"Mangos Are In The Same Family As Poison Oak"

narouz

"Mangos are in the same family as poison oak. In the tropics after I had enjoyed about a kilogram of mangos, some people said, 'Oh, don't you know about mango sickness?' It's well known in the tropics, but I think it is partly because they are sort of a fibrous fruit, and partly because if the fiber isn't handled by the right bacteria, it can cause toxin production in the intestine."

Dr. Ray Peat, in an interview "Dr. Ray Peat: Glycemia, Starch and SUGAR in context!"
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/eastwe...ray-peat-glycemia-starch-and-sugar-in-context
Go to about the 28:30 point.

Sheik

There's no perfect food, I guess. Potatoes are supposed to be so great yet they contain a lot of fiber and starch. People have trouble with milk, even without added vitamins. OJ increases iron absorption. Liver has a lot of iron. Peat says to avoid eating a lot of beef, right? Well oysters have about 3 times as much iron as beef (plus they have green crap inside them, is that poop?).

BobbyDukes

And maybe this is the reason I react so horrendously to mango?

In terms of giving me intestinal upset, the mango is right up there with being one of the worst gut offenders, for me.

I can get the mango juicy and ripened, too. It's a soft fruit, and you peel the skin. Honestly, to say I was hopeful about this one being a reliable (and affordable) nutritious form of sugar, is an understatement. But my gut didn't like it. Sharp stomach cramps, each time I have it.

There's no perfect food, I guess. Potatoes are supposed to be so great yet they contain a lot of fiber and starch. People have trouble with milk, even without added vitamins. OJ increases iron absorption. Liver has a lot of iron. Peat says to avoid eating a lot of beef, right? Well oysters have about 3 times as much iron as beef (plus they have green crap inside them, is that poop?).

Who says potatoes are so great? People on here? Ray Peat doesn't eat them every day as a staple. He just said they have some cool properties (like the ketos). The nutritional quality of the potato isn't really all that great when you look at the amount of starch you need to ingest, to put it at the same level of quality (nutritionally) as milk. Plus it has a lot of fibre, and is allergenic for some. I feel very lousy on potato. It's definitely not for everyone (especially as a staple).

Personally, I don't bother with oysters. Liver has everything that oysters have, and is way cheaper. Plus, just by frying it in the pan for the right duration (so it's still pinkish in the middle), and by simply adding salt, you can make it actually taste quite good. It needs a garnish.

Oysters, there is just no hope. What is enjoyable about swallowing slime? In one? You aren't even chewing anything. You can add lemon, salt or whatever. Anything you're 'downing in one', for me, isn't an eating experience. It's a chore. Plus I have never particularly noticed any benefits from swallowing this muck. Whereas, with liver, I actually do (prob the vitamin A).

There's nothing wrong with beef (digests flawlessly for me), if you are adding some eggshell (to balance phos/cal) and gelatin (to dilute the inflammatory AAs from the meat).

If you're worried about iron, giving blood can help. I do it every three months.

yerrag

I used to be allergic to mangoes, but my guess was as a toddler I was fed some mango, and my body wasn't ready for it. But I got over it in time, and before I could remember, I got over it. And it hasn't been a problem ever since. I don't ever hear of mango sickness. Family, friends, co-workers, everybody I come across here - no issue. We have the best mangoes in the world. Mexican mangoes just can't compare.

Oranges are expensive here, so I would think mangoes would make a good stand-in for it in the Philippines, but it's still expensive, and I don't see people eating mangoes everyday, but for a good reason other than cost. Maybe because we don't eat mangoes everyday, we don't ever hear of mango sickness. So if you don't eat mangoes like you drink orange juice, it would be okay. There are many other tropical fruits. Papaya is available year round, for example, and it's affordable. Melons and watermelons, while seasonal, are within reach in season.

So, yes, eat mangoes with moderation and you'll be fine. For that matter, it's just good to not splurge on any food, no matter how high we sing its praise.

DaveFoster

And maybe this is the reason I react so horrendously to mango?

In terms of giving me intestinal upset, the mango is right up there with being one of the worst gut offenders, for me.

I can get the mango juicy and ripened, too. It's a soft fruit, and you peel the skin. Honestly, to say I was hopeful about this one being a reliable (and affordable) nutritious form of sugar, is an understatement. But my gut didn't like it. Sharp stomach cramps, each time I have it.

Who says potatoes are so great? People on here? Ray Peat doesn't eat them every day as a staple. He just said they have some cool properties (like the ketos). The nutritional quality of the potato isn't really all that great when you look at the amount of starch you need to ingest, to put it at the same level of quality (nutritionally) as milk. Plus it has a lot of fibre, and is allergenic for some. I feel very lousy on potato. It's definitely not for everyone (especially as a staple).

Personally, I don't bother with oysters. Liver has everything that oysters have, and is way cheaper. Plus, just by frying it in the pan for the right duration (so it's still pinkish in the middle), and by simply adding salt, you can make it actually taste quite good. It needs a garnish.

Oysters, there is just no hope. What is enjoyable about swallowing slime? In one? You aren't even chewing anything. You can add lemon, salt or whatever. Anything you're 'downing in one', for me, isn't an eating experience. It's a chore. Plus I have never particularly noticed any benefits from swallowing this muck. Whereas, with liver, I actually do (prob the vitamin A).

There's nothing wrong with beef (digests flawlessly for me), if you are adding some eggshell (to balance phos/cal) and gelatin (to dilute the inflammatory AAs from the meat).

If you're worried about iron, giving blood can help. I do it every three months.
Try smoked oysters in extra virgin olive oil. I don't particularly like oysters, but smoked oysters are delicious

Jsaute21

Do any of you guys eat mango? So damn delicious, i have to eat it when its in season.

yerrag

M is for Mango just lIke A is for Apple.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Do any of you guys eat mango? So damn delicious, i have to eat it when its in season.
Yes. I eat frozen ones baked in the oven almost daily. Today I saw some golden mango's that were looking and smelling very delish that were ripe and ready to dig into, so I picked up 3 of those. :drool

I like mangoes. There is toxicity there I think. I realized today that mangoes have a flavor sometimes when they aren't perfect, similar to pine trees. I've never eaten a pine tree but it is a similar type of flavor. I would eat ripe ones and avoid too many.

yerrag

Green mangoes are also nice, though they are tart. Fresh, green mangoes are cut into thick strips and eaten with sweet and salty shrimp paste. This is common in Southeast Asia. Green mangoes can also be preserved in a sugary water with herbs, which gives it a sweeter and delectable flavor. They can be found in Chinese groceries, along with other preserved fruits. Green mangoes can also be julienned, just like green papayas, and mixed into a tropical salad with onions, tomatoes, dried shrimp, lemon, vinegar, and sugar. Very good accompaniment to barbecues.

But green mangoes are not sweet, so don't expect plenty of sugar in them. But they are far richer in enzymes.

Jennifer

I like mangoes. There is toxicity there I think. I realized today that mangoes have a flavor sometimes when they aren't perfect, similar to pine trees. I've never eaten a pine tree but it is a similar type of flavor. I would eat ripe ones and avoid too many.
I've noticed it, too. I won't eat them when I detect a pine flavor because when there's a pine flavor, I break out with a poison ivy like rash.

Taotatoes

Mangoes are my favourite fruit, but when I buy them in peak season and start consuming them in larger amounts I get a strange overall icky feeling, foggy and sluggish. But I was eating 2 large Kent sized ones per day for days straight. Lol.