Mango Juice has tons of iron? Wtf?

FredSonoma

Just searched the nutrition for mangoes, one mango has 200 calories / 2% DV Iron / 3% DV Calcium.

I'm drinking a mango juice that per 8.3 oz has 200 calories / 10% iron / 2% calcium.

Why is it so high in iron? The ingredients are just: Mango pulp, filtered water, and sugar.

Should I stop drinking this?

Daimyo

Mangoes are grown in tropics... Most tropical soils are rich in iron. The soil samples I take from tropics are usually deficient in EVERYTHING except of iron and aluminum...

OP
F

FredSonoma

Daimyo said:
Mangoes are grown in tropics... Most tropical soils are rich in iron. The soil samples I take from tropics are usually deficient in EVERYTHING except of iron and aluminum...

Alright I was worried it was being fortified - I better just drink this with some milk then :lol:

Blinkyrocket

Daimyo said:
Interesting, I would've thought tropical soil would be better, not worse.

Giraffe

According to the database I use, mangos do not have much iron. Fruits in general are low in iron. However databases differ a lot; for example mango's lipid % varies between 0.1 and 0.5. So when you compare kcal you can get confusing results.

burtlancast

Brazil nuts are the richest known aliments in selenium, because the tropical soil they grow on.

tara

Do the soil testing samples in the tropics typically get analysed for horticultural or agricultural pastures after they have been depleted? Or on original jungle too?

Giraffe

burtlancast said:
Brazil nuts are the richest known aliments in selenium, because the tropical soil they grow on.
I have read a funny study about brazil nuts as a food source for selenium. Some nuts are full of selenium, while others do not have any selenium at all.

Daimyo

@Blinkyrocket

Tropical soils are usually very old, like hundreds of thousands of years. During that time, it rained a lot, so a lot of nutrients have been leached out from them. And some soils' parent rock (the rock that turned into the soil) wasn't great to begin with (rich in nutrients). Only those minerals that are hard to leach stay in the soil in higher quantities. That is iron and aluminum unfortunately. The way that farmers in tropical countries fertilize their corps don't really help too, as most of the information they get is from fertilizer salesmen (the same happens in the West and Europe, but here some Ag. Universities haven't been bought up by corporations and that provide some counterbalance)...

When I lived in Vietnam, the only agricultural shop in the district didn't have any source of calcium (no lime, no gypsum, no anything). Only after I visited shop multiple times (after many months) and done some serious shopping the owner bought oyster shell powder. I guess she figured out that the white man might be into something ;)

On the other hand, new, volcanic soils are usually the most fertile soils in the earth.

@burtlancast and Giraffe

Some of the Brazilian nuts are rich in selenium, but some don't grow on selenium rich soils, so they lack this element. Selenium is not an essential nutrient for plants. It's usually slightly beneficial, but not essential.

@tara
It depends who and for what purpose do the soil testing. I am usually testing for the sake of growing crops on agricultural land, that is currently being cultivated. People who own commercial orchards are usually more "stationary". It usually require a lot of money and more knowledge (compering to rice farming etc.), so you can assume that the mango juice comes from similar (crappy) soils, not soil that were a jungle. I have written fertilizer recommendation for my business partner, she didn't have enough money to do a full program (she skipped all micros - copper, zinc, manganese, boron, cobalt, iodine, selenium...) , but she added some dolomite and gypsum. Apparently she had line of people buying her sweetcorn. No wonder, as sweetcorn in humid tropics (in my case it was Thailand and Vietnam) taste disgusting (I had it twice - you can't even buy junk like that in the cheapest supermarket in UK or Poland).

You can download that particular soil analysis here:
http://permakultura.net/wp-content/uplo ... -62327.pdf