Many Studies Show Ideal BMI For Older People Is Fat Fat Fat

Lollipop2

Generally speaking people start to gradually shrink around age 70.
I have noticed that vital energy drops around this time and many people around 70-85 start looking more “catabolic” rather and “anabolic”. They seem more hunched over, contracting inwards, less sure of themselves when walking - like looking down when they walk to be sure sure of each step, etc. I wonder if it is all connected somehow. Metabolic energy, vital energy seems important in the scenario.

Ron J

@sugarbabe
When hormonal balance is achieved(high andogens-low stress hormones) you tend to lose fat everywhere and the male physique turns more into a v-taper with a lean lower body.
Also, keep in mind that glycogen storage and intramuscular fat can be deceiving in regards to muscle gains. It's usually a humbling experience when cutting down.

I have noticed that vital energy drops around this time and many people around 70-85 start looking more “catabolic” rather and “anabolic”. They seem more hunched over, contracting inwards, less sure of themselves when walking - like looking down when they walk to be sure sure of each step, etc. I wonder if it is all connected somehow. Metabolic energy, vital energy seems important in the scenario.

I think it's just poor health to put it simply. People around that age just are way more likely to start snowballing more quickly in to poorer health situations, like diabetes, cancer, bone/joint issues, respiratory issues, inactivity/weak muscles, etc. I would also think lots of people that age have poor thyroid function -- and this seems pretty self-explanatory. Of course someone feeling weak, sick, tired more easily (and the "old" emphasis carried on of course), etc. is going to have a less assured gait, movements, posture and etc. The problem is that these older people are probably not helped appropriately -- they're just given a cane and "blood pressure pills" and whatever this and that pill while being told "it's all just aging" and that it's normal to feel sickly, weak, tired, low energy, slow, you name it -- even when evidence shows otherwise.

I've seen how some doctors handle sick people -- "This is how long you have to live -- goodbye!" For that you might as well not see doctors at all if "help" is a verbal death sentence or never-ending band-aid that isn't even of much benefit usually. It seems -- on some level -- everyone has to be their own doctor to improve health efficiently.

The only difference is if a younger person goes to see a doctor for metabolic woes they're probably told it's mental/depression/etc. In the current paradigm it goes as "sick" or "healthy" with not much room inbetween factored in -- same with old/young. Old person sees doctor with problems and they may be likely to hear the, "Oh, you're old! It's normal to be slow, weak, bad memory, etc." If a young person demonstrates those they might get the, "It's all mental or take these anti-psychotics or etc." It's like some can't accept that older people can be metabolically healthy/active/strong and younger people the opposite -- it puts a whole dent on the system for some by viewing it this way.

Last edited:

AlphaCog

Human has energy-hungry brain.
People considered 'thin' has more bodyfat percentage than other primates.

Last edited:

Lollipop2

I think it's just poor health to put it simply. People around that age just are way more likely to start snowballing more quickly in to poorer health situations, like diabetes, cancer, bone/joint issues, respiratory issues, inactivity/weak muscles, etc. I would also think lots of people that age have poor thyroid function -- and this seems pretty self-explanatory. Of course someone feeling weak, sick, tired more easily (and the "old" emphasis carried on of course), etc. is going to have a less assured gait, movements, posture and etc. The problem is that these older people are probably not helped appropriately -- they're just given a cane and "blood pressure pills" and whatever this and that pill while being told "it's all just aging" and that it's normal to feel sickly, weak, tired, low energy, slow, you name it -- even when evidence shows otherwise.

I've seen how some doctors handle sick people -- "This is how long you have to live -- goodbye!" For that you might as well not see doctors at all if "help" is a verbal death sentence or never-ending band-aid that isn't even of much benefit usually. It seems -- on some level -- everyone has to be their own doctor to improve health efficiently.

The only difference is if a younger person goes to see a doctor for metabolic woes they're probably told it's mental/depression/etc. In the current paradigm it goes as "sick" or "healthy" with not much room inbetween factored in -- same with old/young. Old person sees doctor with problems and they may be likely to hear the, "Oh, you're old! It's normal to be slow, weak, bad memory, etc." If a young person demonstrates those they might get the, "It's all mental or take these anti-psychotics or etc." It's like some can't accept that older people can be metabolically healthy/active/strong and younger people the opposite -- it puts a whole dent on the system for some by viewing it this way.
Great reply, thank you! It does seem general health declining fully contributes; sort of like a vicious circle.

mipp

- Hyperplasia (adding new fat cells) is the body's way of preventing insulin resistance and can be considered metabolically benign obesity (if you are a unique bastard with no maximum capacity and can add cells potentially indefinitely, i.e. Jabba the Hutt), whereas hypertrophy (size increase of existing fat cells) guarantees insulin resistance once a certain size is exceeded.
That's probably how omega-3 fats protect us from insulin resistance, according to the newest research :)
https://www.cell.com/cell/pdf/S0092-8674(19)31226-7.pdf
We propose that dietary ω-3 fatty acids selectively drive expansion of adipocyte numbers to produce new fat cells and store saturated fatty acids, enabling homeostasis of healthy fat tissue.
A little more detail here:
Omega-3 Fatty Acids’ Health Benefit Linked to Stem Cell Control
Furthermore, the researchers found that the presence of saturated fats or the blockage of ciliary signaling of the FFAR4 receptor does not lead to an increase in the creation of new fat cells from stem cells, but rather the addition of fat to existing cells. "Rather than looking how diet correlates with health, we have gone from molecule to receptor to cell to document why 'healthy fats' are beneficial and 'unhealthy fats' contribute to disease," Hilgendorf said. "We have provided a mechanism explaining why omega-3 fatty acids are critical for maintaining healthy fat balance and saturated fats should be limited."

Last edited:

Stranger, having read the articles, we are aware of Peat's ideas on the negatives of PUFA. The question was where in Peat's literature he might have addressed the idea of n3s adding fat cell number versus saturated fat growing fat cell size?

Last edited:

boris

I don't understand what would be the point of this question anyways if you're familiar with Peats view on polyunsaturated fatty acids? Are you considering adding fish oil to your diet or what?

Reading these articles will give you the answer if Peat adressed this or not. It takes only a few minutes to read them. Not so hard.

Last edited:
It seems the study equated more cells to better outcomes, but PUFA, by promoting estrogen, also promotes cell division. Since omega-3s contribute to cancer, I wouldn't consider more fat cells a good thing. If the body can't create more fat cells with saturated fat, then the body will have to burn off some of it probably, instead of accumulating it. That will cause some insulin resistance though, which will pass when the safe fats are cleared out of the bloodstream. PUFAs can make the adipose tissue more insulin sensitive, which means it is more fattening.

I have no idea what the researchers meant by "enabling homeostasis of healthy fat tissue". Considering it's a study on PUFA, it probably doesn't mean what appears to mean.

It seems the study equated more cells to better outcomes, but PUFA, by promoting estrogen, also promotes cell division. Since omega-3s contribute to cancer, I wouldn't consider more fat cells a good thing. If the body can't create more fat cells with saturated fat, then the body will have to burn off some of it probably, instead of accumulating it. That will cause some insulin resistance though, which will pass when the safe fats are cleared out of the bloodstream. PUFAs can make the adipose tissue more insulin sensitive, which means it is more fattening.

I have no idea what the researchers meant by "enabling homeostasis of healthy fat tissue". Considering it's a study on PUFA, it probably doesn't mean what appears to mean.

Indeed, agreed.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I believe it is metabolic and hormonal. I’ve seen it too often to not notice an undeniable pattern although there’s quite a bit of individual variation.

ExCarniv

Sorry but fat gain is a symptom of slow metabolism.

I was overweight and felt really bad, barely can move,lots of joint pain, apnea, can't play sports, can't sprint.

Low body fat and good amount of muscle is better, no matter what overweight people try to convince themselves.

OP
ecstatichamster

I was overweight and felt really bad, barely can move,lots of joint pain, apnea, can't play sports, can't sprint.

Low body fat and good amount of muscle is better, no matter what overweight people try to convince themselves.

Not what the studies say. Dr. Peat doesn't agree with you either.

tara

I don't quite understand the need for so much stored fat for health reasons though, old or not.
Not understanding it doesn't make it untrue, though. Our bodies have much more complex systems for maintaining themselves that anyone can consciously comprehend.
Doesn't sound like the most optimal thing to expect everyone to carry around poundage of a certain amount of fat for more energy when more good foods eaten as needed (with possibly appetite enhancement as needed too) can make up for insufficient energy in the form of calories should more be needed in certain cases/times.
Appetite is one of several mechanisms the body has for managing energy balance, adipose organ mass, etc. There seem to be individual set points for fat:non-mass ratio. There is research investigating the mechanisms, and they are not all well understood yet, as AFAIK. There are more mechanisms for managing extra nutrition than for insufficient.
Since they are not well understood, I'd be hesitant to recommend that people generally try to force either an increase or a decrease.
Human has energy-hungry brain.
+1

If generalising from the particular were a valid form of logic, you'd have a good point.
Since it isn't, good for you that you've figured out what is good for you.