haidut

Forum Supporter
It's just one study with 22 people but the findings resonate quite well with the health profiles I have seen on long distance runners - i.e. developing asthma, lung fibrosis and enlarged heart. Those are chronic problems, and the study did not look if the kidney failure fully recovered after day 2 or became chronic in some people. But assuming every marathon run can cause even temporary kidney failure for 80%+ of runners then it is something a person should probably not be doing, either short- or long-term.
I would definitely like to see this replicated with a much bigger group, which should be easy to do given how many large scale, general population marathons occur in the US every year.

http://www.ajkd.org/article/S0272-6386(17)30536-X/fulltext
"...22 marathon runners were included. Mean age was 44 years and 41% were men. 82% of runners developed an increase in creatinine level equivalent to AKIN-defined AKI stages 1 and 2. 73% had microscopy diagnoses of tubular injury. Serum creatinine, urine albumin, and injury and repair biomarker levels peaked on day 1 and were significantly elevated compared to day 0 and day 2. Serum creatine kinase levels continued to significantly increase from day 0 to day 2."

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:emoji_astonished:

encerent

Seems like 1/3rd of the people at my work do half marathons these days.

TubZy

It's just one study with 22 people but the findings resonate quite well with the health profiles I have seen on long distance runners - i.e. developing asthma, lung fibrosis and enlarged heart. Those are chronic problems, and the study did not look if the kidney failure fully recovered after day 2 or became chronic in some people. But assuming every marathon run can cause even temporary kidney failure for 80%+ of runners then it is something a person should probably not be doing, either short- or long-term.
I would definitely like to see this replicated with a much bigger group, which should be easy to do given how many large scale, general population marathons occur in the US every year.

http://www.ajkd.org/article/S0272-6386(17)30536-X/fulltext
"...22 marathon runners were included. Mean age was 44 years and 41% were men. 82% of runners developed an increase in creatinine level equivalent to AKIN-defined AKI stages 1 and 2. 73% had microscopy diagnoses of tubular injury. Serum creatinine, urine albumin, and injury and repair biomarker levels peaked on day 1 and were significantly elevated compared to day 0 and day 2. Serum creatine kinase levels continued to significantly increase from day 0 to day 2."

I know you play soccer, like I do and I have played my entire life and still do but not too too often anymore (1-2 times per week). When you play, do you take a bunch of stuff before hand to mitigate the cortisol rise or you don't think it is that big of deal?

CoolTweetPete

I work as a personal trainer and the blind allegiance people have to long form cardio is akin to an endorphin fueled cult.

NathanK

The marathon, veggie shakes, hyper cardio, and sugar-is-the-genesis-of-all-modern-disease glorification really needs to die. It's as if people think the healthiest are the ones who put themselves through the most torture.

Tarmander

The marathon, veggie shakes, hyper cardio, and sugar-is-the-genesis-of-all-modern-disease glorification really needs to die. It's as if people think the healthiest are the ones who put themselves through the most torture.

It is the kind of thing that would make sense in a gulag or kangaroo court. You are so healthy you can sustain extreme punishment, even to the point of death. Wow look at him, he was so healthy he killed himself.

Lilac

Last fall, a young woman in my office was training for the New York City marathon. It was fascinating to listen to what she had to say and observe the reactions of other people. She got a lot of attention and admiration for this quest and her discipline. And she was quite lean. So she had all of that. I remember one day she said that she had trained over the weekend by running a half-marathon and had a green smoothie afterward. Then she went home and ate some quinoa for dinner. To me, it seemed like a belief system as strong as religion.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I know you play soccer, like I do and I have played my entire life and still do but not too too often anymore (1-2 times per week). When you play, do you take a bunch of stuff before hand to mitigate the cortisol rise or you don't think it is that big of deal?

I take thiamine and electrolytes. The alkaline minerals keep muscle damage down while doing strenuous activities. Peat wrote about this in one of his articles. After the activity I drink chocolate milk as I mentioned in another post since it was found to be the best drink for recovery. Some Pansterone after working out does not hurt either.

NathanK

It is the kind of thing that would make sense in a gulag or kangaroo court. You are so healthy you can sustain extreme punishment, even to the point of death. Wow look at him, he was so healthy he killed himself.
Barrier to health entry: DEATH. Lol

People love high barriers to entry so they can feel like they earned it. The harder they make it, the more scarce it can seem to be attained to others. ***t is nutz.

Simonsays

I work as a personal trainer and the blind allegiance people have to long form cardio is akin to an endorphin fueled cult.

I think a lot of people are addicted to it, but cant admit to it. Ive been reading a lot about this. Its based in early life trauma , literally running away from from your emotional pain and the endorphin rush is the equivalent of a drug / alcohol hit, but its condoned by society as "healthy". Drug addicts etc are of course "unhealthy"

The "gym is full of junkies" so the saying goes.

I lost a family member i believe to "aerobic exercise" (rowing). At 55 , died of heart failure. (heart enlarged). Exercised "aerobically" all his adult life nearly everyday. I believe he was genuinely addicted. He died literally on the rowing machine.

I was told once if he didnt exercise he got depressed.

Interestingly i think he had developed kidney problems before he died, ( he suffered from kidney stones a couple of years before).

zztr

I loved running track in high school and I don't understand why it's not a thing adults do. I would totally bust out the spikes and do 400m hurdles again. I really don't get why the fixation is on the long distance stuff. Adults would get more health benefits and waste way less time training for, say, 800m events. I guess it's because endurance is more "accessible" in the sense that most people can finish and feel like they accomplished something even with a crappy time. Whereas with sprinting all you get is the embarrassing time.

CoolTweetPete

I think with the advent of "fitness tracking" devices people are also obsessed with steps taken and calories burned during endurance training.

Tim Lundeen

Sounds like marathon runners need to take Vit E, which is highly protective of the kidneys.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Sounds like marathon runners need to take Vit E, which is highly protective of the kidneys.

Yep, or taurine or even niacinamide/aspirin. But a vitamin E and taurine combo is commonly used in animal studies as the gold standard for kidney/liver protection in exhaustive exercise.
Thanks for mentioning it.

“For the second study, 23 runners were recruited from the 2017 Eversource Hartford Marathon. Blood and urine samples, along with other measurements, were taken at the same time points as the first study. Runners also wore sweat-collection patches and a bio-harness that continuously recorded body temperature.

Fifty-five percent of the runners developed AKI after the marathon, and 74 percent tested positive for indicators of some injury to the renal tubes, which are portals in the kidneys that regulate water and electrolytes (solutes) in the blood by reabsorbing only what is needed. The findings from the runners’ samples, which allowed for microscopic examination of their urine, were similar in severity to those of patients in a hospital’s intensive care unit, the study says.”

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals