to be around 75-80g a day. With that amount I don't lose muscle mass (not that I have that much to begin with) even if I'm physically active - as long as my carb/calorie intake is high.

Show Notes from Patrick:

The double bonds in Omega 3’s are anti-thyroid and pro-estrogen.

High cortisol and high estrogen cause leaky capillaries.

Methionine restriction increases lifespan 40%.

Get enough milk when eating oatmeal. Milk has calcium and anti-stress factors.

Cold foods causes a stress reaction and vascular restriction. Could have a potentially deadly result.

Isotonic glucose solution for recovery from low energy production.

What are the benefits and methods of increasing your carbon dioxide?
- Helps heart vessels relax and blood flow easily.
- Bones get more dense.

Low carbon dioxide increases lactic acid. A sign of overbreathing.

If at rest, the liver takes lactic acid out of the blood and makes glucose. Need good thyroid function for that to happen.

Progesterone and thyroid support each other.

Active thyroid hormone T-3 has 12 hour residency, thyroxine has 2 week residency in the body.

What should a listener with lymphocytic leukemia with high lymphocyte numbers do?.
- Measure both lactic acid and carbon dioxide. CO2 slows cell growth.
- Take aspirin, which is anti-inflammatory.

What causes dry macular degeneration? Can it be reversed?
- Stop deteriorating capillaries.
- Aspirin is generally protective.

How to increase B vitamins?
- Balanced diet.
- Low-fat.

Can methylene blue be taken with sirolimus tablet?
- MB is an electron donor and receptor.
- Used for Alzheimer’s, depression.

Why is ivermectin helpful?
- Anti-inflammatory effect, parasite killer.

What are good brands of canned oysters?
- Crown Prince in olive oil taste good, don’t know about toxins.
- South American sourced preferable.
- Oysters are rich in sea minerals. Selenium, copper, etc. Lobster also good.

Chris wants to know what to do about very dry skin and says PUFAS are all that seem to help.
- Correct thyroid function to oil and moisturize skin.

Dr. Peat recommends TSH of 0.5 and below. Says PUFA levels in blood can throw off T3 and T4.
- Macadamia nuts and cashews are good because low in PUFAs.

Avoid cottonseed, canola, soy, corn oils.
- A little cacao blocks the PUFA in canola.

How to shrink a large prostate?
- Progesterone, aspirin, thyroid.

Don’t need to take the full dose of an antibiotic.

L. reuteri, bacillus subtilus cultures for yogurt.

Listener asks why he’s gained fat after using progesterone cream on neck and oral DHEA?
- Progesterone creams aren’t absorbed on the skin.

Is iodine recommended for someone in a goiter zone?
- A little bit of iodized salt is good.
- Nodules and cancer of thyroid also affected by iodine.

Is a small amount of T4 at night recommended?
- If having stressful nights. The body doesn’t release endogenous thyroid all at once in the morning, better to space out during day.

Estrogen inhibits conversion of T4 to active T3. Is why women have 10 times incidence of hypothyroidism. If thyroid low, get thin, frail hairs.

Systemic enzymes get rid of fibrin and blood clots. Does aspirin act the same way?
- Antigenic traces of fungus in systemic enzymes. Pancreatic enzymes carry risk of infections, but are the best choice.

Good supplements for persistent cough and inflamed intestine from COVID?
- Lower serotonin, easy to digest foods, keeping CO2 up.

How low can saturated oxygen level go? Would CO2 be helpful?
- Baking soda regulates pH.

What causes paronychia?
- Vitamin A around nails.

Would eating farm raised chickens 4-5 times a week be harmful because of high Omega 6?
- Yes. US chicken and pork have more than 30% PUFAs.

Recommendations for sagging and extremely dehydrated skin?
- Thyroid regulates hydration and oil in skin.

Anxiety is a suppressor of the thyroid. Great shock and accidents are often a trigger for turning the thyroid off.
Fear campaigns today are harming everyone’s bodies and minds.

Dr. Peat likes Dr. Bhakti’s thinking and his assertion that COVID and the vaccine are criminal and chemical warfare.

What causes lupus? How to help broken capillaries?
- Change diet, supplement thyroid and progesterone, avoid allergens.
- Caused from too much estrogen.

How much protein is Dr. Peat doing?
- 50 – 60 mg/daily.

Listener calls about an atrial fibrillation episode and her treatments. Could the 4 cookies she ate just before the onset be the trigger?
- Yes, intestinal disturbances can disturb heart rhythm.

How much orange juice does Dr. Peat drink every day?
- A quart, for the anti-inflammatory effects. Now trying a pint of concord grape juice and a pint of orange juice.

What to do for bruxism?
- Improve digestion. Intestinal disturbances disturb serotonin.

Good alternatives to eating oysters and shellfish?
- Get selenium.
The purple and blue fonts are quite hard to read FYI.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals